Why is my ISP changing my IP?

I'm with comcast cable and in the past 2 months my IP's have changed. The changing of IP's has caused a "down" in my internet for hours. Is there any reason why an ISP would be changing your IP (for cable IPs are static)?

Thanks,

I'm just kind of scared that I'm being monitored or something.

cable is not necessarily static IPs...
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Is your comcast being taken over by Time Warner?

What might cause your IP changing is if you unplug your system/router from the modem. I think it was 7hours it release the IP address. My area was taken over by Time Warner, but with comcast i had the same IP for 7months, but with Time Warner ive had 4 ips in the last few months.

You said static did you pay for your IP? Did you setup your system/router for the static IP?
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

I'm not sure if its getting taken over by Time Warner.

I'm not sure if I "paid" for my IP. But yes I am paying for my cable service of 3 years (should I upgrade since contract is gone?). I didn't set up anything for static IP. My ISP is static IP though I know for a fact. I've had my first IP for like 2 years,then for the pass 2 months it changed into two different ones. So its a fact that after 7 hours it releases a new IP?

If your package doesn't specifically state that you get an IP, you're dynamic.

Some companies will continue to re-issue the same IP back to you over and over again so to you it might seem static but it's not.

either way, don't be concerned it's a very common procedure and would have nothing to do with someone monitoring you
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

ISP's Change IP's all the time,
    I'm dynamic with my ISP however it changes about every 6 months

If you bootup your modem and leave it ONLINE (On the network) You will have the same IP. If you keep unplugging it,etc You might get a different IP @ next bootup of your modem

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

• Comcast does NOT provide static IP addresses for residential services
    • Your IP could be changing due to IP reallocation, changing local nodes, etc...
    • Monitoring has nothing to do with changing IPs
    • Changing an IP address should not cause your internet connection to go down - you should simply get a new IP when your DHCP lease is up. It might be a signal or line issue, call Comcast to have them check on things

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    If you bootup your modem and leave it ONLINE (On the network) You will have the same IP. If you keep unplugging it,etc You might get a different IP @ next bootup of your modem

Not exactly true. My ISP (Sky) changes my ip without me doing anything to the router/modem.

My ip changes every few days or so even if my router isnt rebooted.

I think the reason companies change ip addresses is either for security or monitoring purposes.

We had an issue like this a day or 2 ago. We had a client go 9 months without changing ip's....then it changed twice in a day. They were also on cable but not comcast.

God good thing I don't get that .. when I change IP's is hectic I can't get into my private websites because an IP is only registered to it.

Cable IP's useually change whenever you reset your modem. Most ISP's don't offer static IP's on cable unless you're on a business account. Depending on your provider they change it whenever they get a new client in an area close to you to suit the IP range. I was told this a while ago when I wanted my IP's to be static at home but I'm not to sure if it's true!
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

I am using ATT (former SBC). The connection cuts many times..

I'll have to call them and bother them.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Quote Originally Posted by azizny
    I am using ATT (former SBC). The connection cuts many times..

I'll have to call them and bother them.

Peace,
    If your using the filters that you plug into each jack that came from ATT, get rid of them and buy yourself some new filters from Radioshack. They tend to work much much better =) Trust me =)

-Jarrett