US Airways - Extra Leg Room/Exit Row Seat

Hello folks.

I'm working out a budget for HostingCon 07 right now, and US Airways seem to be able to provide the best deal from the UK for that time of year.

I'm quite a tall guy and my past knee problems make for a very uncomfortable flight when sat in a standard coach class seat for seven hours.

I flew to Toronto last year with Zoom Airlines (A fantastic budget Europe>Canada airline btw) and I paid very little for the bonus of an exit row seat which allowed me to fully stretch my legs with room to spare for the entire flight. Seriously, I had it better than the folks in business.

So, I'm looking for an extra leg room/exit row seat for my flight to and from Akron-Canton (I'll be having my chauffeur (the_pm) drive me to Chicago). I just chatted with US Airlines' online reps but they were unable to answer what I thought would be a relatively simple question. Instead I was told to call their International department.

Booking extra leg room seats is a very common practice for flights to and from Europe, and seems to be common for trans-Atlantic budget airlines too, but the larger airlines like US Airways don't seem to have any information about this on their Web site.

I'm wondering whether any of you have ever travelled with US Airways, and could tell me if I am able to select a specific seat during the booking process. If so, is there usually an extra fee for exit row seats, and if so, what sort of cost am I looking at?
    Last edited by Jamie Harrop; 12-22-2006 at 06:40 PM.
    - Jamie Harrop

Delta doesn't charge you for exit row seats =]
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    I'm wondering whether any of you have ever travelled with US Airways, and could tell me if I am able to select a specific seat during the booking process. If so, is there usually an extra fee for exit row seats, and if so, what sort of cost am I looking at?
    Yup - they won't allow you to book an exit row ticket online. After you make your reservations, give them a call and typically they will either move you then or put a note on your reservation for a gate agent to move you when they open the flight up.

Worst case scenario, when you get to the airport, you'll just need to ask for it then, if it hasn't already been assigned.

I have the same problem as you....

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

The trouble with trying to reserve this seat is that a lot of people already know it's a good choice. I have booked flights many months in advance, and every time the seating chart shows that the roomy seats by the emergency exit are already taken.

If you can find out how much legroom southwest has and then call Us Air and see what number they give you. I am fairly tall and love Southwest for this very reason, most room I have seen on any plane for non-First Class tickets.

I would imagine if you call Southwest ask them how man inches or legroom over the phone it should be a pretty common question.

Quote Originally Posted by Equentity - Jamie
    I flew to Toronto last year with Zoom Airlines (A fantastic budget Europe>Canada airline btw) and I paid very little for the bonus of an exit row seat which allowed me to fully stretch my legs with room to spare for the entire flight. Seriously, I had it better than the folks in business.
    I have the exact same problem normally but last time I flew with Air Canada, the lady offered me the seat free of charge (along with the one next to it to my brother) we had a really great time. Thing is I did not ask her to put me there but she probably saw that I'm pretty tall so she thought I'd be better there, funny thing is the other exit row seat was occupied by a guy who was like 4 inches taller than me at 6'8 ish so it probably wasn't a coincidence.

I'm flying Zoom airlines from Montreal to the Dominican republic for new years, parents loved that airline when they went to Venezuela last year. I didn't ask for an exit row this time but I'll try when I get there It's only a 3:30 flight so it's not that big of a deal.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

I typically get the exit row seat reserved at Continental, they only allow booking the seat 24 hours before the flight leaves.

So what I do it wait until EXACTLY 24 hours before and I have about 45 seconds to pick the seat.

To ensure I get a half decent seat I pre-pick my seat early, and then do a seat modify right at the 24 hour point, that way if I fail to get exit row it goes to the previous seat I booked.

I don't know if US Airways is the same, but it works for Continental.

Thanks guys. It seems different airlines have quite different policies. I guess I should follow the advice from the rep and call their International line to see what policy US have in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Backyard Billy
    ... the lady offered me the seat free of charge (along with the one next to it to my brother) we had a really great time. Thing is I did not ask her to put me there but she probably saw that I'm pretty tall so she thought I'd be better there
    Yeah, that's happened to me once or twice on my way to Europe. As a result, I now tend to walk to the check in desk as tall as I can.

I'm flying Zoom airlines from Montreal to the Dominican republic for new years, parents loved that airline when they went to Venezuela last year.
    You won't be disappointed. The service I received was better than any premium airline that I have flown with. The booking process through their Web site was very easy (and they have a great Web site, which makes a nice change). I was 17 at the time, on my first flight alone, on my way to Canada for the first time. I was comfortable, relaxed, and had some great meals. The fact that the cabin crew were all stunners made the flight much better.
    - Jamie Harrop