found a domain...need help buying....

found a domain I really like the sound of....

I did a whois to see if it was available and looking at the whois info it says....

it expired some good few months ago.... in SEPT 06 to be exact....

statuse says: pending deletion....

my question to you guys is....

how long do I have to wait for it to be deleted for me to register it?

I can contact the owner as the whois info has no personal details listed....

any ideas?

Assuming it's a .com, the Pending Delete status lasts for 5 days and the domain is released into the wild on the 6th day. The problem you are going to encounter is that if the domain is even half attractive, the fate of the domain may not be as rosy as you think. It may be backordered already. Also at the drop there are many, many tasters who would like to taste dropping domains. So your competition is going to be stiff.

So, if you really want this domain your best choice would be for you to place your own backorder usually min $60 payable once the backorder company wins the domain for you. If you tell us where the domain is registered, we can advise you on the best way to proceed with the backorder.

If you don't want to pay for backorder and wait for it to drop, good luck. You're going to need it. Don't be disappointed when you find the domain gets registered before you can reg it. For 5 more days, don't visit the domain and don't do a whois lookup either. Then on the 6th day, check the availability. If it's still regged, but to a different company than when it dropped, then repeat the process and check again on th 6th day. Repeat this until the domain finally drops. If it's clearly registered to the same individual as when it dropped, then you failed to capture the domain.
    Signature Under Construction.

the domain is registered under godaddy. any ideas on how to backorder from this?

Search at TDNAM.com, as they may sell it there. Or try Godaddy backordering services.

The Godaddy backorder service is fairly useless, the ones that specialize in capturing domains like pool.com would be a better bet.

I've had a backorder credit with godaddy for coming up two years and haven't been able to capture a domain with it yet.

I'll 2nd the Godaddy service being useless. Only good for names nobody wants and would likely drop anyway. If you don't mind paying for the service so you don't have to worry and reg the domain when it does finally drop, that's fine. Just don't expect it to beat out the $60 services that'll snatch up the names immediately.