multiple IPs on VPS

Hello,

I'm new to this forum.
    As I research for my VPS and noticed that most VPS offered multiple IPs for an account. I'm just curious, should 1 IPs is good enough? Taking for example, layeredtech.com give out 8 IPs and 5 IPS are usable. Can you tell me what is the purpose of having multiple IPs.

I understand that you can put multiple IPs on one NIC, but what is the purpose since all of your services (Mail, Web ..) are on the same server. and in case of hosting multiple web sites, you already have Apache handling all vhost if you're running Unix* based.

another question is, it seems to me that most VPS are running CentOS. It is hard to find a FreeBSD VPS hosting out there. so far, i only see layeredtech.com have Freebsd as an option. can you guys tell me other VPS hosting hav FreeBSD.

Thanks

The only reason I can think of for having multiple IPs would be for SSL enabled sites. With SSL, each virtual host needs to have either it's own IP or unique port. Some customers won't like to use non-standard SSL ports so a dedicated IP is needed. For everything else a single IP would work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalrice
    Hello,

I'm new to this forum.
    As I research for my VPS and noticed that most VPS offered multiple IPs for an account. I'm just curious, should 1 IPs is good enough? Taking for example, layeredtech.com give out 8 IPs and 5 IPS are usable. Can you tell me what is the purpose of having multiple IPs.

I understand that you can put multiple IPs on one NIC, but what is the purpose since all of your services (Mail, Web ..) are on the same server. and in case of hosting multiple web sites, you already have Apache handling all vhost if you're running Unix* based.

another question is, it seems to me that most VPS are running CentOS. It is hard to find a FreeBSD VPS hosting out there. so far, i only see layeredtech.com have Freebsd as an option. can you guys tell me other VPS hosting hav FreeBSD.

Thanks
    Well, there are many purpose of multiple IP's, If you have SSL for your website then you will require a dedicated IP, it can also be used for different applications. You can also assign them accordingly like if you want to do the same with a Mail Server. Free BSD have many drawbacks when compared to other O.S. This OS is not at all user-friendly, not so common as Red Hat,takes a lot of research to find some like that. Some Softwares are also not ported to Free BSD.

Hi!
    It should also be mentioned that IP use needs to be justified..per ARIN rules.
    It's not just a matter of buying more...and paying a extra fee. I've seen some large vps's come with two...but that's about the max.

I've had dedicated servers that start out with one ip address..so it's no big deal if a vps runs all it's services on one ip.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

You can find very nice FreeBSD hosting using Jail with http://www.hub.org

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

unfortunately, there are places that can help you, but it is against the rules to tell you where.

Guess you will have to rely on the inaccuracies.

BTW, with a proper VPS you should be able to pick your OS. While you won't be able to get Windows on a unix server, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to opt for FreeBSD or Fedora or CentOS

as far as I know.. if you are going for a Plesk VPS, then you only really have Fedora or CentOS to choose from since FreeBSD is not suitable to be use on a VPS. Depends on what version of MySql you need, only Centos currently will handle the V4.

We have been using Fedora but switched to CentOS as it give us an edge on performance on same spec plus the new version on MySQL.

Also I like to mention that VPS is not like a raw box. I made the mistake when I first started with VPS in putting all the patches in. That broke the box. There are special patch releases and best not to attempt to do them yourself. We actually sell managed VPS, so customer do not need to do any maintenance, we do it all for them as soon as the patch arrived and tested.
    Managed VPS - JUSTrackz.com