* Emergency: Plesk for Windows restore fails - all backups

My server crashed the other day and during the reload, the datacenter mistakenly erased my data partition, thus deleting all of my web hosting accounts and associated data. At first I wasn't too worried since I keep at least 5-7 copies of Plesk backups. The problem is, every one of those backups has failed to restore.

I get the following error:

"Failed to restore server settings : Data type mismatch in criteria expression."

This happens even when I pick and choose accounts and even when I check or uncheck various options. Anyone have any ideas how to get around this? I've been down for about a week now and I'm bleeding customers.

The backups were done in Plesk 7.6 and I've tried restoring them for several days via 7.6 until I just upgraded to 8. There's about 50 accounts total, only a handful have databases attached to them.

Thanks for any help anyone could provide

Are you able to put in a ticket with support at plesk? We had similar problems with 7.6 which almost ruined our business.

My license is through my data center so up until now I've been relying on them. I did however file a ticket this morning with SWSoft and at this stage I am willing to pay their $75 /hr. rate for support. They haven't yet responded however and if past tickets are any indication, it will take 2 days to respond and then they'll tell me to through my DC. By then I won't have any customers left.

So I guess I'm stuck. I can't restore the data, the DC has no clue and SWSoft just wants my money. How did you end up solving this problem? Was SWSoft able to help?

I also just called SwSoft and they advised me that I'd first have to purchase a valid license (which I own, not the DC) before they could offer me any support. So it doesn't look good.

We had our DC submit a ticket on our behalf and the SWSoft crew came along but were unable to fix plesk problems.

Lucky we had an image backup of the HDD so did a full system restore - ripped out plesk and installed a new control panel.

Glad to say that only one customer left and everyone else loved the new CP.

Were you experiencing the same exact error or just a similar one? How long did it take them to respond & "resolve" your issue? I'm just wondering what my chances are that this can be fixed. The SWSoft forums have been no help and I can't find any specific information on the Plesk restores failing.

I don't think the problem was the same but SwSoft were unable to solve our problem. Lucky we had a backup image which we used to restore. Now thank-god the days of plesk are long gone .

I can only suggest you try 4psa as they have plenty on Plesk knowledge and may be able to help you. An alternative is to try to look inside the backups and see how they're made (try rename it as .zip file, or a tar.gz) and try to extract the data manually.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.

Quote Originally Posted by gbjbaanb
    I can only suggest you try 4psa as they have plenty on Plesk knowledge and may be able to help you. An alternative is to try to look inside the backups and see how they're made (try rename it as .zip file, or a tar.gz) and try to extract the data manually.
    Thanks for the info. I was already able to unzip the psa so I do have access to the raw data. However restoring it all would be a fairly huge task (especially considering I'm away visiting family for the Christmas holiday). So I'd rather make sure the backups are not usable before doing it all manually.

Plesk 7.6 backups are NOT compatible with Plesk 8. You'll have to first install Plesk 7.6, restore your backups, and then upgrade to 8.

If your datacenter deleted all your data, I'm sure they're willing to put Plesk 7.6 back on your server.

If this doesn't work, perhaps hire someone to take a look at it? I'm more of a Linux guy, but I'd be happy to take a look at it for you (for free).
    Last edited by sgarbus; 12-26-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    Plesk 7.6 backups are NOT compatible with Plesk 8. You'll have to first install Plesk 7.6, restore your backups, and then upgrade to 8.
    7.6 was on the server for the last 4 days and the datacenter was unable to restore the data there either (same issue). They eventually released the server to me on Friday whereupon I made the call to try Plesk 8 since I couldn't get the backups to restore either.

The thing is, the issue affects all of my backups. I've got about 5-7 total and none of them work. It's very strange.

Take a look at my edit.

I had this problem. I ended up restoring the backups manually, one by one. I subsequently removed plesk and went to Helm after that. Although this doesn't help you now, I suggest you consider a different control panel as well.

~Garrett

Okay, I actually got a solution for this from SWSoft of all places.

"This is known problem, while restoring backup to server with Plesk using MS Access as engine, so I switched database engine to mysql, and error is gone"

So while I'm not sure how they fixed it, this apparently is one of those many known problems with Plesk that only they seem to know how to fix. The good news then is that my backups can be restored.

The bad news? I've already manually restored every single account. It took me just over twelve hours. I got the ticket about five minutes after I finished.

Quote Originally Posted by digisquid
    The bad news? I've already manually restored every single account. It took me just over twelve hours. I got the ticket about five minutes after I finished.
    That always happens.

Remember to always test your restores, don't settle in for that false sense of security that your backup is going to work just because it backed up. You have to test restoring from time to time to make sure it's really working.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>