Where's The Leverage?

Do customers really have any leverage with any of these hosting services? My conclusion after dealing with Jumpline so long is no. They seem to take the attitude of Hey, quit us, we could give a hoot. Weíll replace you with three other bozos by the end of the day. These newbies wonít realize the problems for six to twelve months and then weíll replace them. Screw quality. Our terms of service says we canít be held liable for anything even vaguely related to it.

Basically as I see it many of these hosts rely on the customers lack of knowledge to perpetuate themselves. By the time you realize the downtime is high about the only thing you can do is see if they pro-rate accounts, to get some money back. Tell me where I can get some leverage? Need some, want some, gotta have some. Please what-ever you do donít mention a government agency or BBB. I'm looking for some interesting ways to deal with these jerks.

Re: Where's The Leverage?

Originally posted by Nightstalker
    Tell me where I can get some leverage? Need some, want some, gotta have some. Please what-ever you do donít mention a government agency or BBB. I'm looking for some interesting ways to deal with these jerks.
    Find yourself a sleazy lawyer and file a few gratuitous lawsuits.
    http://forums.webhostdir.com/
    All your hosts are belong to us

The best leverage is to pay by credit card. The money is your leverage. If they lose enough accounts, they'll be hurting. Not only that, but if you have a justified reason your credit card company can hit them with a charge back and retrieve some of the money you've already paid the bad host plus an additional service charge. Doesn't matter how friendly or unfriendly a host is, a hit in the wallet hurts.

* oops, wrong thread

I had a long and thoughtful answer all typed in, until I noticed the thread title and realized that you were not asking where's the cleavage.

!

I guess people need to be better shoppers. But thanks to the Internet and a slick looking web page, any moron can look like they are a serious hosting business -- so many consumers will be burned one or more times. Forums like this where the real story can be reported are probably part of the answer.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Yes a customer has leverage. Do some research, contact them and ask questions, ask if they can have a current client contact you.

Most hosts do give a hoot when they loose customers, I know I do.

Zach