Windows Server 2003 VPN issue

I set up an in-house network (wired via a hub) and it works fine, running PeachTree from multiple wired terminals. The client would now like to access the PeachTree data files remotely via a VPN tunnel.

I can get as far as logging in to the server remotely, but cannot see the files. It searches and eventually times out, stating access was not allowed at the server.

I did these proceedures:
    • enable VPN at the server
    • shared the directories as required
    • turned off all firewalls (temporarily to see if that was the issue, it wasn't)
    • logged in as admin
    • created a VPN at the remote computer as required

I have been tinkering with this for 2 weeks, and am out of ideas as to where the issue could be.

Any win2003 server experts available for a quick job? I am getting frustrated, which means it is time to hire an expert.

Any advice is appreciated!
    -----------------------------------
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    One Stop Business Solutions
    AmeriWeb Hosting

Is this STD Server2003 or SBS Server 2003? If it is SBS does the server have two nics (WAN and LAN) and thus is acting as a router/firewall or is the whole network connected to a separate router? If so what make/model router are you using, many times it is easier and more secure to establish a vpn tunnel via the router.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

It is a SBS Server 2003 with one NIC using a separate router. I will investigate setting the VPN from router to router, I hadn't thought of that option. Thanks!
    -----------------------------------
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    One Stop Business Solutions
    AmeriWeb Hosting

If your router doesn't support VPN's then follow these directions:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...5-5805260.html
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

If its got SBS on have you installed the ISA component, as ISA really does not like working with just one NIC.
    █ Windows and Exchange Server Experts, UK and US Dedicated Exchange Servers.
    MCSE Certified, Registered Microsoft Partner.
    █ Exchange 2010, Server 2008 and IIS 7 Services now available!
    www.windowsserv.com Email: mail@windowsserv.com