Server capable of traffic ?

I have a dedicated server with the following configuration:

Dual Core AMD Opteron 170
    2 GB RAM
    CentOS 4.4 with cPanel

This server has only 1 website and they have FLV based Flash Streaming Videos. There are about 100 video clips with 5 - 10 minutes duration, each file about 10 - 15 MB in size. They are having a site launch next week and they expect about 1000 users to be online at a time during peak hours for the first week. There is no database activity and there are only PHP pages for the videos to be listed. So I would like to know whether such a server configuration would be capable to withstand such traffic (1000 visitors viewing the videos at the same time) or should I upgrade ? Just don't want to cause a bad impression initially with any downtime or problems as we are launching the site.

File transfers are not highly CPU intensive, so the server specs you presented should easily be able to handle the load. The more important question is how good is the network capacity to this server?
    Eric Spaeth
    Enterprise Network Engineer :: Hosting Hobbyist :: Master of Procrastination
    "The really cool thing about facts is they remain true regardless of who states them."

This thread was also on the SoftLayer client forums that I saw, so the server he speaks of is hosted in the SoftLayer DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb20103
    This thread was also on the SoftLayer client forums that I saw, so the server he speaks of is hosted in the SoftLayer DC.
    In which case I don't think he'll have any problem in terms of bandwidth.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Memory could be a problem. 1000 people downloading videos at the same time = a lot of processes on the server.

10/100/1000mbit port? 10 won't do it, i'm pretty sure

Quote Originally Posted by PixyMisa
    Memory could be a problem. 1000 people downloading videos at the same time = a lot of processes on the server.
    Not if you use and Event based single threaded webserver such as http://www.lighttpd.net. This is how sites like youtube serve up their videos.
    ServerMatingProject.com
    The World's first server mating experiment
    We give new meaning to I/O intensive and hot swap

imo, the memory could be the problem. streaming uses less cpu. probably move to a lighthttpd can be a good solution.

Yes, we are at SoftLayer. Currently its on a 100 mbps port, so will upgrade to 1000 mbps port.