Hostdepartment "NO Limit"?

http://www.hostdepartment.com/websitehosting.html

They claim its not a scam. But I was just wondering if there are any good reviews about this at all.

Why not try it

Did not try it. but i have some notes.
    I was astonished when I found the reverse IP tool at domaintools. You will see that almost %90 of sites host only few pages and don't use CMSs. So if you are amongst the minority that use CMS or have large sites, using large disk space or bandwidth won't be a problem(i guess).
    One other point. check domaintools to see how many sites a specific server hosts before deciding.

and by the way the largest server I have seen has 4X750 Gigs of disk space. So it may not be a problem for these guys to install such machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Alavna
    One other point. check domaintools to see how many sites a specific server hosts before deciding.

That tool is absolutely, totally and completely worthless and inaccurate. There is no way to determine how many sites a server hosts, unless you have root access to that server. There are too many extenuating circumstances that domaintools can't take into consideration.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Hi Tina.
    Are their results usually and over or an underestimation of the number of sites hosted.

in my point of view i donot belive their offer, is it possible. WebHosting should be bought in control.

... back to reality

Virtually ALL (shared) hosting providers have this little thing called AUP.

This 'little thing' actually changes the whole ball game in regards to your hosting and is one of the most important - resource usage.

HostDepartment (HD) is here.

Using scripting (php, cgi, MySQL ...etc) uses resources, so the more your site uses these the higher your chances of either being asked to pay more and or booted off the system.

If you have a static site and or use HD for storage and or use very few clean scripting your fine but, clearly defined constraints make for happier hosting experiences - no exception.
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: DTS-Net

Quote Originally Posted by Alavna
    Hi Tina.
    Are their results usually and over or an underestimation of the number of sites hosted.
    Both.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I se. What part should I be looking for in the resource usage that has limit on how much percent the CPU uses?

Simply put: Unlimited/NO Limit hosting simply does NOT exist in any way, shape and/or form. There is no such thing as an unlimited hard-drive which would result in "Unlimited Disk Space" or Unlimited Bandwidth. Now of course, unlimited e-mail accounts, domain hosting, etc. is possible as a server doesn't really "care" how many e-mail account's you have (in weird terms).

Host Department is overselling (obviously) and provides horrible customer service (based on my own experience - check around the forums for my posts).

Last but not least - with any hosting provider, just as a member above suggested, always CAREFULLY review their TOS/AUP for the "fine print" of what they truley provide.

Jesus christ.. unlimited disk space/bandwidth for $4/month.. thats worse than anything i've ever heard.

The idea behind this "unlimited campaign" as outlined in their Acceptable Use Policy(AUP) is that you cannot upload random files to your web hosting account with them(such as backup files).

The live chat rep told me that if you have real web sites with substantial information on them then you can supposedly upload as many as you want.

He gave an example that uploading movies to you web hosting account so your friends or family can view them is totally a violation of this AUP and your account will be terminated.

So its in no way shape or form really unlimited space etc.
    Host In Us Web Hosting Services | www.hostinus.com
    Premium Enterprise Shared Web Hosting
    Less than 80 Customers per server!
    Try us out! We want to earn your business.

Quote Originally Posted by akasixcon
    I se. What part should I be looking for in the resource usage that has limit on how much percent the CPU uses?
    Exactly ... they don't say as this depends on how many customers and what type of customers they have on each server. Servers have a limit. A limit on disk space, RAM ... etc.

If your site started using alot of RAM this would start to effect the other customers on your server and this would result in eg: suspension of services.

Shared hosting services and prices aren't going to allow you to use VPS/VDS/Dedicated resources ...

For example on a VPS you know you can max it out and it effects nobody but you as the resources are isolated too you but, shared will effect everyone on the same server and this then brings you to the attention of the provider.

The actual resources allowed amount varies provider to provider but, you'll know when you hit it and your site is suspended and or similar.

A bad sign is 'unlimited' this and 'unlimited' that as that sends warning signals that all they're interested in is getting as many customers as they can on a server and if your site uses resources then your costing them potential money and the advertised price they won't let you get a good dig at the server resources.

Disk space is easy and cheap to provide but RAM and system resources isn't and at shared hosting prices somethings gonna give and it won't be them

Hope this helps.
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: DTS-Net

Stay away from HostDepartment! They are one of the worst web host I have ever had. I have ASP hosting and the server is slow and they are always breaking stuff. They used to be ok when I first signed up and they just keep getting worse and worse. I have had my site with them for 2 or 3 years just to keep a free grandfathered listing in Yahoo directory alive until I have time to do something with it or sell the site. The website is not important, so I never got around to moving it.

They really suck!

No Limit = No relibility..... too good to be true is not true
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows