UK VPS market profitable?

I'm considering venturing into the VPS market.

Is there a strong demand for high quality, reasonably priced VPS solutions? VPS nodes seem fairly easy to manage.

Would this be a good path to follow? Thoughts and opinions please.
    BeeServe
    * Rock solid shared & reseller UK webhosting. No downtime™ *
    Now offering fully managed VPS servers

I personally think managed VPS maybe, but not so much demand for unmanaged.

I still get the feeling that most people in the UK go for the simple and basic shared account, most people don't have the knowledge for running a VPS. But the smaller hosts are unable to compete with the big dogs in the UK shared market..

Expierence says the UK market doesn't quite feel mature yet however if you look at the EU market as a whole then it becomes worthwhile. If you are willing to advertise out to other EU countries I think you could make it work

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Generally people want cheap.

Providing quality costs money and in my experience only about 1% are prepared to pay a reasonable price for quality hosting.
    UK SSD VPS without compromise - upto 250k IOPS !
    www.clustered.net

I have the opposite experience. Seems our customer don't really care the price but want quality. This might depend a lot on your market positionning and brand image it seems, and maybe also depending if you customers are kids or professionals...

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

I mean of the total market, about 1% are prepared to pay for quality.
    www.clustered.net

And if it was not clear: I do not agree !!!
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

With all due respect your prices and products appear low-end.
    www.clustered.net

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration
    With all due respect your prices and products appear low-end.
    Maybe you are calculating with the price of a control panel license. We don't pay such very expensive fees, as we use open source... and I think we are just on the market prices, no more. Making it more expensive would bring no customers.

Thomas

I don't have any experience with the Linux VPS market but there are precious few UK based companies offering Windows VPS packages, managed or unmanaged. There are a few companies out there but judging from either the reviews on here or my experience when giving them a whirl myself they don't have the support should anything go wrong.

In the end I went with solarvps.com which whilst not a UK based company does have a UK data centre and can offer the support that I required when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration
    I mean of the total market, about 1% are prepared to pay for quality.
    Well you could look at that in an optimistic way; if you keep in mind that the total market consists of many millions potential customers, 1% of that is still a lot of people

Quote Originally Posted by Padwah
    precious few UK based companies offering Windows VPS packages, managed or unmanaged.
    IMO, Windwow platform has got even worse in security over the years. VPS is only with window 2003, however the underlying structure of OS is still window and you can lock down as much as you like, it is still not secured enough. Especially if the code are old and its not been updated. you can have big problem in being hacked. So if you are thinking of offering share hosting on a window VPS. Think again.
    Managed VPS - JUSTrackz.com

Quote Originally Posted by a2b2
    Expierence says the UK market doesn't quite feel mature yet however if you look at the EU market as a whole then it becomes worthwhile. If you are willing to advertise out to other EU countries I think you could make it work

Rus
    We get around 40% non-UK and 60% UK customers on our UK VPS's. A lot of our UK clients are going for our US VPS's instead of UK just because they're cheaper and the same service is available at a lower price.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS :: UK, USA, Singapore
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS - UK Java & PHP Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by thejustbiz
    IMO, Windwow platform has got even worse in security over the years. VPS is only with window 2003, however the underlying structure of OS is still window and you can lock down as much as you like, it is still not secured enough. Especially if the code are old and its not been updated. you can have big problem in being hacked. So if you are thinking of offering share hosting on a window VPS. Think again.
    I've found the security in Windows and IIS has been improving significantly. Regardless, it doesn't matter what platform you are using when you are running buggy, out of date code; both will lead to problems from malicious users.