Configuring Windows DNS Services

I'm currently in the middle of setting up a Microsoft Windows based server for web and email hosting, but have run into trouble understanding and configuring DNS. Here's a brief rundown on the story thus far...

On a clean installation of Windows Server 2003 R2, I've setup the server as a domain controller for a new domain, and then verified the 4 default SRV records exist in the DNS console, which they do. Still inside the Windows DNS manager, I then setup 2 nameserver records for the domain pointing to the external IP, and at ukreg.com, purchased the domain name, setting up 2 glue records to act as nameservers, pointing to my single IP. After forwarding the standard DNS and HTTP ports through my router, I had access to the default IIS web page. So far so good.

I'm now looking to create a subdomain for a forum, which will be hosted on the same server as the top level domain. This brings me to my first question: how exactly do I go about setting up a subdomain in DNS? Which record type(s)? Internal or external IP?

Thanks in advance for any help guys,
    Luke

In Windows DNS Manager subdomain can be done in 2 ways. Depending if you want more subdomains under that subdomain. You can either right click on the domain name and create an A record which will let you enter the name or host portion which will be the subdomain. Then enter in the external IP address of the web server.

You can also right click on the domain and select New Domain. This will create a subdomain folder and inside this folder you can create an A record and leave the name portion blank and enter the external IP address of the web server. This way lets you create more A record names under this subdomain easily (like test.forum.domain.com). Usually not used much for web hosting environments though.

If you have only 1 external IP address for your web server you will need to setup Virtual Hosts for the web server to identify which domain name goes to which site. To do this navigate to the Web Site properties under IIS. Then under the Web Site tab there will be an advanced button. Ciick it and you will see identities for the web site. You will need to create one for each domain name for the site (ex. domain.com and www.domain.com) by putting the domain.com in the Host Header field. Leaving the host header field blank is like a wildcard and just assumes everything going to the IP address goes to that Web Site.

Hope this helps you understand a little bit more. I tried not to be too general..

In following your instructions, I've setup the forums subdomain by adding an A record under the top level domain, and then created a new website and added the host header in IIS. How long should it be before this subdomain is accessible, bearing in mind I'm running my own DNS server?

Secondly, is running my own DNS server the best solution, or would uptime benefit more if I purchased DNS services and ran my queries through that?

Thanks eger,
    Luke

In following your instructions, I've setup the forums subdomain by adding an A record under the top level domain, and then created a new website and added the host header in IIS. How long should it be before this subdomain is accessible, bearing in mind I'm running my own DNS server?
    That depends on your ISP, give it some couple of hours for the DNS gets updated. You can check its working using proxy websites like proxify.com , also use dnsstuff.com to check whether the subdomain is resolving properly.

Secondly, is running my own DNS server the best solution, or would uptime benefit more if I purchased DNS services and ran my queries through that?
    Update the primary nameserver to the external DNS server, and secondary nameserver to your own. That should guarente more uptime.