Question Meeting RFC requirements

Not sure if this is the right place to post this - I apologize if I shouldn't have - but I am trying to make sure my domains meet RFC requirements for @postmaster and @abuse.

Would I be in compliance if I set up a forwarder to my webmaster account for these addresses without actually setting up the addresses as actual email addresses within the domain? My webmaster account, received through Apple Mail, is filtered through SpamSieve, a wonderful Bayesian filter that is right 99.3% of the time.

My concern is mainly for my 301 redirect accounts, but I also don't want my clients (I'm a designer who provides hosting services for her clients only) to receive these emails, either. It'll just freak out or confuse 99% of them. On the other hand, if I set up actual accounts, and also set up a forward, then a copy of the email remains on the server, and a copy is forwarded. With the amount of spam I'm receiving at postmaster for the domains where this is set up, I don't want a copy to reside at the server. My clients aren't going to set up these accounts in their mail agents, and I don't relish going into the webmail of each of them to clean out inboxes.

Chicago, IL
    I don't see any reason why it would break any requirements, after all, they are real e-mail addresses, they are just getting forwarded to a different account.
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook:
    zac @ | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

Top Secret
    RFC's are not requirements, they are merely guidelines.

In this case, it's not really even recommended that individuals meet those. Why? Simple, really, and it comes down to one word : spam.

By forcing individuals to meet those standards, they are forcing everyone to accept spam. The alternative is to just let it go, toss it out.

For email, it's very simple:
    If someone wants to contact you in this case, force them to fill out a form. Otherwise, you are opening yourself up to enormous amounts of spam.

Create a form that verifies the human's existance, then sends the mail to the proper address, beit helpdesk, whatever. Don't blindly accept mail to the all too abused email addresses though.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Linux Problems? WHMCS Issues? +1-866-546-8914 (linux-14) or @whmcsguru on twitter!

RFC "guidelines" and spam

This guideline, IMHO, ensures that spam gets received. I don't get anything at abuse@, but I certainly do at postmaster@. Then, even though I've set up :blackhole: as my default address, I'm still getting emails to admin@[fill in domain name] even though I only have that set up for my master domain. Since setting up :blackhole:, however, my spam rate has dropped. My hosting service, midPhase, has Boxtrapper available for verification efforts, but I really get annoyed at having to verify, possibly more annoyed than I am at receiving spam in the first place. I've offered it to my clients, however.

Forwarding is fine - that's what I do. The important thing is that a human somewhere actually checks mail to these addresses.

What I'm going to do

I'm only setting up abuse@ to forward to my master domain webmaster account, and I'm only setting it up for my live domains, not the 301 redirects.

I'll see if that doesn't help.

North Yorkshire, UK
    You can do this no problem, as long as the addresses exist nobody cares ... infact unless you send out lots of spam nobody cares at all.

However you need to remember not to filter mail to abuse@ for spam, since most abuse reports contain forwarded copies of the actual spam mail and will get blocked. It's probably wise to feed your unfiltered abuse@ e-mail into a dedicated system, we use a helpdesk system where the person reporting the abuse is sent an autoreply, and is required to reply to that autoreply before the ticket is actually verified as from a human and opened in the system.

Interesting. I'll look into this.

I keep a pretty tight rein on my clients, and none are spamming that I'm aware of.