Thread: Footer div

Footer div

I decided this old dog needed to learn some new tricks, so I just finished doing an entire layout with divs instead of tables. I'm surprised this is my first trip here about this, but I made it to the end and got within 99.X% of the same table layout.

Anyhoo, I got down to the footer and am having a bit of an issue. I've got a header div, with a main div below that, it has a left and right div inside it. Now below that main div I'm trying to add the footer div.

If I add margin-top to the footer CSS, I get the appropriate margin between the main div and the footer div in IE. In Firefox it is still flush with the bottom of the main div. If I add a br style="clear:both" tag between the 2 divs, I then get the appropriate margin in Firefox, but an additional line break in IE. A break tag with no style results in the same in IE, still flush in Firefox (with the clear:both added to the CSS).

Any ideas?

PHP Code:
    <div id="header"></div>
       <
    div id="bodywrap">
         <
    div id="leftcontent"></div>
         <
    div id="rightcontent"></div>
       </
    div>
    <
    div id="footer"></div>

#bodywrap { width:750px; margin-top:7px }
    #footer { clear:both; width:750px; margin-top:7px; padding:3px 0px 3px 0px  } 
    Shawn Kerr

First off, add &nbsp; to your divs so they aren't empty and try it with your css. DIVs aren't displayed the same in IE and FFox if they are empty.
    Dyslexics Have More Fnu

They're not empty, I just took out the irrelevant content inside them for posting.

Guess I should've made mention of that.
    Shawn Kerr

Use clear:left, clear:right or clear:all instead of clear:both. If you're going to clear lots of floats, use <div class="clear"></div> (with css: div.clear { clear: all; }) between divs where you want to clear floats.
    Dyslexics Have More Fnu

Anything other than clear:both, the whole layout gets messed up. It's like the footer takes over the entire layout. With clear:both it looks right, there's just not a margin. I hadn't tried the div idea, but it didn't work.

Just tried with a table, with the same CSS, and it works perfect of course.

The 2 things that should've been a pain in the *** for me, went quite easy. This seemingly simple thing is being a pain.
    Shawn Kerr

Use clear:left, clear:right or clear:all
    There is no such thing as 'clear: all'.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

Moved to Web Design and Content, probably better here.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Not a problem Tyler. I'm so used to going to the Programming forum I guess.

There is no such thing as 'clear: all'.
    I didn't think there was, but sometimes I get surprised.

It doesn't seem to be clearing the bodywrap div at all. I had to make a change in the rightcontent div and when it shortened up, the footer followed it right up the layout, instead of staying below like I would expect.

That's either typical div behavior or a problem.

I'm glad this is more of an experiment on whether I could actually do a tableless layout rather than relying it. I think I'll stick with what I know. Tables don't take [me] days to figure out and I don't have to hack them to work in multiple browsers, they just work.
    Shawn Kerr