Canadian Web Host

I am looking to build my first website for my small company. My requirements are simple... I just need a few pages with some images. I was thinking of some of the smaller packages from either ISQ solutions or iweb.ca.
    Does anyone have any advice? Is it better to use a server close to me (Montreal)?

And another question, should I register the domain name with the host server, or go through a registrar? It seems more expensive to use a registrar, but then do I have less control over the name?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hello Jess

Welcome to WHT.

If you don't mind that I ask you, why are you looking specificaly for a canadian Host?
    Also, do you have a budget in mind?

And another question, should I register the domain name with the host server, or go through a registrar? It seems more expensive to use a registrar, but then do I have less control over the name?
    You can still register it cheap with registrars like powerpipe.com or namecheap.com
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Thanks for the quick reply!
    I don't actually have a reason for going with a Canadian host, other than I am Canadian! Do you know of any drawbacks for using a host outside of the country? Should I be looking at US hosts as well?
    (sorry if this is a silly question, I am very new to this!)

My budget is between $10-20/month.

It's really up to you where you want to host. If the majority of your visitors are Canadian based then having hosting in Canada wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. But then again, your visitors probably won't see a difference in loading speed if you were to host in the States.

Your requirements doesn't seem to be complicated and your budget is reasonable. Definitely check out iWeb.ca They have an excellent reputation here at WHT.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

There aren't really many drawbacks besides the fact your site won't be hosted in the same country which to some make a different and to others it don't.

An example we had was when we had multiple MP's approach us for hosting they wanted to be on our servers in Canada because they were running for Canadian government and it could be an embrassment to them if someone did a whois and seen they were using a US based host....kinda like supporting your own country.

I don't actually have a reason for going with a Canadian host, other than I am Canadian! Do you know of any drawbacks for using a host outside of the country?
    Not really, indeed, most of the canadians company have their servers in the USA.

Are you planing to use any software on your site (like a gallery, forum, etc)? if yes, do you already know which one? I'm asking you this, because that may help you to narrow your search.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

It really depends on which provider you select - but, a general rule of thumb would be to purchase your domain separately from your hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by JessB
    Do you know of any drawbacks for using a host outside of the country?
    Another reason you may want to keep your site on Canadian soil is that the laws of where the server are apply to your site.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by MH-Gary
    Another reason you may want to keep your site on Canadian soil is that the laws of where the server are apply to your site.
    Do you think the laws of the contry influence the server location?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Not really, indeed, most of the canadians company have their servers in the USA.

Are you planing to use any software on your site (like a gallery, forum, etc)? if yes, do you already know which one? I'm asking you this, because that may help you to narrow your search.
    I will have to disagree with you on that.
    Alex Maleki -/- 1.866.596.8401
    iTeraWeb Solutions -\- Quality cPanel, Unlimited Reseller, and A-Z VoIP Termination.
    http://www.iteraweb.com | 24x7x365 Phone/Chat Support

I'm not sure that MOST Canadian webhosts have their servers in the US. At least in our experience this is not true.
    Dan Bulmer
    CRUSE Hosting Services
    http://www.crusehosting.com
    Full H-SPhere Clustered Servers

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Do you know of any drawbacks for using a host outside of the country? Should I be looking at US hosts as well?
    (sorry if this is a silly question, I am very new to this!)

My budget is between $10-20/month.
    Actually if your small company will be targeting Canadians then hosting your site outside of Canada will be a drawback for you.

On the other side of the coin, I will mention the advantage for hosting your site on a Canadian based server - once it has been optimized for search results it will rank on Canadian search results.

For example ever noticed on google, yahoo, msn dot ca there is a little box you can check to narrow the search results to pages from Canada, your site would appear in those results (again optimizing your site is key)

It is great you want to host your site in Canada - not to mention you'll be charge in Canadian dollars dollars and not US.

With your budget of $10-20/month you shouldn't have a problem finding a good Canadian host.

As for registering your domain buy it separately nothing worse than having your host disappear and trying to make a dns name change. I suggest namecheap for a dot com/net/org for a dot ca you may want to look at domainsatcost dot ca
    PrimeHost Inc. - Canadian Web Hosting PrimeHost.ca - Canada's Prime Web Host
    █ Reliable Web Hosting for Business and Personal Websites on Canadian Servers

once it has been optimized for search results it will rank on Canadian search results.
    That depends also of the TLD, if she have a .ca domain, to be hosted on a Armenian host (to give an example) wont make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by butleger
    Do you think the laws of the contry influence the server location?
    I know a lot of Canadians prefer there site to be in Canada because they know their own laws and when there is a major change to their civil liberties they are made aware through the media. We also have the option to change those laws through voting and other democratic ways.

When laws change in the US that affect civil liberties those changes usually do not filter into our media in Canada. We also have no way to protest those changes being from another country.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

I don't actually have a reason for going with a Canadian host, other than I am Canadian!
    And why not!!

i've been tempted to get Canadian hosting just to be 'different'

Quote Originally Posted by zlod
    And why not!!

i've been tempted to get Canadian hosting just to be 'different'
    Why need to be different: There's many valid reasons to choose one or the other but 'being different' -- leave that for pc and macs

What I'd consider valid reasons:

1. Legislation as referenced previously in the thread.
    2. Supporting local providers who utilize other local providers -- e.g. supporting your local economy rather than some afar.
    3. Ability to wander over to their office and beat their representatives if necessary.

If you're attempting to get a local provider for speed of bandwidth or SEO you're wasting your time.

Best of luck with the hunt - here's a few names to get you started:

Netfirms: So-so support, decent bandwidth and competitive pricing structures.

(The rest I know use US bandwidth!)
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Why need to be different: There's many valid reasons to choose one or the other but 'being different' -- leave that for pc and macs
    I only have personal sites - and i see nothing wrong with considering getting hosting from a host in another country for no better reason than the IP will resolve to an interesting country.

More and more information is being given regarding the website you're visiting or the geographical location of the sender of the email (indeed Horde displays a flag by default).

So - with regard to the original poster - i would suggest that Canadian hosting is almost essential. Firstly, as others have said it will make Google listings that little bit easier, second it ensures any emails sent from you will be flagged as 'Canadian'.

as far as an actual suggestion, i'd give a look at budgethost.ca. they also run budgetreseller and purchased another shared company not long ago.

i used them briefly and had absolutely no issues. the only reason i left was that i found something that better suited my needs elsewhere.

here are a couple of budgethost reviews for your viewing:

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...ght=budgethost

and

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...ght=budgethost

the owner, lubby, seems to be pretty active around these parts as well.

iweb.ca is a major player as far as montreal web hosts go. I cant think of any other montreal based companies.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

Well you will find alot of hosts that are based in another country but their servers are located in the U.S.
    I know Steve from tera-byte.com have their own data center, servers IN Canada.
    I think they've been around 10 years, at least.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

iweb.com is a good choice for Canada. Located in Montreal, they own 2 DC and provide good support.
    For a free Internet !

iweb.com is a good choice for Canada. Located in Montreal, they own 2 DC and provide good support.
    iWeb8.com or iWeb.ca not iweb.com.
    :: Martin Leclair
    :: Linkedin Profile

You could also consider hostpapa.ca which is located in Toronto if you plan to host at Linux computers. They offer a 30 days Money-Back Guarantee so you can alwasy try them out.

I am an iweb customer and am happy with them.

The thing to consider is network HOPS required for your target audience.
    Local hosting providers tend to work out good peering arrangements with local ISPs.

I live in montreal and get to iweb within 6 hops.
    My provider is Videotron (local cable company).
    It takes me 16 to get to godaddy.com

You may want to try doing a traceroute to the hosts you are considering yourself from your own PC.

There are also hosted traceroute tools available so you can see how they size up from there. One such site I like to use is nwtools.com. They appear to be hosted at ev1servers which I believe is out of Texas.

httpsolution.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xana
    You could also consider hostpapa.ca which is located in Toronto if you plan to host at Linux computers. They offer a 30 days Money-Back Guarantee so you can alwasy try them out.
    And what exactly is your affiliation with hostpapa?
    I was hoping after seeing their advertising around town that they would be a legitimate operation.

Based on your post alone I can already tell they're another Toronto provider going down the tubes even before starting :/
    What's up with that?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

What are the domains you are hosting with hostpapa.ca?

Quote Originally Posted by Xana

Based on your post alone I can already tell they're another Toronto provider going down the tubes even before starting :/
    What's up with that?
    There are alot of good providers here in Toronto - great city and great infrastructure.

Hopefully this provider mentioned here is an example of the good ones and not one of the bad ones