PC Freezes - PSU Issue?

My PC is the following:
    (DELL)
    DUAL CORE AMD 64 5000+ Anthlon
    2GB RAM
    256mb ATI Radeon X1300

The problem: The computer randomly freezes when I am just browsing the web normally. It happens alot when I am on websites like Bebo where there are alot of pictures, it rarely happens when I am playing games. However I was using microsoft word earlier, I minimised it and opened my web browser and the PC just froze.

I contacted Dell and like you would expect, they make me so loads of tests which is very annoying.

I personally believe the issue is a problem with the PSU and the components not having enough juice. The support guy told me that
    "Agent (Joel_Davitoria): "Chris, as I told you, all our systems are thoroughly checked for the configurations they are designed for?"
    12/27/2006 06:58:32PM Agent (Joel_Davitoria): "Also, we have sold many such models and we have not received any such issues."
    The wattage is only 305W, I personally dont think that is enough for such a computer.

Please tell me what you guys think.

Well if it was a problem with the power supply then your computer would shutdown, not freeze.

Since it appears not to be freezing when you play games then we can rule out your graphics card.

I would bet that the issue is software related, not hardware related. Maybe you might want to scan your computer for adware and registry problems.

Have you run memtest ( http://www.memtest.org/ ) on your box to make sure that it isn't a memory issue?
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

I concur, I believe the problem is software related.

I would be very suprised to hear it is a memory issue with 2GB. You may have spyware that could tap out your system resources, especially if the browser is open when it happens. Can you run netstat to see what programs are running while your connected to the Internet?

I had a similar problem at work when the included a java applet in the intranet page. I couldn't multi-task while that program was running, but I had an old Compaq PIII PC.

Scan your computer for viruses and spyware, but if you're using XP turn off System Restore first before running your scans.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

Thanks guys for all the great replies. I have done some tests which Dell told me to do, all passed. I didnt do the hard drive test as it would of taken 5 hours to complete but I am guessing it would of been okay.

It has been happening since I got the PC, even after I reformatted it continues. I doubt I have spyware as I keep my box locked up quite tight.

I will try http://www.memtest.org/ but perhaps the problem is with software I use.

Thanks

You may also wish to consider the idea of your system overheating. I know you said it dosent happen while your gaming, therefore when there should be most heat, but it still a possibility.

Most systems that you buy come with very little help on over heating, so i would suggets taking the side off the case and see what happens, maybe point a fan at the open side. If nothing else this will settle the idea that its not over heating.

As stated before that it most likly isnt hardware as it dosent happen during gaming. So if its not heat then the last possible thing is probably software as suggested above.

Good Luck

Lane

Overheating could be an issue too. I would also recommend trying removing the side of the case to see if your computer performs better. You could add a fan if you mb would support it, but wait to see if this affects your performance at all.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

It might not actually be better to remove the case as your computer was designed to have an enviroment so one fan moves in cool air and another fan blows out that cool air. If you remove the casing you essentially would be cooling your room, not your computer. Although you can go ahead and do that, then take a fan and blow it directly on your motherboard and see if you still experience the problems. It's a ghetto way of cooling but hey, it works.

I also have the same problem with my previous PC. I think the problem is software related as it doesn't happen when you are playing games in which most of Hardware usage happens. There might be conflicts in your explorer or something. This happened to me when I opened my friendster account after playing Stalker. Made me want to get a new machine, which I did.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>