Lightbulb Domain Registar Listing

Greetings!

With all the messages about different Domain Registars having problems and many people looking for solid ICANN approved registars I think it might help many folks if there was a thread with a listing of registars that are solid with any pros and cons about them.

I think it would be helpful to list those you know of that offer a reseller program.

However, DO NOT list a reseller of a reseller, OK.

Example:
    1. eNom but not Bulkregister
    2. StarGate
    3. SRSPlus the Reseller Division of Network Solutions.

Looking forward to everyone's input.

The Best To You!
    Ireland - Networking the Irish / Celtic Community
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

I think some of the distinctions are a bit arbitrary... some resellers truly do have value added service attached regardless of their technical status.

Another problem is that every registrar has its problems and has fans and haters, it's just part of life.

Third, categorizing them properly in 1 thread may be a bit difficult keeping the topic relevant and posting multiple topics to the subject would take away from the rest of the forum.

However, I do agree with you that a need for this sort of information to be organized properly and well be done.

Just my 2 cents.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

There are a lot of message threads regarding all types of Registars. They have good and bad comments on many companies.

I thought that with the latest big deal with BulkRegister and eNom there is a lot of threads talking about the pros and cons of this situation and as myself had to many are looking around at other Registars.

So perhaps those who are happy with a particular Registar or knows of details with others could share that information to help weed out the trash and fine a condensed version of recommended Registars.

I have SRSPlus and StarGate and find both better that what I had with the new BulkRegister under eNom.

However, I had only a week to look around in order to move domains before they came up for renewal in November and December.

Perhaps others have some thoughts on this issue?
    The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

I think it needs to be created a review area for this
    Maybe a topic for every registrar and a control script for few comments per post

I don't claim copyrights to this idea. There is already namepros doing this
    --- ZARDEN.com : Buy and Market Domain Names ---

OK Folks!

Over a year ago I purchased and transfered a domain from "MyDomain" for a client. MyDomain still send me renewal and product ads.

Is MyDomain a reseller or a Registrar themselves?

Does anyone know about them?

Should they be added to this list?
    The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

MyDomain are a Dotster reseller. As with most resellers, you get the registrar's control panel and better pricing. In addition all the email/url forwarding and dns management come free with MyDomain.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    MyDomain are a Dotster reseller. As with most resellers, you get the registrar's control panel and better pricing. In addition all the email/url forwarding and dns management come free with MyDomain.
    So what is the best to consider MyDomain the Reseller or Become a Reseller for Dotster directly?

Also, what are the pros and cons on these two? If any!
    The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

You get cheaper prices from MyDomain, than you get as a reseller of Dotster.

You get cheaper prices from MyDomain, than you get as a reseller of Dotster.
    Why is that, if MyDomain is a reseller of Dotster?
    Is is LARGE Vol. ?

I would think any reseller would be open to same pricing from Dotster.

Well, depending on the upfront cash there are levels with eNom and if I had $7,000+ for a domain business. Why would that not hold with other Registrars?

Is there a listing of best to worst registrars anywhere online?

The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ireland
    Why is that, if MyDomain is a reseller of Dotster?
    Is is LARGE Vol. ?
    Dotster grew by buying up existing registrars. My understanding is that MyDomain was a reseller for NamesDirect.com who got bought out by Dotster in 2002....& MyDomain kept it's old NamesDirect reseller pricing. You can also get cheap pricing from Dotster reseller NetCheap.com.

Yeah, but NetCheap's website doesn't build a lot of confidence. actually it appears to have got worse over time. Does the $7.99 registrations include free url/email forwarding and dns management, and spam whois privacy for free, like MyDomain's?

Nope. Dotster's off-the-shelf reseller prices were $12, iirc, plus I'm not sure if that included free url/email forwarding and dns management. I guess you could negotiate better if you had the volumes. MyDomain/NetCheap already have the volumes, I guess. I don't think you get a reseller account if you go with MyDomain/NetCheap, like you would if you go with Dotster directly.

MyDomain used to be one of my preferred registrars (well reseller). I think NameCheap are now a better option. But then this thread is supposed to be about registrars, and excluding resellers
    Last edited by stub; 12-29-2006 at 12:57 AM.

But then this thread is supposed to be about registrars, and excluding resellers
    So, in keeping with the thread idea Dotster is a Registrar but perhaps not in the same class as some of the others such as eNom, correct folks?

Does anyone know of a web link that "lists" Domain Resellers only?

http://www.internic.net/regist.html = The Accredited Registrar Directory.
    The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

Here is a list of Registrars that I have seen in my searches.
    Perhaps you all can comment on the pros and cons.
    Or indicate which one you like the best.

This is a short list and not in any order.
    Some appear to focus more on hosting than domains.
    Perhaps someone can comment on Control Panel and support service.

1. eNom.com
    2. StarGate.com
    3. SRSPlus.com
    4. GoDaddy.com
    5. GKG.net
    6. NameSecure.com
    7. Webmasters.com
    8. Register.com
    9. DomainSite.com
    10. ThePlanet.com
    11. Tucows.com
    12. WildWestDomains.com

RegistryFly not included but has a number of threads here.
    The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

I don't know if external forum links are allowed but this one has many registrars and resellers
    http://www.namepros.com/registerindex.php
    --- ZARDEN.com : Buy and Market Domain Names ---

Today I got an e-mail from MyDomain.com about a 3 day sale on Domains for [$6.99] available for new .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info & .us domain registrations. It is not valid for domain transfers or renewals.

Enter coupon code 699domain in the shopping cart in the billing step of checkout, to receive your discount.
    The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

You left out Dotster of your list. They're a registrar, probably in the top ten. You left out directi's Reseller Club. You left out Network Solutions. you left out Dynadot. That's just from memory. Probably a string of others too. (I should go to that ICANN list of approved registrars and refresh my memory.

The best control panel is eNom (how many time are you going to ask this question). The new GoDaddy control panel is also really good, although checkout still sucks. GoDaddy have the worst ToS in the business. DomainSite has a reasonable control panel, and reasonable (1-2 day) email support. I don't know if they answer the phone. Dynadot control panel not bad either. They have forum support. The rest suck

I'd mention that NameCheap were good all round, but I'm not allowed to, per thread rules
    Last edited by stub; 12-31-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks for adding them in. I only listed a few that I had visited lately.

I know there are a lot of Registrars but from WHT I think we can narrow it down to those people know and would recommend or not recommend.
    The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

Dotster reseller pricing is easy to get below mydomain/netcheap levels. Just contact them.
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

Quote Originally Posted by kohashi
    Dotster reseller pricing is easy to get below mydomain/netcheap levels. Just contact them.
    So, what do you know about the Dotster reseller program?

Pros and Cons... ?

Have you used their Control panel?

Have you or anyone used their Interface to sell domains online?

The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

I have a reseller account. I didn't like their control panel. I needed support which never came. So I never used their interface to sell domains.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireland
    So, what do you know about the Dotster reseller program?

Pros and Cons... ?

Have you used their Control panel?

Have you or anyone used their Interface to sell domains online?

It's not great in my opinion. Price is competitive, but the interface was quite lacking. Support is poor. You can transfer between dotster and reseller accounts which is nice. Just a poor reseller system in general, not that flexible or easy to integrate. Ive complained to them before about it and they don't seem to really care.

If MyDomain is a reseller of Dotster and Dotster support is not good, how can MyDomain be any better?

If eNom support is on hard times it would hold true that the eNom resellers would have a hard time as well, right?

So I would think that any reseller for Dotster would not be any better than the parent Registrar, Dotster.

The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

That is correct. All Dotster resellers use the Dotster support system (just like at GoDaddy).

This is a list of Registrars mentioned here and not in any order.

1. eNom.com
    2. StarGate.com
    3. SRSPlus.com
    4. GoDaddy.com
    5. GKG.net
    6. NameSecure.com
    7. Webmasters.com
    8. Register.com
    9. DomainSite.com
    10. ThePlanet.com
    11. Tucows.com
    12. WildWestDomains.com
    13. RegistryFly
    14. Dotster
    15. Directi
    16. Reseller Club
    17. Network Solutions
    18. Dynadot
    19. NameCheap

20. Can You add any more to the list with a comment or rating?

http://www.internic.net/regist.html = The Accredited Registrar Directory.

http://www.namepros.com/registerindex.php = Listing of registrars and resellers

The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com

Here are the top 802 registrars by registrations... http://www.webhosting.info/registrar...strars/global/

Here are the top 802 registrars by registrations... http://www.webhosting.info/registrar...strars/global/

So, since I started this thread there has been some action about a number of Registrars on the list.

What do you think about the order?

Are there the TOP FIVE you would consider?

Are there the BOTTOM FIVE you would not touch with a ten foot pole?

The Best To You!
    www.CapitalCeltic.com