Programming knowledge a must?

In terms of webhosting, i have come to understand there is a lot of programming stuffs like PHP5 support, full uniex shell, CGI access and many more. Very frankly i know none of these and am really not sure which are the ones i need. can igo ahead to host without knowing these stuffs or is it a must? Thanks.

Smile

You don't need to know them. Those are add-on options that allows you script your web site. You can just upload a web site with plain HTML and images.

I would say 90% of the users who look for hosting plans 'think' they need php5, shell, CGI, etc and truly believe they're getting a 'better deal' if the host provides them, but quite frankly, most people stick to straight html and images. It's nice to know they're there and included, but no, you don't have to learn it. In fact, many hosts have a 'sitebuilder' or other such software built in that allows you to get a simple site online in minutes without even having to know html. Yes, these are limted in functionality, but for someone who knows absolutely nothing about programming or web design, these applications can be quite handy.
    Dan Bulmer
    CRUSE Hosting Services
    http://www.crusehosting.com
    Full H-SPhere Clustered Servers

Tnks

Hi, tnks. feels better to know that i do not need to know them and also i think i will go with the site builders. have many queries running in my head. will poat along the way. tnks again.

No problem, and Merry Christmas! Santa will be here in a 1/2 hour so I best get to bed quickly!
    Dan Bulmer
    CRUSE Hosting Services
    http://www.crusehosting.com
    Full H-SPhere Clustered Servers

If you don't know what they are the chances are that you won't need them. Most hosts also have addon scripts and other goodies, so you should be ok.

I don't think you need some special knowledge. If you need it you'll get it by all means.

Most users don't know about programming, and they use scripts.
    (Many hosts don't know about programming, either. )
    So, you don't have to worry, too much.

But it certainly helps if you know well about programming, especially when there is a problem.
    Without good knowledge of programming, you need to find someone who can help you.
    And it's not always easy.

Also, it's not very difficult to learn easy scripting. It can be a fun.

But writing secure and efficient code requires more knowledge and experience.
    When I write a script, I think a lot before to expose it to general public, as it can be accessed massively and any script with input can be abused/attacked.
    Any publicly accessible scripts should have some sort of efficient defense mechanism, IMO.
    Unfortunately, many popular apps don't have adequate level of potection and they can cause problem to the server (or to your site).

Even a simple formmail script can spoil the fun.
    So, do not expeose them to public (by passoword protecting, for example) unless you know what you are doing.
    Too many people use scripts carelessly and get attacked and find their site suspended, or get cracked to be used as the zombie site for spamming/attacking others.

Hi!
    If you are going to be a web host..and be able to keep customers happy..I would say "Yes" To at least shell scripts and php. I started out with Perl myself..and still use it the most. I have found myself *having* to learn php, C, python, etc. because I have things that I want that do not exist..ergo..I must make them.

I think most customers do not expect you to help them debug scripts..may it be perl..or python..or whatever. However...there are types that might pay extra for such. If you plan on administrated your own server...you *must* learn shell scripts..I can't live one day without them myself. There are tons of them for free download...though...you don't have to know how they work at the beginning..at least..until you want to modify them or make your own, though.

I can't see a newbie server admin not needing basic compiler skills, though.
    Not necessarily knowing C or C++ in and out..but at least know the basics.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

You do not need a shred of programming, if you wish to run a small site on a standard hosting account.

If you wish to run a web host, then you need a fair bit more then programming knowledge.
    kanashimi internet services - Launching Q1, 2007.
    - Premium Level Shared GeoIP Mirrored Hosting.
    - Your Data Is Mirrored Over 7 Datacenters!

Not to redundantly repeat what's already been said by others who said the same thing, but you don't *need* to know to program in various languages (most commonly PHP and HTML), though it *is* to your benefit to know at least some basic things.
    -Kevin
    KG Customs - meeting all of your computer-related needs

Trains N Planes - my hobby-related forum

I'd worry about programming last. But what you do need to know is apache, linux, mysql and php from the server side.

The key to successfully running a hosting server is keeping it efficient, fast and clean. To do those you need some knowledge on everything listed above. Primarily Apache and Linux.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

If your running a webhost, then I would assume you should have basic knowlege of at least 1 programing language.

For you own personal site, you deffinatly don't need to know any programing. In fact, you could even have a more complex site with a forum, (phpbb.org) without having to know any programing.

Ideally, I don't think everyone should use a script with good understanding of how it works.
    You should have at least good reading ability of the code, again, ideally.
    But we know too well that we can't ask all people out there to understand what they are using.

It's like driving a car.
    You don't have to have the knowledge/ability to make a car.
    But you should be able to drive it and put gaz and change tires, for example.
    Of course, you can hire (or get help of) someone to do all these, too.

If you don't have someone who can do these, and if you can't perform these by yourself, you can wreck the car or get lost in the middle of nowhere.
    Same for the hosting, as a user or a provider.

So many people are using hosting/programs without proper minimal understandings.
    And thia causes more sites/machines to be cracked and used for DDOS/SPAM, etc.

Make a Informed Web Hosting Purchase

Its not neccessarily a matter of knowing how to program in PHP, use shell access, or CGI, it is a matter of knowing what they are, in case you need to utilize them or hire a professional to develop your site.

In terms of PHP, you might not need to know the programming language itself, but understanding that most content management systems running on linux servers require PHP/MYSQL support to run could be important if you are thinking of moving beyond just a static website.

CGI, might not be important to you, but if you want a contact form included on your website then it might be very important.

Shell Access - If you are going to need to install alot of scripts and make complex file changes(most don't) then you would need shell access.

You don't need to be a proficient programmer to purchase web hosting, but you need to be educated about what your needs are and if the web hosting plan you are thinking of getting meets those needs.

If you are looking for something simple then you don't need any of this stuff. But realize that if you need something more complex, or plan on having a more extensive web presence in the future, you will have to go through the process of moving to a new provider, which also comes with its challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by million2b
    In terms of webhosting, i have come to understand there is a lot of programming stuffs like PHP5 support, full uniex shell, CGI access and many more. Very frankly i know none of these and am really not sure which are the ones i need. can igo ahead to host without knowing these stuffs or is it a must? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPAPA
    You don't need to know them. Those are add-on options that allows you script your web site. You can just upload a web site with plain HTML and images.
    Hostway: The Hosting Company
    Web Hosting | Hosted Exchange