100% Uptime / How is it possible?

How is it possible for servers to have 100% uptime, don't all servers need to go down for maintenance?

Genuine 100% uptime is not possible, at least not at this point in time. Networks and servers will always experience downtime, whatever the issue may be (ddos, power outage, nature, terrorism, mistakes, etc.).

Maintenance is generally not included while monitoring uptime.

Haha, I do not even think that is possible to the slightest extent. I been with a host that claimed a hundred percent uptime...but i got downtime. The closest site I ever seen to a full hundred percent is Google.

I saw a 110% before o.O

Yeah real 100% uptime is not possible.

Some of my servers have never really gone down for the past year but due to needed system maintanance they have been brought down a few times for a few minutes at a time.
    Host In Us Web Hosting Services | www.hostinus.com
    Premium Enterprise Shared Web Hosting
    Less than 80 Customers per server!
    Try us out! We want to earn your business.

Also look closely at the 100% guarantees -- are they referring to the server, or their network. Two entirely different things.

Only way to get 100% is redundant servers with failovers in different areas
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

You can create a rather complicated round robin solution that would give you pretty damn close to 100% uptime, but it's impossible to achieve that. No one (not even sites like Amazon.com and eBay) achieve 100% uptime. Also, keep in mind that each '9' you add after 99.x increases costs exponentially. Not trying to depress you, but uptime is expensive.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    Also look closely at the 100% guarantees -- are they referring to the server, or their network. Two entirely different things.

Only way to get 100% is redundant servers with failovers in different areas
    Good point. Make sure you know what the gurantee is for. Some only gurantee that the network will be accessable but if the actual server is down they would claim thats not part of the guarantee.

Be wary of hosts that do not specify what exactly this 100% uptime is for, always check with the host before signing up if its not clear from their website.
    Host In Us Web Hosting Services | www.hostinus.com
    Premium Enterprise Shared Web Hosting
    Less than 80 Customers per server!
    Try us out! We want to earn your business.

100% is pretty near impossible.
    Even if you have redundant everything, there is switchover time while devices learn that the other has failed.
    99.99% is doable.
    By this I mean that a network can be designed for it. 2 of everything and well coordinated maint. windows can carry 99.99% but anything more and you are getting into the LUCK catagory.
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!

100% network uptime guarantees usually come with a compensation element (ie % refund for downtime).

When talking about server uptime you can't count scheduled reboots due to updates etc. although with a cluster / mirror setup 100% should be achievable.

Yes,
    But on the other hand, Any type of cluster should easily prevent any downtime from occuring due to scheduled reboot and/or maint. of any sort.

In a well put together environment, with server clustering, You should be able to easily take any one piece of hardware offline without dropping any traffic.
    Rock solid hosting and dedicated servers since 1998!
    StabilityHosting Where stability and uptime are king!