What is your website / email / SQL worth?

Seeing so many unhappy campers in here I thought it was time to do a little maths.

1. What is your website / email worth to you when you first sign up for a hosting account?

ie if you pay $5 a month then this is what it is worth to you.

2. What is your hosting worth to you when your website / email is out of action?

ie if you would now pay $10 a month to get it working again this is what its worth to you.

I guess the underlying question is what are you willing to pay for 0% downtime and problems?
    Last edited by Ultima VPS; 12-26-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Interesting question. I remember going over this in a High-Availability Network Design class I took once. People are very opinionated about what they should pay for high uptime, but the bottom line is that providing a high level of uptime is expensive. Good post.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

I think most people go out of their way to choose a host that has this already, but as we all know a few hosts do not provide this..

2 if no other option but, 1 is better for me

I'm with Servage so get a cheap deal and to-date not seen any downtime.

I've been with more expensive hosts and in all honesty had downtime.

Alot of contributing factors come into play as it's not simply a case of the more you pay the better.

I'll use Servage as a general example.

Servge have spent time and money doing a clustered server system. This is fine but, you also need good solid upstream providers. Off top of my head I don't know Servages upstream providers but, as my site(s) never been down (as reported by 3rd party monitoring) I can conclude they are pretty decent.

You also have to put money into the business so if something should go wrong it can be fixed quickly and upgrades/dates ...etc.

So good uptime can be achieved at cheap prices but, you have too speculate to accumulate
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

Yes I didn't necessarily equate expensive with no downtime but also recognise that most people undervalue their site when signing up and then overvalue it when the site isn't working.

Uptime is everything. Depending on your traffic would depend on how much you you miss out on during downtime.

I.e. Do you think futureshop would prefer to be down around boxing day or during a random day in the summer?

For an ecommerce site such as this you would imagine that their sites would be mirrored and load balanced. If a site generates $100 k a year then perhaps 5-10% of this would go towards maintaining site functionality.

For a site which doesn't generate any revenue or have any business value the downtime cost would basically be subjective.

But I am going to pitch in here that spending on a site's hosting should be around 5% of the sites value.

total cost of ownership... very important discussion.

Its not only downtime we are talking about here - its performance as well - an ecommerce site that is up but slow will cost the store owner sales, and alot of them...

Very few companies understand the secondary costs associated with unreliable service until they actually experience unreliable service. This is usually when companies make the change from 1TB hosting plans for $10 to something more reasonable, predictable and sustainable...

I've been with more expensive hosts and in all honesty had downtime.
    Every host has downtime - 100% uptime does not exist

Servge have spent time and money doing a clustered server system.
    Lots of hosts have clustered environments - this doesnt result in 100% uptime - and even though it can mask alot of the problems found in oversold environments, clustering cannot save you when you are selling massively oversold packages.

as my site(s) never been down (as reported by 3rd party monitoring)
    Which reporting system are you using and how often is it checking? (for example, if you are using the free hyperspin service which checks every hour, you could be down for 59 mins out of an hour and not know about it)

Having said all of this - if this is a personal site or one that does not generate revenue - spending less is certainly better as from a purely financial standpoint, there is no reason to really care if the site is up or down or if you miss the occassional email, etc....

Indeed speed kills and an ecommerce site needs to have a guarantee of performance which increases the hosting price as resources need to be reserved for the site.

Any serious ecommerce site shouldn't be in a shared environment and the owners should have control over the server setup.