question if server goes down

If a plesk linux server goes down...and it acts as the DNS server if there were MX records to a third party email company, will i loose all email sent to me during that outage?

Yes you will

Quote Originally Posted by qserver
    Yes you will
    Can you elaborate? I'm curious to know why I would still receive emails.

I'm pretty sure he meant "yes you will lose all emails sent to you during the outage"

If the mail server can't get your MX records, it won't know where to send it.

Quote Originally Posted by ppc123
    It might still be in the senders or senders ISP cache
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    I'm pretty sure he meant "yes you will lose all emails sent to you during the outage"
    Yeah. wow im tired.

-

There's seems to be a conflict of oppinons here, does anyone know for sure?

There's seems to be a conflict of oppinons here, does anyone know for sure?
    There's no difference of opinion - it can still get through if the ISP (the sender) is caching the mail server lookup. If the sender has to lookup the mail server and can't connect, it won't get through.

Quote Originally Posted by nocebo
    There's no difference of opinion - it can still get through if the ISP (the sender) is caching the mail server lookup. If the sender has to lookup the mail server and can't connect, it won't get through.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Many email servers will terminate the message when there is no MX record. Some will put it in a queue and keep trying for a specified set of days.

Due to the amount of spam around, most places don't use that outgoing queue like that.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

thanks

related question, if a server acts as the dns server and it has A records to point a subdomain to another server, if the dns server goes down, will there be a cache so the subdomain will still resolve to server #2?

Is there a way to make that A record cache longer so I wont have a problem in the event server #1 goes down?

thanks again

ppc123

Well it somewhat depends as well. If I sent you an email when you DNS server was down and it is not cached, a lot of servers will try a few times. For example I have ours set up to try again in 5 minutes, in 20 minutes and then in 60 minutes. If no response - then the email is returned to me telling me the server was not found etc.

So there is a chance that your customers would not know. This is why it is always good to have at least two DNS records on different Class Cs, different servers, etc. We even have a secondary DNS in another data center just in case.

Is there a way to make that A record cache longer so I wont have a problem in the event server #1 goes down?
    Not really. It will only be "cached" if it's first been looked up, and although you can set the TTL values for the DNS records, most ISPs will ignore them and apply their own values anyway.

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I believe he is trying to figure out what could possibly happen to clients or whatnot if he potentially took down the plesk server? I could be wrong - i'm tired too.

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech
    Not really. It will only be "cached" if it's first been looked up, and although you can set the TTL values for the DNS records, most ISPs will ignore them and apply their own values anyway.

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?
    k let me explain:

I have a plesk linux dedicated server.

I want to have a sub-domain that will be pointed to another server elsewhere. The reason I want to do this is because if my plesk server goes down I still want the sub-domain to be accessable as its being pointed to another server.

The question is though, if my plesk server goes down and the plesk server is where the DNS server is with all the A records etc.

I want to know if I will still be able to access this sub-domain(pointed to this external server)

I thought that maybe the A records could be cached so it would not pose a problem.

If this is not possible, how does one setup such a configuration where the sub-domain would be accessable.

Is there some service i can use? How about those DNS companies? I heard some are free and good? any ideas.

thanks

This is usually why you have two DNS records set up. There is ZoneEdit, DNSMadeEasy for starters. Usually your datacenter will allow you to use their name servers as well.

k let me explain:
    Right, now we know what you want ... for DNS resolution to continue to work in event of your server failing ...

This is why you should have TWO different nameservers on your domain, and they should be on SEPARATE boxes, preferably separate networks.

If all you have is the one dedicated server, you need to look for a secondary DNS supplier, who can slave your zones.

I heard some are free and good
    If you're business is going to rely on the service, i'd suggest dipping your hand in your pockets and paying for a reliable service.