Question can't ping my host

i'm another newbie trying to run a server - host1.mydomain.com.

mostly it's working, but i can't ping either my host; host1.mydomain.com, or the main domain; mydomian.com

i currently have 5 ip#s. one is the "main #" for the server, two are used for nameservers, and two have hosted domains on them.

i also have a domain with a shared ip on the machine - it's on the "main #"

my own nameservers (ns1.mydomain.com, ns2....) are registered, and named is running and working - domain names for both the static sites and for the shared site resolve, and i can ping them by domain name and ip#, web pages are served etc. all seems to be working.

in /var/named i have .db files for all hosted domains and for mydomain.com, but not for host1.mydomain.com - is this ok? the zone file for mydomain.com has only this line (x=ip#):

host1 14400 IN A xx.xxx.x.xxx

it doesn't have NS entries, it doesn't have MX entries, it doesn't have CNAME entries like those for the hosted domains. is this ok?
    shouldn't mydomain.com or host1.mydomain.com have a "complete" zone file?

named.confg has zone entries for each of the hosted domains, but none for either mydomain.com or host1.mydomain.com. is this ok? should i make a zone entry for mydomain.com or for host1.mydomain.com?

resolv.confg looks like this

domain mydomain.com
    search mydomain.com
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 64.191.0.2
    namesrever 64.191.1.2

the last two are nocster nameservers.

oh, the nameservers for mydomain.com were updated - to my nameservers - at my registrar more than a few days ago.

i searched archives, and looked in my unix books, but can't figure out what these files should look like.

thanks for any help.

jegefe

Lightbulb Help us to help you

It would help a lot to give us an ip or domain name.
    resolv.confg looks like this
    domain mydomain.com
    search mydomain.com
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 64.191.0.2
    namesrever 64.191.1.2
    I have: nameserver "my ip address"
    where you have nameserver 127.0.0.1

What does your hosts file look like? /etc/hosts
    Are you using a control panel?
    Last edited by sitekeeper; 06-26-2002 at 02:51 PM.

thanks sitekeeper.

my etc/hosts looks like this

xx.xxx.x.xxx host1.mydomain.com
    127.0.0.1 localhost

i have whm/cpanel4

i didn't include the real ip or domain name because i figure that when a newbie posts with a "dumb" question, he/she is also advertising the existence a poorly protected server. security is probably one of the last things that most new administrators get around to.

thanks for any help.

Without the domain we really can't help you. This is most likely a problem with your zone file. To start, it sounds like you do not have an A record pointing to mydomain.com, so that definitely will not work. If you don't want to post the domain in public, please feel free to private message me, and I will take a look at it for you.

I promise I will do my best to restrain myself from rooting your server .