Thread: Webfusion VPS

Webfusion VPS

I have recently registered a VPS with WebFusion. The package that I have can be found here: http://www.webfusion.co.uk/virtual-p...ndows-asp-net/

I am looking for a bit of help. Supposing I have a Domain, eg mydomain.co.uk then I am lead to believe that I must point that DNS towards a server such as ns1.myseconddomain.co.uk
    ns2.myseconddomain.co.uk

Basically myseconddomain.co.uk then points towards the IP address of my VPS.

Am I correct?

Also, any other tips for using WebFusion. I have never had a VPS before so not very sure about how best to use it.

Kris

Hi

Hi Dandy_Don

Sorry for being too harsh here.... you couldnt of picked a worse provider for a vps.
    For dns and setting up your nameservers, you need 2 ips to setup the nameservers and webfusion only give you 1. there support is very bad, i have been with them in the past. did you do a search on here at WT?

There support is so bad be prepared to wait hours if not days for a reply.

To me it seems like they dont know what there doing.

Hope it works out for you.

Steve

To be honest with you Steve, I only signed up to try the service out because there is no minimum contract and I thought I would give them a try. I am currently UK based but due to be moving abroad shortly so 24 hour support on the phones was another reason.

As far as the nameservers go, if I only have 1 IP, then how do I go about setting up the DNS and my sites?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I would also be willing to hear suggestions for a decent provider of a VPS with decent support. I want to host one very busy message board, around 50 -100 people online at peak, and several smaller messageboards with around 20 people on at peak.

Thanks,

Kris

* Hi

Hey Dandy_Don

Thats ok if you want to try them out, sorry if i seemed abit rude in my last message, its just webfusion are pants, i would use one as a testing vps though as for a live server i wouldnt, to setup the nameservers etc, you need to contact them and they will guide you through this. As for any good vps i would recommend PowerVPS.com, im with them now been with them for 4 months or so, and havent looked back ofcourse i have had a few hiccups trying to sort my vps out for my needs though the support is good, i only use there email support so dont know what there ike via phone, though they reply to any issues or support you may need within minutes like 15 mins max.

Just search these forums you will find some good providers.

Steve

You can use 1 IP for 2 Nameservers, this is completely possible. But you would need to contact Webfusion and they'll guide you through it.

Does it have to be Windows ?

You'll be far better off with a unix VPS, you'll also be far better of with a quality provider over webfusion.
    Last edited by net; 12-26-2006 at 09:35 PM.

Hi there,

We are running both ASP.NET and PHP Applications. I know PHP runs on both but I am not up on ASP.NET as this is not my area of expertise.

I know how to set up the Nameservers with two different IPs, but if I only have the one from WebFusion, then is it a case of using that IP for both NS1 and NS2?

Cheers,

Kris

I have tried setting both nameservers to the same IP and they appear to work. Is this a bad idea? And can someone explain why Linux is a better option, other than cost?

Cheers,

Kris

*nux gives far better performance due to the way virtualization is implemented.

Having both nameservers on the same IP/server/network is always a bad idea as if this goes all your sites/email/etc are offline for a while. even if you bring it back in 10 minutes it'll all be down for some time due to caching.
    UK SSD VPS without compromise - upto 250k IOPS !
    www.clustered.net

Reiteration,

this makes sense to me. So would it be worth while buying another IP address from Webfusion?

Also, how would I be able to sort my ASP.NET issue, would it run with Linux?

Kris

Another IP won't make any difference as they will be on the same vps.

Ideally you should have dns on seperate servers and seperate networks.

I have no idea how you would sort your ASP.NET issues as I don't have anything todo/use anything from micro$oft :-)
    UK SSD VPS without compromise - upto 250k IOPS !
    www.clustered.net