Looking for small, reliable VPS

I'm looking for a fairly small and reliable VPS solution to run my main site for my hosting company. I just need cPanel, PHP, MySQL on it basically. Just to run my billing/support software.

I'm looking for something in the range of 1-5gb space, and 20gb+ transfer. It would be nice if it was easily upgradeable as well, as I may do offsite backups onto it. Thanks.

cPanel takes more than a "small vps" itself. Expect to pay $50 a month for a cPanel VPS.

Okay, I can go with another control panel. I just like the idea of having a control panel. So DirectAdmin would also be fine. I just need something basic, as I have no idea how I'd run it without it.

Why not just go with shared hosting? It doesn't seem like you need something huge. You can get 5gb of space, with unlimited transfer for $5/month. You could always just upgrade the disk space if needed.

Some hosting companies can upgrade you from shared to VPS to dedicated with little or no downtime. I know who i'm with doesn't charge, and does it within minutes. It just takes a phone call or an email.

I would suggest getting a hosting company that won't charge you to upgrade.

I rather have root access, and shared servers aren't the most reliable :/

What is your budget?
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

KnownHost.com has reliable VPS's starting at $20/mo plus control panel
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by michaely
    I rather have root access, and shared servers aren't the most reliable :/
    That really depends on the hosting company. Some shared servers are super reliable without a huge price difference. But if you need root access, then yes, you need at least a VPS.

Do you know your way around a server through the command line or do you have to have a control panel? You can get some pretty good deals on some VPS's without control panels and meet your requirements.

some of the shared hosting providers provide ssh access, as long as you stay within their TOS, won't get much trouble with them, you need to request ssh access first before you can access.

a shared hosting or knownhost vps would be fine your need.

I would stay with shared, $5 vs. $50.. choice is clear.

I need to learn some command line stuff. I saw some VPSs from Spoilt.com and they were starting at about 10 bucks/month for what I needed. Would anyone be able to help me, linking me to a tutorial or something? I need to know how to get it all working.

It isn't easy to find a good and cheap VPS with Cpanel. Cpanel's license isn't cheap.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

Spoilt.com is just a parked domain

sorry. here's the link
    http://www.spoilthost.com/

You're going to need at least 256MB to run cPanel smoothly.

I'd be very weary of a $9 VPS.

I've seen the owner, or one of the employees around here so I'll talk to him. But I think I'll end up trying the service out for 1 month and evaluate it, etc.

I don't necessarily need cPanel. I just need to learn my way around the command line to create certain things like Db's and FTP accts. etc.

lol, I know of a $1 VPS.

Typically with VPS providers I have learned that you get what you pay for and there is so much control over resources, that although they appear to offer a VPS at a great price, somtimes they host will bottleneck other resources.

you may be better off purchasing a good reseller account for the space you need.