Looking for a host

Hey,

I'm looking to get info on hosting a wiki website. It's for a game so it will be a small to (hopefully) medium sized wiki. I'm not too sure how much that would end up in bandwidth or space needed. I want to use MediaWiki software, as it's more user friendly and most people already know the layout of it due to Wikipedia.

I've been looking at DreamHost maybe, but I'm not sure if that's the right choice, as I've read that their sites are somewhat slow. Anyway, I know I haven't given a lot of info to work with, but I'm not really sure what is needed. Any help would be appreciated.

Also what would it take to host a forum with something like 100-200 peak concurrent users? I've read that forum hosting is a bit different than regular site hosting, but I'm not completely sure what the difference is. I'd guess that it is more bandwidth than normal websites.

Thanks

I would go with an application hosting geared provider as opposed to someone like Dreamhost who caters to the "overall" hosting market [with extremely low prices - lots of overselling, etc.].

To host a forum with 100-200 concurrent users you're looking at paying around $50-75/mo for a reliable solution. You could probably add in a bit more and host it along with the Wiki as well.

When selecting the provider, as stated above, just make sure you go for a company that has undersold [or at least not vastly oversold] servers - don't go for places like Dreamhost which pretend to offer a dedicated server's worth of resources for a few bucks... Now, don't get me wrong, hosts like Dreamhost have their use, but to host a site like yours you need something better.

I have a friend who uses Dreamhost for all of his sites, and they do run slow sometimes. However, it is very rare that there is ever any actual downtime, and he says support is great.

As for other suggestions, I would recommend checking the Offers section here. Additionally, if you want your forum to be a success, you may want to look into something like a dedicated server straight from the beginning. A forum is different from a regular, static Website because it is script-based. This causes a fair-sized load to be placed on the CPU, which can get you banned from many shared hosting providers.

I know I will probably get flamed for the above statement, but I am trying to help you out. Unlike other folks who may post here, I am not trying to sell you dedicated servers or shared hosting - our shared hosting is super-expensive, and we don't offer dedicated servers. Please take my advice to heart - it will serve you better in the long run to get started with the right solution.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Hello Sholwi

Is your site just starting? or do you already have it online?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

if you want your forum to be a success, you may want to look into something like a dedicated server straight from the beginning
    Are you serious? do you ever ran a forum?

A forum is different from a regular, static Website because it is script-based. This causes a fair-sized load to be placed on the CPU, which can get you banned from many shared hosting providers.
    Oh.. Well
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Yes, I have run two forums in the past, and I currently serve as a moderator at one of the largest entrepreneur forums on the Internet. I do know what I'm talking about, and I'm trying to lend a helping hand. It would be nice if at least one open-minded person would take my advice, and prevent themselves from running into problems I encountered before I knew what I was doing.

It would be nice if at least one open-minded person would take my advice, and prevent themselves from running into problems I encountered before I knew what I was doing.
    Openminded? what you're saying is just ridiculous, is not about to be open-minded or anything.
    Do you know how to manage a dedicated server? do you ever did it? do you know the effects of a forum on a server? on a just starting forum to suggest a dedicated servers is ridiculous, it doesn't matter how "open-minded" you can be or not. I been hosting forums for many years, I can talk from first hand experience.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

layer0, I was thinking the same with the overselling.

GlobalWebDan, thanks for the info, I was thinking it had to be something with forum. With the website though, it seems hard to find a good hosting solution, I've tried to search for hosting with good reviews, but it is hard to find. Do you have any suggestions?

As of now I am just wanting to create the wiki site, not the forums. I was just wondering about that. But the wiki site is just starting. Is there anything to know about them? Like, are they mostly script-based too?

Also, what do you think would be the amount space and bandwidth I would need? (don't really have a clue)

Thanks again.

Wiki Sites are 100% scripts based, because they store the information on a database

Really, you don't need a dedicated server, is useless to pay that much when your are just starting a website, I suggest you to search about a host where you can upgrade if you need it on the future, but an small shared account should the the work for now, and you'll save money.

For a small, startup wiki, a shared host would be more than suitable. I doubt you'll need a large amount of storage or bandwidth to start (probably less than 500mb storage and 20gb bandwidth).

As for other suggestions, I would recommend checking the Offers section here. Additionally, if you want your forum to be a success, you may want to look into something like a dedicated server straight from the beginning. A forum is different from a regular, static Website because it is script-based. This causes a fair-sized load to be placed on the CPU, which can get you banned from many shared hosting providers.
    Sigh. I have yet to find one person who agrees with you on this comment.

Suit yourself. If you guys are looking for someone to "agree" with me, you probably won't find them here. I am not trying to mislead unsuspecting people into choosing my hosting services -- when they won't really meet the person's needs anyway.

I find participating in thread like this is useless, once I have injected my initial thoughts. Therefore, I will not be posting in this thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    Suit yourself. If you guys are looking for someone to "agree" with me, you probably won't find them here. I am not trying to mislead unsuspecting people into choosing my hosting services -- when they won't really meet the person's needs anyway.

I find participating in thread like this is useless, once I have injected my initial thoughts. Therefore, I will not be posting in this thread again.
    You are making a generalization that a shared environment is incapable of hosting a site with 100-200 users online.

However, you have limited experience with shared environments, as accentuated by how you resell the services of an extremely overloaded environment - ResellerPanel. But that's another story all in itself.

There are certain hosts that do not oversell or oversell very little. Many of the said hosts are application hosting geared providers - some even provide support for certain applications.

If you were referring to hosts that are major oversellers, e.g. DreamHost, Netfirms, etc. you would be right not to go with that kind of shared environment, but there are many kinds of shared environments, and you cannot make a generalization as you have done.

Furthermore, a clueful hosting provider will implement quite a few tweaks on their servers, offer certain services, etc. that can potentially allow a shared account from them to outperform a dedicated server.

Instead of making generalizations, be more specific. Someone just starting a forum - 0 posts, 0 members does not need a dedicated server. In fact, a forum with 100-200 online users doesn't even need a dedicated server when placed in the correct environment.

Nobody here is trying to recruit customers, instead we are all trying to "inject" [hey, your word ] facts into this thread, unlike your choice of injecting generalizations that do nothing but misinform.

And are you sure you would get 100-200 peak concurrent users? You are thinking about being digged and such? For that budget accounts won't work. Most of those only allow 25 or 50 concurrent sql connections.
    And yes, dynamic sites hosted at Dreamhost are sometimes slow.

I've ran a forum with almost 3000 users in a inexpensive account, and never had problems (that one is now on Dotable). But in Dreamhost I mainly have static pages.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate7
    And are you sure you would get 100-200 peak concurrent users? You are thinking about being digged and such? For that budget accounts won't work. Most of those only allow 25 or 50 concurrent sql connections.

I've ran a forum with almost 3000 users in a inexpensive account, and never had problems (that one is now on Dotable). But in Dreamhost I mainly have static pages.
    You're right, budget accounts would not work - but when hosting in premium shared accounts [undersold or very little overselling], there will never be a problem.

His site is just starting , he may need to move a dedicated on the future if this happen, however, for a just starting site, is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate7

Peak yes, it would be for an online game and so when the servers go down, for downtime etc, everyone flocks to the forums. Normally it would be a bit less. I was just wondering though, not too concerned about the forums.

I'd like to find a solution that offers an easy way to upgrade and one that could support the forums, in case I do want to do that later. If anyone knows of a company that gives good support and reliable servers help me out. When I look at the offers forum it looks all the same to me! I'm pretty new to the whole hosting thing(if you couldn't tell =P).

Quote Originally Posted by Sholwi
    When I look at the offers forum it looks all the same to me!
    Don't look in the offers forum, look for recommendations. The offers forum is full of oversellers, kiddie hosts, and companies that have horrible reviews here. Just because they advertise on WHT doesn't mean that they're the host for you.

That was why I referred Dotable. Specs aren't incredible, but you know that Aussie Bob doesn't overload his servers. Good service and that is why I host my oldest sites there No risk of having a user hammering the server because all are kept below the established limits.
    With overselling they have 2 choices: ban the user, or upgrade them. I'm usually seeing the second case, because the first one was giving some companies a bad image, and they know better.
    That's what LunarPages and Dreamhost do, they try to work something out, and that is why I also work with them. I host different type of sites with different hosters.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

WHT is a good place to search, but not on the offer section, search for reviews here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php or in google (be carefull at google, you'll probably end in one of those "fake" web hosting directories where there are always the same "Top 10 Hosts".

I suggest you to make a shortlist of some hosts that may fit your needs, and then start researching about them in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Wiki Sites are 100% scripts based, because they store the information on a database
    Ahhh... some wikis have caching feature, FYI.
    One wiki I use can publish static html page after edit.
    It can generate html page if it doesn't exist, automatically, too.
    Only "search" page and a few other items are always served dynamically, for example.

I don't know if MediaWiki have something like it, though.

Also, some wikis don't use DB.
    They may store wiki structured text in a separate directory, and serve/generate html wiki page from them.