Best "bang for your buck" billing software.

I'm looking for some decent billing software, and I have a few features in mind.

Some things I would like are:
    - Ability to do pro-rated payments (ex. 5 days left in month, the bill would be for the next month +5 days)
    - Signups across multiple servers, and account creation(automated)
    - Works with cPanel/WHM
    - Fairly easy to customize/use
    - Works with PayPal/2CO

I'm not sure if these features are fairly common. I currently use PayPal as my payment gateway but would like to move onto 2CheckOut. I do not have a current budget set, so I'm open to pretty much anything.

I have experience with AccountLabs Plus, and it does what I want to do for the most part, but I want to move onto something a little more robust. I have been looking into ClientExec, and it looks like it will do what I want. But I just wanted the opinion of the web hosting masses .

Thanks.

Has to be WHMCS, hands down. Cheap system, amazing suport, regular updates, support etc. This is an all in one solution, with all the features you'd need.

I put my vote in for ModernBill, I've been using it for some time now and nothing but good to say about it. I used ClientExec previously and moved to ModernBill after using it, though it costs a little more it was more than worth it for me. I find it very easy to accomplish tasks in it, which is a big time saver not to mention the complete automation.... I have no reason to look anywhere else right now

If your looking for something very cost effective and handles most of your posted requirements (from what I know) - my advice would be to check out Ubersmith.

Would you recommend purchasing ModernBill from the start? (as I am just starting out). Or would it be okay to upgrade in say...6 months time when I have some money put away, etc.

I was thinking of starting out with AccountLabs Plus ($45) and then in a few months moving over to ModernBill or something similar.

Let me know what you guys think.

I'm not trying to be cheap. I just figure the money I had budgeted could go towards some other things. Including an SSL as well as a 2 CheckOut account. I have enough money put away to keep the business running for 1 year. I just realized I may have to invest more, I'm fairly confident in this venture. I've been studying up for about 8 months now (taking no risks).

Thanks a lot for your responses guys. (I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out)
    Last edited by michaely; 12-24-2006 at 01:57 PM.

I've used a few different billing systems in the past, if you aren't moving a large client base between the systems it's not a big deal changing... the more you have the more time it will take, and the bigger pain it will be.

Keep in mind there are some options for modernbill (and probably others as well) where you can lease your license (and even a light version that allows say 50 users) which can allow a more cost effective solution to start.

WHM AP 2.5 for the win

find whats best for you, but from i used MB, clientexec (wrost) and whm.auto pilot v3

what works for us the best is whm.autopilot v3

I've taken a look at both ModernBill and WHMCS and it looks like WHMCS is the better choice for me, at the moment (talking about pricing). I shouldn't base it off price, but $15/month I can live with. But with ModernBill it's an extra $10.

If anyone has any deciding factors, let me know. Also, if I choose to go the route of WHMCS, should I pay the extra to take out the branding. I think it may be worth it, just want your opinion.

I've used almost all of the major billing systems. Ubersmith is by far the most powerful.

Ivan23, how is WHMAP ver3? I have checked their web and it looks like when they can add virtuzzo automation... how is everything such as billing and cPanel/Plesk intergration compare to MB 4?

thanks

we use it more for colocation dedicated sales, i have not used it for shared hosting.

in that note, works great for me and i wish i have found it sooner

Also I am trying to use WHMAP ver3...so you used it basically billing part? right?

Whoiscart --> Silverstar ;-)
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

What? What do you mean by Whoiscart --> Silverstar?

Silver star isnt out yet, and will need php5

is there any information page for it?

Search their forums, there are a few screen shots and features. Nothing amazing. Try Clientexec too

Quote Originally Posted by Sohan
    Nothing amazing.
    Hello Sohan,

You are right Whoiscart what will become Silverstar needs PHP 5 and some info is currently on their forums.

About the "its not out yet" I would kindly ask to wait max 2 weeks ;-), if you followed up on the product (which you can really only if you used it for sometime) than you will know that its about to be released.

As for why I suggested it. The title of this threat said >> Best "bang for your buck" billing software << and here is where I see Silverstar coming in.

Shall we just wait and see for roughly 2 weeks ?
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Cool

Whoiscart for simplicity, value, etc.
    Silverstar will be their next incarnation, still in Beta; will need PHP 5 but will be far more easily customizable... from what I gather will be very easy to integrate with most templates on the market making the things like "search for a domain" window appear where you want in a template (or custom design) without the amount of hand-coding/customizing required with Whoiscart to make it look fully "integrated". For just a straight "cart" that you can get up & running relatively quick & easy (compared to the more "advanced" carts like Modernbill) Whoiscart is a good "value" system.
    Silverstar will also integrate their new Auracle help-desk software seamlessly if you add it (from what I gather from their site/forums).

It's the difference in tremendous functionality for "big" hosting (like Modernbill or similar) and a basic billing/provisioning system to get you up & running without as many hours of configuration.
    Has it's pros & cons but the OP asked for simplicity & ease of use with common CP's like cPanel and it does that at a relatively low cost.

Silverstar is supposed to be their "system to end all systems" but has been delayed from release for some time now. Not unusual for them, their help desk was quite a bit behind the original projected release date; I don't use it but it looks like a worthy competitor to some of the popular help desk software like Kayako.

Worth taking a look in any case.
    Quoting:

Some things I would like are:
    - Ability to do pro-rated payments (ex. 5 days left in month, the bill would be for the next month +5 days)
    Yes, kind-of. Not really pro-rated will just bill for the specified period from sign up (i.e. 1 month or 6 months or whatever it's set to do. If you want all payments on the first and need it to pro-rate the 5 days left in this month I don't think it does that (check their support forums for a definite answer)
    - Signups across multiple servers, and account creation(automated)
    Yes
    - Works with cPanel/WHM
    Yes
    - Fairly easy to customize/use
    Yep
    - Works with PayPal/2CO
    Yes
    Last edited by DDT; 12-27-2006 at 12:57 AM.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well