Question A large VPS or 2 small ones: Gurus, what do u think?

Hello there,

First of all, Merry Christmas and happy new year to all of you

Here is my dilemma, I am planning to move to a VPS my MythTV community forum to allow further growth, and provide better hosting. My actual host struggle from time to time with our load on a shared server even if my site, I still quite small...
    We usually have 30 to 50 members online, with peeks to 150members when we get digged etc

Since Mysql is the ressource eater in my case I was wondering what would be better:
    - 1 large VPS (768 MB guaranteed with a maximum RAM to 1536 MB)
    or
    - 2 smaller VPS (384 MB guaranteed with a maximum RAM to 768 MB)
    The idea with 2 VPS would be to have one dedicated to Mysql, with no other daemon running, no apache, no email, nothing excepts mysql and to have the second one taking care of apache, email server, etc...

so what do you think guys? What would be the best way to go? A large one or 2 small ones?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Regards,
    Ludo
    Regards,
    Ludovic Coumétou
    Founder of the MythTV Community Website :: MythTVtalk.com :: Latest MythTV News

I think for this you need to go for the one large VPS. I'm just thinking that if you buy the two VPS, even from the same company transfer to/from the VPS will be counted so you will get a very nasty bill. So unless they host can work out something the large one might be your only choice
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Is there any way you can either use the host's dedicated MySql or have a private LAN between your VPS's?

Hi,

What would you be paying to have that vps?

I think you should consider a dedicated for the long run and to not share anything with anyone.

Regards,

Thanks for all your replies.

I cannot afford a dedicated as my website is a Non-profit one and we are only relying on donation and Adsense, which does not bring much

If I go with a large VPS it would cost me around 45 EUR at EuroVPS and if I was going with 2 small ones, 2 x 25 EUR. (cost per month obviously )

a2b2, I never thought of the traffic that would be generated between both VPS... Thanks for pointing this out

Cheers,
    Ludo
    Regards,
    Ludovic Coumétou

786MB of ram seems like major overkill even for 150 users

I think 2 VPS with a private switch would be ideal.

What forum software are you using?

I use phpbb a bit modded... The German and the English board use the same user database/etc while being distinct.... The URL is in my signature if you want to have a look.

What would be the right amount of RAM for 250 members simultaneous at max?
    Regards,
    Ludovic Coumétou

You can find a 512MB unmanaged dedicated server for 50 EUR in end of year sales. VPS i not a good solution for such forums.

Hello!

You have a nice community there What about CPU usage? Ram isn't the only important thing. What is EuroVPS advice? 250 simultaneous connections is a bit high...
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!