Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertivo hacked?

Vertivo hacked?

Someone mentioned this morning that my website was hacked. And when I tried to view the Vertivo.com website to put in a ticket, I can't seem to reach that website either. Does anyone know what's going on?

yes , hacked by jamaycka

Not to sound ignorant or anything, but what does anyone suggest I do from here? Find a new host? Or wait for them to come back online? It seems like, at the moment, I can access my FTP. I'm trying to backup everything, but I can't backup my domain hostees.
    Last edited by Sanguine; 12-24-2006 at 11:48 AM.

i wait them to come back online

I would suggest waiting to see how they respond to the situation and how quickly they respond. If they are able to take care of it quick, and provide honest answers then you've got a good host. If they aren't giving you answers, and it's not fixed in a reasonable time it might be a good time to look elsewhere....

I am also on Vertivo, I will give them about a day or so to contact me and have a solution in place. Sucks for everyone when things like this happen.

I have a few sites on Vertivo too. I've submitted a support request via email - email is still working, apparently, just the display of HTML pages is blocked. I also started a thread in the Host Down? section of WHT. I will let you know if i hear anything back from them.

jamaycka?

Quote Originally Posted by djicrazy
    yes , hacked by jamaycka
    Please elaborate on whatever information you are alluding to here, thanks.

I imagine there was a defacing script run that left the tag "hacked by jamaycka" ... They probably turned their http daemon (web server) off while they fix the problem, let us know how it turns out!

they are up now

and yes they were hacked

http://www.vertivo.com/support/

Looks like things are back up.

I think they were not very secure, and i still wonder how they did enter the system.

Do they have a phone number you can call as their customer? It appears they don't even know they've been hacked.

Hello,

We are aware of the situation. Our server admins are working as quickly as they can to restore affected accounts and conduct a security audit. As soon as everything has been brought under control all affected customers will hear official word from us on the issue. We appreciate your patience while we work to rectify this.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

Sorry to hear about that. Maybe it's just a surface compromise. You should give them sometime to officially announce what happened.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

I'll wait until the end of the day, or until I get an official announcement of what happened, as mentioned above. But truth be told, I'm a bit cagey of continuing my services, because of the hacker situation. Thanks for replying, but I'll definately be updating this thread.

I totally agree Sanguine, my site was down for about 18 hours on an important shopping day (suprisingly a lot of people shop online Christmas eve), and how do I know something like this won't happen again?

I am going to start looking into finding a new host for January.

Quote Originally Posted by VER-Mo
    Hello,

We are aware of the situation. Our server admins are working as quickly as they can to restore affected accounts and conduct a security audit. As soon as everything has been brought under control all affected customers will hear official word from us on the issue. We appreciate your patience while we work to rectify this.
    Any updates on how your servers were compromised?
    Last edited by net; 12-24-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    Any updates on how your servers were compromised?

Do you have an account with them?

If none, then let their clients ask them.

If you want some info just to help you with your servers in the future, you may freely contact them directly and ask.

Thanks,
    Net

If it was hacked through Kayako it was either hacked using autoclose.php or some new hack that hasn't been disclosed. The guy that wrote the script doesn't give customers a heads up on security vulnerabilities. You have to discover them on your own either when you get hacked or hopefully through the grapevine.

Quote Originally Posted by page-zone
    If it was hacked through Kayako it was either hacked using autoclose.php or some new hack that hasn't been disclosed. The guy that wrote the script doesn't give customers a heads up on security vulnerabilities. You have to discover them on your own either when you get hacked or hopefully through the grapevine.
    I honestly don't really know what all that means, but I haven't recieved any emails on what exactly was going on, and when it's going to be fixed. I'm sure they are working as hard as they can, and this came up at a busy time of the year but... it's not looking so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf-Net
    Do you have an account with them?

If none, then let their clients ask them.

If you want some info just to help you with your servers in the future, you may freely contact them directly and ask.

Thanks,
    Net
    The reason I asked is because I suspect it had something to do with Kayako, and since many of us use it, it would be nice to know what exactly happened.

I am not a customer.
    Last edited by WireNine; 12-24-2006 at 11:03 PM.

If u like see what happend kanehart.com

I checked all my files but don't see any changed files so they must done something root to the http server or w/e.

This server been going very slow last few weeks now.

I would like give them a chance but been slow these days I think I need to move on but hard find cheap stable hosting these days hehe.

Yes I agree it has been very slow for me as well, I thought it may have just been my internet.

Also did the host upload a backup from 4 days ago?

All of my stats for my sales and traffic are from Dec 21, the past 4 days are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by VGmedia
    Yes I agree it has been very slow for me as well, I thought it may have just been my internet.
    Mine is very slow also.

sounds like they maybe dying.

My cp finally came up after about 5 minutes.

I definitely gotta switch, but is anyone else also having the issue where it seems like they restored a backup of 4 days ago?

Merry Christmas too!

Quote Originally Posted by VGmedia
    I definitely gotta switch, but is anyone else also having the issue where it seems like they restored a backup of 4 days ago?
    I am not noticing it in my logs as of yet...

Next week I too am looking at switching.

Michael

from email
    Vertivo: Important Announcement

Good day,

As some of you may be aware there was a hacker attack on one of
    servers yesterday morning. While many customers were unaffected, the
    attack left some pages on the server defaced. Due to the fact that we
    always carry out regular backups of our servers we have been able to
    begin restoring the index pages of the affected accounts. So far the
    restoration is about 65% complete, many of the affected persons would
    have already found that their accounts are now functioning normally.
    We expect to complete full system restoration within the next 12-14
    hours. We have been keeping the server online while we work to
    re-secure the server and restore the accounts, however, as a result of
    us disabling HTTP while we carried out security related tasks many
    domains were inaccessible between 10:42 a.m. and 1:40 p.m. (EST)
    yesterday. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by this, but
    trust that you understand the absolute necessity of the steps that
    needed to be taken. Email and other services have remained largely
    unaffected. While the restoration is in progress you may experience
    unusually slow server speeds. Kindly bear with us.

This hacker has been targeting a number of web hosts lately and cuts
    his way through on vulnerable php scripts, ie folders that have 777
    permissions, etc.

It is worth noting that regardless of how secure a server environment
    is there is always even a minute risk that the security may somehow be
    comprised, especially within a shared hosting environment such as this
    one. Nevertheless, we yesterday had highly respected server security
    experts carry out a thorough security audit, and on their
    recommendation have taken every possible step in securing and
    hardening the server once more.

We will notify you as soon as all things are back to normal. Thank you
    for your patience and kind understanding.

Regards,

Monique Powell
    Vertivo
    ^.^

Strange, I never received that email from them.

So, from what they're saying, if anyone's site was defaced/hacked...it was their own fault for running an insecure script that allowed the hacker to gain access?

If that's true, then anyone who got "hacked" has no right to blame the host.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    So, from what they're saying, if anyone's site was defaced/hacked...it was their own fault for running an insecure script that allowed the hacker to gain access?

If that's true, then anyone who got "hacked" has no right to blame the host.

--Tina
    I did not get that from the above post. I believe they where trying to explain to the customers how the hacker was able to get through the system and just make them aware.
    Just letting you know how I took it ;-)

I have yet to receive an explanation email from Vertivo.

Is everybody sites back up? Mine are still down

The explaination is simply stating that someone had a 777 permission script where the intrusion occured.

If thats the case its probable as in a shared environment one can easily upload a php shell and snoop around. Proper security and permissions must be enforced.

However in this case the hacker obtain root it can be a number of reasons a crond exploit (several months old), kernel exploit (if old), cPanel local exploit.

Any of the most recent ones are used as we can easily go in and see the "crond" exploit used numerous times. The root occured due to no proper updates of any applications. However the statement is true no matter how hard you secured a system anything is hackable thats the problem with shared hosting.
    Psychz Networks - Enterprise Servers & Data Center Professionals
    ★24/7 On-Site Support - Premium Server Hardware
    ★Facilities: Los Angeles, CA - Dallas, TX | Tier-4 Data Centers
    ★Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Psychz DDoS-Shield™ On-Premise Mitigation

My website is still down. Not the main index, but the index of my ecommerce site. I don't know what's going on, I've contacted Vertivo numerous times and haven't gotten any response, except saying that they were forwarding to the correct dept. and I would recieve an answer shortly. I never did, and that was back on Monday. Now it's thursday. I'm very disappointed, I had such a good experience with them earlier. I had never had any problems. But if they don't have a very good explanation for this, I can't stay with them.

Been trying to get through to their support department for 4 days now, and still no help. Very dissapointed..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast