How to obtain domain with no contact details & privacy?

Hello,

one website I own is only the dot net version unfortunately, I should have thought more about it when I first purchased it. It has now become one of my main business websites but the dot com version recently was up for renewal but the owner didn't let it expire and renewed it for another year even though it is a dead page and no website.

The problem I have is many people I talk to go to the dot com instead of the dot net version even if I include the url in emails.

I know my other option is to use a new domain which I have seriously considered but I have read that the older the domain then the more reason you should stay with it. This dot net domain is over 3 years old now.

How could I obtain contact details of the owner or should I contact the registry to forward my email on to the owner, what is the procedure for obtaining domains with privacy on? It says Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

If I do manage to contact the owner and they don't respond or accept an offer can I take any legal action, I guess I would need to trade mark the name first which could take years so that would not be much good as I need to do something about this soon.

any ideas would be helpful...

send an email offer to the email address on record. it may forward to the owners real address. also, see if tucows has an offer system, where they would forward your offer to buy.

a lot of people ignore a lot of emails. the owner may ignore yours. his plans for it may be a private personal or business matter.

live with the .net, or buy a new whatever domain and forward the .net to it.

CD gives you good advice. After all reasonable attempts fail, you have 2 choices: 1) stick with the .net and lose traffic to the .com, 2) get a new .com/.net/.org combo. You won't lose any traffic with option 2) because you will redirect from the old .net. So, I'd recommend option 2), re-brand yourself to the new name, and you will be good to go for your future business. The new .net/.org domains are only to protect your brand. You could just go for a new .com, since that's what most people type in. As a last thought There are many examples of successfully branded .net domains.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Hosting
    If I do manage to contact the owner and they don't respond or accept an offer can I take any legal action, I guess I would need to trade mark the name first which could take years so that would not be much good as I need to do something about this soon.
    That would be called reverse-hijacking and would not be retro-active to give you rights to the domain. Email the contact email in the WHOIS. If the owner is interested in selling he may get back to you.

ok thanks for these ideas, so I will first try to contact them and make an offer. if all that fails I will then go ahead and register a new domain or buy one ( I will try to get the set as stu suggests).

anymore feed back on this topic is welcome...

If the current owner's info is not valid, then you could possibly lodge a complaint with icann and maybe they'll have mercy and investigate since technically it is a breach of their registration agreement.

However, I have not heard of icann actually deleting a domain due to invalid contact info...
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

You get it backwards MrZippy. You should lodge the complaint with the registrar. At least some registrars take this seriously. GoDaddy will delete the domain after about 3 weeks if they don't get a response from the domain owner.
    Signature Under Construction.