Shared / VPS / Dedicated server - which is most cost effective yet secure?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to recommend a hosting solution for a charity home's web application. Their application runs on ASP.NET 2.0 and MSSQL database. It's a small organisation, so traffic is very low. They are also on a tight budget. I would have recommended shared hosting, if not for the fact that they need to store the confidential medical records of their residents in the database.

What would you recommend is the best solution in this kind of situation? I think paying a couple of hundred of dollars each month for dedicated hosting might be out of their budget.

Would encoding all the data in the database serve as a viable alternative?
    Thanks for the advice.

If you don't want to risk sharing the data, and you don't want to go with a dedicated server solution (that I think you don't need) why not looking for a Virtual Private Server? Half or one third of the price of a dedicated.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

VPS is probably the most cost effective and secure.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

VPS will be the way to go but make sure you watch out for resources on the VPS plans.
    ASP2.0 and MSSQL tend to use lots of resources.

I don't really understand the advantage of a VPS in this situation.

A dedicated means that you are the only user on the server & have control of what software is on it - but you are responsible for server security (but can have the server 'managed' to help with this).

A VPS means that you share the server withg other users with the host responsible for managing the 'firewall' between users. You have some control over the software on your share of the server and are responsible for the security of your share of the server.

A shared account means that you share the server with a lot of other users and the host is responsible for server security and for ensuring the security of your account from the other users.

Essentially, they all have different advantages and disadvantages. If you were an expert, you could make a dedicated much more secure than a shared account. to some extent you could make a VPS safer. But, if you were an expert, you would not need to ask the question.

My first piece of advice woulod be to say that confidential records and a web server don't mix that well. Your security will really be dependent upon the degree of encryption you use on the records and the strength of the passwords used (and the degree of security applied to those passwords). My second piece of advice would be that if this encryption/password strength etc system is really strong, then a premium shared account with a host who understands the situation and offers excellent support will probably offer more security than the other options.

I would suggest to look in the web hosting offer section, and find a host that offers the shared services for asp. More than likely you don't need a dedicated or vps server. That might be a bit overkill for you, again depending on more specifics. Once you locate a host they will be able to answer more detailed questions for you.

Good Luck,

Chris
    Heath Hosting – offering Shared Hosting services with that extra personal service and support
    IN HOST Reseller Hosting – offering reseller hosting services only Service will be available January 2007
    cPanel - WHM(Reseller only) – Fantastico – Unlimited Domains –OVERSELLING ALLOWED on reseller plans
    RVSkins – 15 Day Money Back Gurantee – 24x7 Support Ticket System –Servers located in Dallas Texas

I would go with a VPS without a doubt. It is harder to hack than shared hosting. But cheaper than dedicated.

I don't think there is a huge difference of security. If the host provides adequate security and keeps the proper updates they should be secure enough to hold sensitive data.

Regards,
    Chris
    Heath Hosting – offering Shared Hosting services with that extra personal service and support
    IN HOST Reseller Hosting – offering reseller hosting services only Service will be available January 2007
    cPanel - WHM(Reseller only) – Fantastico – Unlimited Domains –OVERSELLING ALLOWED on reseller plans
    RVSkins – 15 Day Money Back Gurantee – 24x7 Support Ticket System –Servers located in Dallas Texas

Yea but in VPS you have alot more control over it. In shared hosting you are stuck with what ever the host does. In VPS you can install what ever security software you want. It is basically more control.

Agreed! If you are looking for extensive control.

Regards,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mohamoud
    Yea but in VPS you have alot more control over it.
    That only helps if you know what to do with it & are always up-to-date on security related matters.

If you don't, it is likely to be much less secure than a shared account with a high quality, security-aware, business class host.