Mysql 5 Server transferring data to MYSQL 4.1

Okay I have a database in MYSQL 5 and I recently got Asmallorange and they are using MYSQL 4.1. Will my database be affected in any way?

You can find some of the differences here.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...-from-4-1.html
    Datums Internet Solutions, LLC
    Systems Engineering & Managed Hosting Services
    Complex Hosting Consultants

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by akasixcon
    Okay I have a database in MYSQL 5 and I recently got Asmallorange and they are using MYSQL 4.1. Will my database be affected in any way?
    You can use the mysqldump to dump your SQL5 database and use the --compatible option when you dump your database so it is compatible with mySQL 4.

Before heading up with the MYSQL dump please make sure that, MySQL 4.1 does not support stored routines or triggers. If your databases contain stored routines or triggers, prevent them from being dumped when you use mysqldump by using the --skip-routines and --skip-triggers options and also MySQL 4.1 does not support views. If your databases contain views, remove them with DROP VIEW before using mysqldump

Sorry, but how do I remove the stored triggers/routines?

Where exactly do I put the --skiproutines and --skip-triggers , and how do I remvoe them with the DROP VIEW?

Also where and how do I use the compatible option?

I use phpAdmin so if anyone has any detailed instructions it will be really helpful.

Sorry, but how do I remove the stored triggers/routines?

Where exactly do I put the --skiproutines and --skip-triggers , and how do I remvoe them with the DROP VIEW?

Also where and how do I use the compatible option?

I use phpAdmin so if anyone has any detailed instructions it will be really helpful.
    I believe they were referencing the "mysqldump" command available via shell and using --skiproutines, etc. as options [placed at the end of the command].

Sorry, I'm very new on MYSQL and webhosting. What is the "Shell"?

Also what do routines/triggers, and compatible options do? I recently uploaded my database (vbulletin forum) to my MYSQL 4.1 server (from MYSQL 5 on my windows server) and it works fine, though I haven't thoroughly checked whats missing.

What are somethings that vBulletin can do in MYSQL 5 against MYSQL 4.1?

If you're using vBulletin, you're not using views, triggers, or stored procedures. No PHP scripts out there that I know of offhand are using any of those. You can safely export the database out to import into our servers.
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>