Buying a new laptop. Need some info

Alright.
    I was considering buying a new laptop the other day and I found two interesting offers.
    One with a single INTEL CORE DUO T2050 1.6GHz and the other one is INTEL CORE SOLO T1300 1.6GHz except the second one has a better monitor (17' 1280x800) and the first one has a 14.1" monitor which I hate. Other than that, they're all the same and cost the same price (with a minor difference being the second one cheaper) so I was wondering: what's the difference between the two CPUs? Is core DUO much better than core solo? And how does it all work?

Thanks.

Well duo will be better for business purposes and if your data is important. Depending on the actual build it can consume more power.

Duo basically means there are two cores, not two CPU's.
    SOLO is the exact same but only one is active

I'm not sure if it's running, check with the company you're buying it from, but you can turn off one core in the Duo to make it like a SOLO to conserve power etc I have the Due and it runs fine!
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

I personally have core duo laptop and dont like it very much. It seams slow and laggy compared to my old P4 3.06 I had. I also have just recently bought another laptop for the business and it runs on the old centrino cpu, not only is it cheaper, but it runs much better than my duo.

So i would suggest getting the older centrino, not are they only cheaper, but from my experience they either run better or about the same as the duo. Get lots fo ram though, today ram is becoming ever more important than cpu IMHO.

Lane

Moved to Computers and Peripherals.
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

The Duo Core is a very good relation of performance to current consumption. The 2 MB L2 Cache are used together by the double; the maximum capacity of 31 watts is only 4 watts more than with the Pentium M (predecessor). Apparently, both cores are lowered automatically and independently of each other by speed steps down to 1 GHz.

The benchmarks the demonstrate the Duo Core as an equivalent to the Pentium M. With applications. It was designed for multi-processors and the performance can be nearly twice as fast as with the Pentium M.

Single core version of the Core Duo and successor of the Intel Pentium M; Because of the 65nm reduced structure width also smaller current consumption than Pentium M (maximally 27 Watts); the performance is comparable with the equivalent clocked Pentium M, which is somewhat faster because of a few improvements.
    Patrick K. HendersonSales Manager
    LiquidWeb.com
    StormOnDemand.com
    Twitter: LW_Patrick

If your looking for a good cheap place to get a laptop check out www.geeks.com, we get alot of our supplys for the office from there. They are cheap, fast, and reliable. Also have numerous refurbished items, so a good way to save money.

Lane

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEnd
    If your looking for a good cheap place to get a laptop check out www.geeks.com, we get alot of our supplys for the office from there. They are cheap, fast, and reliable. Also have numerous refurbished items, so a good way to save money.

Lane
    Hehe, I wish I could. I'm in Israel and I doubt they ship it here.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
    It helped.
    Last edited by Lord Northern; 12-27-2006 at 10:49 PM.

Have you made a choice yet on which laptop to get?
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

No, not yet. Guess I'll take a couple of days. After all you don't buy a laptop every monday.