looking for vps host that can handle my phpbb forum

hi, I'm Jeff from Indonesia.

i have a forum that using phpbb (few mod) with more than 14000 members, 70 - 100 users online at the same time (on busy hour), 350mb of mysql database, more that 400.000 topics and still growing.

i'm currently with site5 and they can't handle my site cause of the usage of server resources (highload), and just moved to local shared hosting (in indonesia)

i don't have budget for dedicated, so i'm looking for good vps that can handle my site (cpanel vps).

my max budget: $50/month

thanks for your reply

sorry for my bad english

Hey Jeff from Indonesia. You should do fine on a rather large VPS server. Search around the VPS offers forum for deals that might fit your needs and budget.
    SeeksAdmin .:. Linux & Windows Server Management
    24/7 Coverage | 30 Day Guarantee | Fast Response Times
    Quality Outsourced Customer Support Services
    █ Drop Me A Line For Special Offers

You may need to increase your budget to get a quality high-end VPS.
    UK SSD VPS without compromise - upto 250k IOPS !
    www.clustered.net

ev1servers could be a better solution for you.

$50 a month is a little low for something that massive, not to say you can't find it, but that's a pretty decent sized site.

i have a forum with smf , on peak times it gets to 65-85 users browsing at the same time.

I would recommend you to get the knownhost special with 50% off 2 first months, 10% disscount monthly for the life of the plan, get the VPS XL that is:

256MB, 20GB disk , 250GB bandwith, after that add 256MB to the guaranteed ram, it would be 512MB Ram. That is 40$ + 12.50$ - 10% = 47.25$ .

It would be good if u choose no control panel, but i dont know how much you know about configuring the server, if webmin is not good for you get directadmin, from what i understand cpanel and plesk use more resources.

After you sing up , ask them to optimize the vps to your needs, that is install some php utilities like eaccelerator, optimize apache and mysql.

Hopefully im not wrong with my recommendation , knownhost is a really good provider btw.

zone.net has a $50 plan that is good enough for your needs, and there's a coupon code for 10GB extra space on their site.

I notice www.zone.net is currently down ?
    www.clustered.net

Quote Originally Posted by reiteration
    I notice www.zone.net is currently down ?
    indeed it is

I would think a level 3 package from slhost.com would work great. Shot them an email and they will be glad to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by rdogg
    indeed it is
    works for me.

Its just come back online.
    www.clustered.net

thanks for all of your reply.
    i'm currently interested in servint essential package, do anyone think this package (256mb + 1gb burstable) can handle my site?

Thanks

BTW I don't understand anything about setting up a server, I have no experience on it.
    so I'm looking for cpanel vps hosting cause my current local shared hosting using cpanel, and it's user friendly.

I wouldn't read too much into burstable, the only thing that matters is guaranteed. They could, theoretically, offer 32GB burstable and it would be as accurate as 1gb, depending on server specs. You should compare with guaranteed. As far as setup goes, are you familiar with plesk? Do you need cpanel?

If I'm not mistaken, cPanel has a larger memory footprint than Plesk, correct?

anyone else?

Maybe you could try semidedicated shared hosting?

do you mean like jaguarpc semi dedicated shared hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by rdogg
    i have a forum with smf , on peak times it gets to 65-85 users browsing at the same time.

I would recommend you to get the knownhost special with 50% off 2 first months, 10% disscount monthly for the life of the plan, get the VPS XL that is:

256MB, 20GB disk , 250GB bandwith, after that add 256MB to the guaranteed ram, it would be 512MB Ram. That is 40$ + 12.50$ - 10% = 47.25$ .

It would be good if u choose no control panel, but i dont know how much you know about configuring the server, if webmin is not good for you get directadmin, from what i understand cpanel and plesk use more resources.

After you sing up , ask them to optimize the vps to your needs, that is install some php utilities like eaccelerator, optimize apache and mysql.

Hopefully im not wrong with my recommendation , knownhost is a really good provider btw.
    I will second the KnownHost reccomendation. I have been with them for a few months and couldn't be happier. Top notch performance and support for the cost. I'm using DA for my control panel and it is working great.

Quote Originally Posted by xmutan
    BTW I don't understand anything about setting up a server, I have no experience on it.
    so I'm looking for cpanel vps hosting cause my current local shared hosting using cpanel, and it's user friendly.
    Listen to IllustriousCube dont rely on the burstable RAM, get guaranteed RAM above your needs if not you could have a bad vps experience. The burst RAM is suppossed to be there in case u need it but not all the time.

My opinion is that Cpanel is a really good panel when you dont have ssh access but you can do a lot of things with plesk and directadmin, try to find some demos so you can tell if they will fit your needs.

Thinking about all the users that you have (browsing at the same time),and the fact that you want Cpanel i guess you need to get 512 min RAM

i still wonder about servint essential package, can essential package handle my forum?
    thanks for all of your reply

anyone ?

If everyone is telling you that u need at least 512 Guaranteed RAM , and servint essential package has 256 MB Guaranteed RAM what do you think

Last nite i got 100+ active members browsing my main site and i started using 400mb , i have guaranteed 384mb , from my point of view its not good to use above your guaranteed RAM so i was not happy with the fact that i was using more RAM than what i should.

i am using this http://futurehosting.biz/vps.htm (cPanel Platinum 512 RAM) and i am happy so far. its fast stable and the price is reasonable.

Ditto to konstantinos. I am also using FutureHosting.biz and I am a happy customer.

I own a phpBB2 forum, with 50~60 concurrent visitors during peak hours.

You can get 512 MB guaranteed RAM with Plesks for 45 US$.

http://www.futurehosting.biz/vps.htm