prepaid legal services

Hey guys and gals

what do you think about legal protection from pre paid agencies like prepaidlegal(dot)com?

For business/consumer protection?

I was both a seller and user of prepaid legal services. For the cost I guess it's ok but you have to understand a few things.

You really wont get more than access to a lawyer for a few general questions. Most of the time, you can get the same free legal advice by contacting a local attorney.

For the price, it's ok but all and all, the service is simply a referral service. The lawyers will often try to get you in the office and get a paid client.

All and all, with all the scams out there, Pre Paid Legal is a great company but you get what you pay for.

I'm cancelling mine if that gives you any indication. I don't know. I don't need lawyers that often, and I haven't found the service to be all that wonderful and thrilling. So I'll make the will, and kill it I think.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I pay for it, and have yet to use it (almost 2 years). I guess it's better than nothing and never know when you might need it.
    Modest Mouse Talk

I'm cancelling mine (MASSIVE pain in the butt... 90 days for a refund?). I think they are okay. Support is crap, you get what you pay for, the hard part really is selling.

As more people sign up to be sellers there simply isn't the market for this. You would need to make it a concentrated exercise.

If you are just a user, get it for a few months, get your will and get out.
    ::: Jeremy C. Wright :::
    http://www.ensight.org

I have prepaid legal services, but I have it through a specific firm -- not some aggregator or association. My service covers a lot of things, like reading and advising on contracts, sending legal letters like cease-and-desist or collection, etc.

You need to know exactly what is covered. If it's just "you get consultation" for your money, that's probably pretty useless.
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

It is limited, no horrible. Yes, they advise on contracts up to x pages long. And they can send out cease and desist letters (couple a month or year, I forget), and you get some free trial time (not much) and a % off, though % off depends on the starting amount.

Overall, $20/mo isn't going to buy you thousands of dollars worth of legal services so as long as you don't expect it to then it is OK. I've found the legal advice to be eyyyyeh and as someone else said, typcially of the nature of free consultations.

If you were ever sued, would you want a referal service to choose your lawyer or would you most likely want to choose one yourself?
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken