Advice on layeredtech.com

Hello -

I am currently using both Layered Tech for my Linux hosting and Crystal Tech for my Windows hosting. I am finally moving my windows site over to a linux host for more security and relability. I know Crystal Tech has Linux now, but this is new for them. I was thinking of placing the newly transformed linux site on the current linux server at Layered Tech. I've really never had a problem with them, but they do not have telephone support, which does concern me. However, when calling Crystal Tech support, they always have to move it to the dedicated support group, which you cannot talk to anyway. Nevertheless, I wanted to get communities feelings on Layered Tech for this type of site. The site itself gets a few million visitors per day and will be on a Plesk box with 64-bit support and around 2 GB's of ram. Whereas the site is now run off of two windows servers (1 celeron database and 1 P3 2.2 Ghz web server). The new designers are triming down the server since it will now be on a linux host and would not need two servers; which I was told, should increase the performance when compared to the current windows setting.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

CompWorld

Seems there's a lot of negative posts about LayeredTech now, so you may want to read all these and decide the best. (personally never had issues in 18+ months with them, at neither of my 5 servers, but this is not the point here).

I would advice on a couple of things:
    - beware that LT offers unmanaged servers, so you will be on your own;
    - from my personal testing, Direct Admin performs very well on 64-bit OS-es and has a smaller footprint than any other control panel (anyway, you should check for more oppinions);
    - having the site operated by two servers is a good thing, thus separating database jobs from http jobs (I would highly opt for this solution, in case of a busy site);

Yours,
    Stefaniu "Gupi" Criste
    Hangar Hosting
    a safe place for your business

Quote Originally Posted by gupi
    Seems there's a lot of negative posts about LayeredTech now, so you may want to read all these and decide the best. (personally never had issues in 18+ months with them, at neither of my 5 servers, but this is not the point here).

I would advice on a couple of things:
    - beware that LT offers unmanaged servers, so you will be on your own;
    - from my personal testing, Direct Admin performs very well on 64-bit OS-es and has a smaller footprint than any other control panel (anyway, you should check for more oppinions);
    - having the site operated by two servers is a good thing, thus separating database jobs from http jobs (I would highly opt for this solution, in case of a busy site);

Yours,
    Well, the flaws are common with every company,it is our way to make the right decision.

The servers are basically unmanaged now. I do all of the patches in the Windows boxes. I use Plesk, so updates are also pretty easy with the system. I am probably going to add another gb of ram, along with back-up service. Since the sale of Crystal Tech, the support has been less than stellar. Where at one time they used to look into issues, but now they will charge 75.00 before agreeing to look into the issue, even if it is a hardware issue. When I am paying 800 bucks a month for two servers, and the support is as great as it is now (pun), I just question staying with them. If they are so helpful now with a Windows box, I can only imagine how wonderful they will be with a Linux box. For the 125.00 I pay to LayeredTech, I seem to get better support. The fact I cannot call them with support is a little unsettling, but since the CrystalTech support always sends all requests to their dedicated support team; which cannot be called, I question if this is necessary. I was going to also consider Sago, but I left them for Crystal Tech due to hardware issues. I've been with Layered Tech for my hobby sites (about 30 of them), and not one major outage and no hardware problems. Just, when I move a major site, I get a little preemptive, and that is why I wanted the communities input.
    Thanks,

CompWorld

To simply put it, LayeredTech are perfect if you do not require any OS related support.

Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Mini
    To simply put it, LayeredTech are perfect if you do not require any OS related support.

Mini
    I really do not bother any of the hosts with problems... Well, unless they happen of course. Since there are prob. thousands of hosts, it is hard to find out which are good and which are bad. I have yet to find the perfect host. By far though, Managed.com is the worst.
    Thanks,

CompWorld

Who says you need to use LT? SoftLayer offer phone support on their services, though they are a bit more expensive, I think it's worth it. If you require support you could always contract another company such as seeksadmin to manage your machine.

Softlayer might be a good place to start.
    Last edited by sirius; 12-27-2006 at 06:04 PM.

For the site that "gets a few million visitors per day" I don't think that LT is the right place. Not only they have no phone support, but they have no SLA whatsoever.

Just my 2 cents...
    :: Mountain Network Systems :: 323-933-9291
    eCommerce solutions since 1995
    http://www.webcart.net/

Lately speeds from the LayeredTech network have come down quite a bit to Europe. About a week ago I made a test rapport about exactly this, and LT turned out to be one of the worst. Here are a few results:

Average speed (to 6 hosts in EU)
    118KB/sec - LayeredTech (databank)
    288KB/sec - SteadFast Premium
    458KB/sec - SoftLayer
    496KB/sec - GigeNet Premium
    558KB/sec - iWeb premium
    1602KB/sec - Nocster/Burst Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Mini

Mini
    ...and, from our experience, if you like having servers randomly rebooted for no apparent reason (*cough* mislabeled *cough*), like your bank account being debited 3 times after they promise to stop charging you, like having servers being deployed with SSH firewalled and having LT tell you its your fault (eventually apologizing, but not crediting us for the week we paid for), like having servers yanked offline for bogus abuse complaints, etc.

It really irks me when people claim that all LT problems are related to people not knowing how to manage their own servers. Our problems had nothing to do with server management/OS issues at all. They were 100% purely LT support issues...or lack thereof.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Hmm, how true. So you think Softlayer is a better choice? How's their reliability and support?
    Thanks,

CompWorld

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrios
    Lately speeds from the LayeredTech network have come down quite a bit to Europe. About a week ago I made a test rapport about exactly this, and LT turned out to be one of the worst. Here are a few results:

Average speed (to 6 hosts in EU)
    118KB/sec - LayeredTech (databank)
    288KB/sec - SteadFast Premium
    458KB/sec - SoftLayer
    496KB/sec - GigeNet Premium
    558KB/sec - iWeb premium
    1602KB/sec - Nocster/Burst Premium

That could be for a number of reasons and not just LT's fault.

I have servers at savvis and databank and often push 600KB/sec when downloading backups.

All these people trashing LT is great but just remember its a very small percentage of there client base, of which the majority is happy.

Every provider has some which are not pleased.

There's a reason why cheap providers are cheap. Ask pointed pre-sales questions about their hardware. I learned -- due to not asking -- that LT recycles/re-uses their hardware without adequate re-testing, and for far longer than is reasonable. However when I asked the right questions I learned that my new host, Handy Networks, uses excellent-quality hardware providers, I was told the history of my specific hardware before it was set up, and (unlike LT) I was not given any 2-year-old drives at Handy!!! LOL

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. If your stuff is mission-critical, ask pointed questions and expect to pay more for quality.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Glexia
    I agree Webcart. LT is never the right place to host any server.
    anything to base that statement ?

Quote Originally Posted by gdtechind
    anything to base that statement ?
    Use the "Search" feature, it is in the menu at the top of the board. The full history is there.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Our problems had nothing to do with server management/OS issues at all. They were 100% purely LT support issues...or lack thereof.
    I can definitely agree there. Too many problems, a search is all it takes to find out the problems I've run across while working with LT staff.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Compworld
    Hmm, how true. So you think Softlayer is a better choice? How's their reliability and support?
    softlayer has some fast support, sometimes you may not get the best support person but they are highly organized.

I like the way they deal with abuse as well, I had a reseller who had a customer who put up a myspace phish page, they was contacted by myspace, they made a ticket and I terminated ther reseller's customer, end of story. Most places would just cut the entire box off.

I did have some gripes about softlayer recently with their ddos protection and firewalls but once I moved the few ircds off there onto another box its been fine.

Ha, I see glexia posting, I know for a fact this guy had some baaaad problems with layerdtech, tell them about your new domain mike lol

Quote Originally Posted by SecureServerTech
    Ha, I see glexia posting, I know for a fact this guy had some baaaad problems with layerdtech, tell them about your new domain mike lol
    On second thought, don't tell them about the new domain. Readers can use the "Search" feature above and get the full story. There's a reason the threads were locked. Let's not drag this thread into that territory too. It's nice to have the discussion remain open for everyone.

Bailey