File Sharing Between Windows and Linux

Hello folks.

I'm hoping you can help me out in getting brushed up on an area of Linux that I've not yet had the opportunity to study much. I am an intermediate/advanced user but I have a feeling I'm going to be needing this at work soon.

OK, so I have my Linux machine sitting next to me. Standard DNS/Mail/Webserver setup with static IP, configured with a domain. No problems there. I have my XP box sitting next to me with a 40 gig hard drive that is near capacity.

I need to free up some space on this drive, and a good 30 gigs of this data I would like to move over to my Linux system anyway.

What would be the quickest, and easiest way for this to happen? Could someone kindly point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
    | John Edel Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!

Install Samba.

I was able to install it on my centos based server via yum Samba ( http://www.samba.org ). Theres plenty of documentation on samba's site about configuration.

This will allow you to map windows drives to your samba shares. I have also setup a "Send to" to my right-click so I can copy files onto my servers.

Failing that, you can always use FTP.

Install an FTP server, and skip the proprietary Microsoft protocols altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by tamasrepus
    Install an FTP server, and skip the proprietary Microsoft protocols altogether.

True. I have an FTP server installed. I just don't particularly like the idea of having to upload 30something gigs of sh*t through FTP. Sounds like it would take awhile.
    | John Edel Jetfire Networks L.L.C. Trusted Hosting Solutions
    | Consistent, Reliable, Stable OpenVZ & KVM Virtual Private Servers
    | SpamWall AV & Full SMTP Filtering
    Now an SSLStore Titanium Partner!

no difference 30gigs is 30gigs over FTP or smb.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by 6PM
    True. I have an FTP server installed. I just don't particularly like the idea of having to upload 30something gigs of sh*t through FTP. Sounds like it would take awhile.
    It'll take a while whether you are using FTP or SMB. I personally don't like the idea of copying stuff through SMB, and the pain of recovering if something fails (which is relatively easy with a decent FTP client).

FTP is significantly more efficient than SMB, which would translate into better transfer rates.
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."