Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Review: e-servers - rackshack - rackspace - fdcservers - serverbeach - serverhost

e-servers - UPDATED
    We have now been with e-servers for approximately 3 months.

Overall, we are quite happy with their support and network. E-servers do perform remote hands (give them a list of instructions for them to follow while consoled into your servers, such are restarting a daemon) which is a huge bonus.

Support is still excellent

Network is great

E-servers/TranXactglobal servers are now very hard to get. After speaking to Jeff Hinkle about this, he had advised that they will be releasing a bunch of servers on the 1st of July and some more later in the month. He had advised that they will have been monitoring things closely and dont want to make the same mistakes of other companies by only seeing their market share and forgetting about their current customers needs. (slighly adlibbed by myself )

Final Notes; e-servers and TranXactglobal are really one of the best options for low-cost dedicated servers. My favourite things about e-servers is the fact that you can get custom servers and operating systems as well as their great support.

While the demand is high and the availability is low, I seriously think its worth the wait.

Web: www.eservers.biz
    www.tranxactglobal.com

rackshack - UPDATED
    Rackshack have got a really good network, reasonably good customer support and in most cases, stable and rocksolid servers.

I personally would not recommend rackshack for mission critical data. There are absolutely no guarantees with anything and If you are thought to be breaking any policies, say goodbye to your server and all the data with it.

Final comments; a rackshack server would be great for remote backups or personal hosting. I would not recommend for a production server

Web; www.rackshack.net

fdcservers - UPDATED
    We now have 2 servers with FDCSERVERS.

Two problems we have experienced so far with FDCServers is that one network card was not working - replaced in no time. The second is that our second server could not interact with FreeBSD properly. After 24 hours we had a new server and a better chip.

FDCSERVERS are awesome. Petr is ALWAYS available for support, remote hands is available and they will seriously do anything in their power to accomodate your needs.

I would recommend FDCSERVERS for non-production environments and backup servers.

Web; www.fdcservers.net

rackspace - UPDATED
    Rackspace's support is excellent, their network is excellent - everything about them in my opinion is excellent. Remote hands is free, support is endless, network is never down and their servers are robust.

They are just a bit pricey

I would recommend rackspace for any production server environment.

Web; www.rackspace.com

server beach
    We signed up for our serverbeach server last week.

The server came up at around 40 hours after the order was entered. The server comes with a multitude or preinstalled software and a vulnerable kernel. (just like rackshack)

We experienced routing problems as soon as we connected to the server (it would have seemed the routers were not broadcasting their routes) This was fixed approximately 2 hours after a ticket was submitted.

After spending around 18 hours hardening the server, updating software and moving accross around 200 websites the harddrive crashed.

The hard disk was replaced around 6 hours after we reported this.

Serverbeach has no support contact number nor email addresses. All support must come by way of tickets submitted on their website.

A pre-sale ticket is generally replied with several lines of writing.

A post-sale support ticket is replied with < 10 words and generally only answer your main question while totally ignoring everything else you ask.

Network is fast

Server is stable (after replacement hard disk)

Support is lax

I would recommend serverbeach for a backup server, or for personal hosting. They really need to touch up on support, get reasonable pricing for reboots and IP's.

Web; www.serverbeach.com

serverhost

We signed up for serverhost @ the same time as serverbeach.

The server was up within around 8 hours, with a custom install (FreeBSD).

Network is fast, support is great, server is stable.

Jeff even followed up 48 hours later to make sure we were happy with everything.

I would recommend to first email sales@ to try to strike a deal. Jeff gave us a huge discount on the advertised prices and has made sure we were accomodated.

Recommended for all hosting

Web; www.serverhost.com
    Last edited by seg fault; 06-26-2002 at 07:33 PM.

Further Reviews

I will be posting reviews for colocation providers I have used such as; D1 Asia, ITS-EXPLOSIVE, reach, dedicated hosting dot com dot au, optus and commindico

Cheers

Thanks! Keep em coming!

Yes, they were very helpfull, Thanks...

These are delicious

Yeah, I had some for breakfast yesterday...

hosticle, please note that your reviews are very informative, and extremely appreciated.

Your experiences help the small guys who don't have money to experiment.

Peter

By the way, is remote hand in rackspace.com free? I was under the impression that they charge you anything out of "managed support".

Peter

Managed Support

Remote hands comes under the banner of managed support/hosting.

If you give explicit instructions as to what you need done (ie, step-by-step) then they will definantly do it.

Personally, I don't see why a host should charge you for this.

At one time, on our e-servers box - one of my staff members had recompiled the kernel and forgetfully disabled the MIIBUS (needed for PCI NIC's in FreeBSD) and after simulating the same error on our local box, we gave step by step instructions to them including the error messages and it was fixed in no time.

If your host would be grudged to console in and issue basic commands - and/or follow a step-by-step list, then I would have reservations as to if they were the host for me.
    Last edited by seg fault; 06-26-2002 at 10:13 AM.

Yes! Thank you for these reviews, as a small and expanding company, where every decision is very important, we will definately take all your comments into consideration! Thank you hosticle.
    • Matt J •
    • Where Customer Services is #1 •
    • Virtual Plans • Reseller Plans • Dedicated Servers •
    • Jatol Internet Service • www.jatol.com •

You guys are more than welcome!

I do try to give everyone I can think of a go, and comment on their service honestly and concise.

I would hope my reviews serve as a nice break from one sided arguments, unresolved disgruntlements, slagging and even the 'goto X guys because they fixed my apache conf files!'

I am in the process of setting up my own hosting company, and want to make my mistakes now rather than when customers are on the servers.

A few points I would also like to make is that if you have never used linux/unix or are not fluent with managing a remote server - control panels won't save you. Save your money and learn first. (or hire an administrator)

No (hosting) company will teach you how to manage your own server - esp for <$149 per month. Resell for other companies while you are learning!

The next point is that before you review a company or post comments about them, try all you can to resolve the issue first. Sometimes you feel like you may not be getting anywhere - but it really does make sense to hold your thoughts and emotions before you do post about them.

Good luck guys!
    Last edited by seg fault; 06-26-2002 at 11:42 AM.

Very wise advice hosticle. People come barging in here all to often after it has been 5 minutes since they submitted a trouble ticket and it hasn't been answered yet...

hosticle:

please can you change the address for eServers dot Biz from e-servers.biz to www.eservers.biz

greatly appreciated thanks.

Imran
    Coreix™ | your solution™ www.coreix.net - 08000226734 - ISO27001 Certified
    Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Secure Cages - Enterprise & Managed Solutions - Clustering - LoadBalancing - High Availability - Hosted Exchange 2007
    NEW Tier III London DC with power sourced from 100% renewable sources, N+N UPS, N+1 Chillers and CRAC units, Mist Fire Suppression, Biometric and Man Trap security to all data areas

Can't wait for your colocation reviews
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

hosticle,

Do you have any experience with DialTone.com or PWebTech.com?

Originally posted by percent5
    hosticle,

I would be interested in hearing about these companies, especially pwebtech, too.

As for eServers.biz, I too can vouch for their servers. We've had a server with them for a few months now, and support/uptime has been excellent.
    Jay &#187; [email protected] • AIM &#187; FDrive Support
    Front Drive&trade; &#187; Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

hosticle,

I have attempted to buy a Dialtone server no less than 3 times in the past.

1st time; Checked out their website, noticed they had FreeBSD servers. Called them, got a guy who could barely speak english pickup who refused to transfer my call to somebody else.

2nd time; approximately 3 months later, there was a special for FreeBSD servers, and wanted to strike a deal with a sales rep. Called them up, got the non-english speaker - wouldn't transfer my call.

I must admit, it does sound stupid to forget about going with a company because one of their representatives does not have an english speaking background. I do find it hard sometimes to deal with a company when I can't understand what they are saying.

3rd time; Called them - spoke to someone about a server - a lady this time - very LOUD and charasmatic. Came close to striking a deal - they never followed up.

In retrospect I have used dialtone servers so I can comment on their network and hardware.

Their network is quite fast. It looks like they only use rich bandwidth and boy is it fast (This was around 12 months ago - I would imagine it is still the same)

The server I was administering was also quite fast and rock solid. Dialtone mainly use IBM based servers - so they are expensive but well worth every penny.

I have been told that their support is quite good, but I have not experienced this for myself.

The trick to getting a dialtone server is to first signup as a reseller. This will give you good discounts on their boxes before you buy one. I believe it is 5% - 20%. You dont get a discount on their advertised discount servers.

I am yet to use pwebtech.com

Nice reviews!

I have had servers with CIH*ST (hey, I was a n00bi3 and never heard of them before), Ventures Online (excellent support), ServerHost (when there wasn't a problem, they were good - but far too many problems for them to host mission critical sites) and eServers.biz who are fantastic!

I have 2 servers with eServers.biz and love every minute of being there.
    Uptime 61 days 2 hours 4 minutes
    Load Averages 0.29 0.24 0.24
    61 days uptime is the longest I have ever had a server up without it falling over

James

What bandwidth provider is eServers.biz using? How much it cost if I exceed that limit?
    http://www.ebookeasy.com Free ebook for webhosting and dedicated server review

Great thread! Give the valuable info coming.

Originally posted by maxbear
    What bandwidth provider is eServers.biz using? How much it cost if I exceed that limit?
    I have forgotten what BW providers they use (lol Imran and I were talking about it last night... it was 2:00am and I was tired ).

It's something like Cogent, Above.net etc Think there's 2 or 3 others and it is BGP routed

Also, you get 500gb bandwidth a month - not sure how much overages is - never even hit 100gb

James

Originally posted by chrisb
    Great thread! Give the valuable info coming.
    Excellent thread, makes a refreshing change from the norm we've been getting on here in recent times.

although i am not in the market for a server, i think thorough reviews like these are extremely helpful!

I used dialtone for over a year, we initially got a box with them to host an irc server and webserving (irc server for live support). They later changed their TOS which put our irc server on edgy waters and then they changed their TOS for a third time in less then a year which made us shut down the irc server. I can see their standpoint on irc related programs as they only attrack trouble so we did not complain about that.
    What we did have trouble with was esculated trouble tickets because their support staff wouldn't/couldn't figure out the problem the first 3 times so we called them and we ran into some of the same problems as the other poster. On more then half the calls we were contacted by employees that either had very bad english or no english what so ever. All we could do was hang-up or be hanged up on and phone in again.
    The third problem we had was with their Raq's (They no longer offer Raq's though) and them having no support knowledge on the appliances at all. With them getting rid of all their Raq's this might have become better as they can focus on IBM servers exclusive now.
    The final straw that made us leave was lag and downtime. For a period over 2 months, which they said they were improving network infrastructure, our services would go offline from 5 minutes to an hour at all times of the day. We finally gave up on them and went to CommuniTech which we found out later, ironically, was also owned by the same parent company.
    We were pleased with CommuniTech. We moved from CommuniTech for funding reasons, we simply did not have the funds to continue hosting with them.

I hope this helps out

Thank god I wasn't the only one who couldn't understand them!

I thought I might have being a bit prudish by saying I couldn't understand their broken english - but now I dont feel so bad

Update - Dialtone

Earlier today I spoke to the guy in whom I did administration work on his server with dialtone.

He advised that he did have some network problems not long after I had left and ultimately cancelled his server after customer support would no longer answer his queries.

Please do keep in mind that this was around 12 months ago, and companies generally identify their pitfalls and fix them up. Otherwise they would be out of business yes?

Originally posted by WildWayz

I have forgotten what BW providers they use (lol Imran and I were talking about it last night... it was 2:00am and I was tired ).

It's something like Cogent, Above.net etc Think there's 2 or 3 others and it is BGP routed

Also, you get 500gb bandwidth a month - not sure how much overages is - never even hit 100gb

James

/me fluffles WW

Go to bed!

Thumbs up

This is one of the best threads I've seen on here in a long time! Thanks so much!

hosticle,

pwebtech are good

freakysid, in the tradition of this thread, care to *elaborate* on your comment?

Peter

Transact/EServers overage is $1/gig if i remember correctly ~ not bad as its multihomed!

Originally posted by ckpeter
    freakysid, in the tradition of this thread, care to *elaborate* on your comment?

Peter
    Well I chose not to elaborate when I posted because I figured I have already given plenty of feedback (along with others) on this company which of course can be searched for.

Let's see...

Been using them for around ten months. There was a delay when they set up my server (waited around two weeks) because they had a special on and got swamped with orders. Server was set up according to my specs. Jason and I ICQed while he was setting it up.

I haven't had any hardware issues (touch wood). So can't comment on how well they respond to hardware emergencies. I have been given my rack number and the emergency number for NAC.net as well as the general office number of pwebtech. I have only rang them once and that was just to say G'day and listen to those funny American accents.

Non-urgent support requests (read non-billed) get answered within about 12 hours.

They have two networks you can choose from. The full NAC.net network which is reputed to be "top notch" and the DCJN network which is a slimmed down version missing some of the more expensive carriers. I am on the DCJN network and it seems nice, although I don't push much bandwidth and don't need to burst very high.

What I do like about their network is that NAC.net have a direct line into the London Internet Exchange which is good for European users. I also don't have any complaints about network speed accessing the server from AU. This is one thing I think some users of budget bandwidth networks forget (or maybe it's not important to their market) - that network speeds to the rest of the world can suck hard, especially with cogent.

There were some niggling problems with NAC.net in general and the DCJN network late last year, earlier this year. I remember one mention of a switch or router problem (I can't remember now, but they were discussed here on WHT before). I remember originally that DCJN was not going to be BGP4 routed but I then heard a rumour earlier in the year that they were going to BGP4 DCJN to help solve the network blips. Don't know - would have to ask them.

There are some much larger users of pwebtech on this forum than myself. Like always, make a short list then do your homework using the search button

Thank you. This is especially helpful, since I am also in the market for a dedicated server.

Peter

Have you had any experience with FastServers.net ? Or Nocster.net ?

As wildwayz said, serverhost - Too unreliable
    eservers.biz - Very reliable, very recommended

Adding my 2 cents to this thread.

My server with FDC:

Support has always been great. There have hardware issues (i.e. one of their techs recently replaced my XP 1700 processor with a Duron 1 GHZ for some unknown reason) but these have always been worked out in a timely and professional manner by Petr. My server connection is slow at the moment, which is really bothering me, though Petr has assured me they are looking into the matter.

Overall: Good, but wouldn't put a production server online there until they get the speed issues worked out, unless you get one of their dedicated 10 MBIT deals, as they are said to not have any of the speed issues.

My server with serverhost:

Went online today. The communication has been good and so has the setup support. I just hope the support stays at this level, contrary to what other people have posted in this thread. Server is not in use yet for hosting, but speed is excellent. I'm getting a 120 ms ping to my server all the way from The Netherlands, which is mighty impressive.

I agree - serverhost have been pretty good to date.

As with FDCservers, I have cancelled both boxes due to several speed issues which never were resolved, one of my servers being taken offline because of an IP confliction (we only bound IP's assigned to us), breakdown in communication and the ignoring of many emails to Petr.

I did always state not to use an FDCservers' server for a production environment - and I stand by that today

Netwave.. Another Provider?

Just wondering if anyone out there has heard of these guys at Netwave Technologies?

I talked to one of their admins (Nick Geyer) via ICQ. He seemed to be pretty knowledgable with the UNIX environment. I gave him my little "Torture the New BOFH Quiz". He did well, although he is going to look up how to split a screen in vi.

Main purpose for this post is to see if anyone out there has had any experience with them yet.

Post a reply if you have or are planning to.

-gcc

haha - give them the quiz - I like that

I admit we've had our share of problems in the past. We can't please everyone, even though we try our best to do so. We've got a number of additional staff members on board to assist in Atlanta, and are growing every day. I welcome any former customers to give us a try again - I think you'll notice a considerable difference.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles, CA
    Dedicated Servers, KVM, Xen & OpenVZ VPS, Co-location, R1Soft Data Backup, Shared & Reseller Hosting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast