Need helping Spec'ing a Dedicated Server

Hi guys,

I need some help deciding the specifications for a new dedicated server. I hope some of the details below will help you to help me decide.

I have about 30 wordpress blogs from different clients hosted on a $49 per month VPS from servint.
    Of these, 1 averages 4000 unique visits a day, the other average 100-400 unique visits a day.

Elsewhere, I have two blogs that average 5000 unique visits a day, again running php+mysql. I also have another anonymous blog that averages 500 uniques a day.

I expect to add another 5 wordpress websites to the mix.

The total current bandwidth usage is around 64 GB per month, but may go up considerably due to video clips.

So for a total of 30-40 WordPress sites running php+mysql, with a bandwidth need of about 200-300 GB per month, with about 25000-35000 unique visits a day, what kind of server should I be looking into? Processor/memory estimates would be great.

Also, if you could let me know how much I can expect to spend on a good host for an unmanaged server, I would be very happy

Thank you!

What's your budget? Would the server need cPanel etc?

I want to find out what kind of server I would need. Once I figure out what kind of processor/server/uplink I need, I can try to find the cheapest or at least the most reasonable hosting that I can buy.

Like I said, I am currently paying around $50 for my VPS at servint. I would love to find a server for $100. For that price, I could find a Sempron, a Celeron, or if I push my luck, and P4 2.4 GHz machine. THe question is, is any of this good enough? If not, I will have to rethink the price.

If you could push to $150 - you're options are looking a lot better

Alright danserv, like I said, I can push that up to $150 or $200. The question is what kind of processor and memory should the server have?

Well with that price range

Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHZ
    1024MB Ram
    120GB Sata HDD
    1200Gb BW
    cPanel/WHM
    Fully managed

Quote Originally Posted by foomatic
    Alright danserv, like I said, I can push that up to $150 or $200. The question is what kind of processor and memory should the server have?
    For $150-200 you can get a duo core 2 (dual core) with 2GB of ram and 2x160GB Sata Drive with 1500GB Xfer.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

I think this thread is going off on a tangent

The question is not what I can get for a price, but what specs the server needs to have for the requirements I posted above. Someone with experience with php-mysql based websites and servers should be able to guesstimate what sort of processor and memory will be needed.

Will a Celeron 2GHz machine with 256MB RAM do? (I guess it won't, so what will be enough?)

Sorry

MySQL Loves Ram so go for atleast 1gb of ram. Minimum proc a 3.0 pentium 4. The celeron is obsolete and so is the 3.0 pretty much. Also give yourself room to grow.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing

Thank you, Ameen, with, say 25% room to grow, You would think at Pentium IV @ 3.2 GHz with 1GB of RAM would be sufficient?

Also, what is the Comparable AMD Processor? In my off-server life I have found them to be a great value. Would at 3500+ AMD 64 compare favorably?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by foomatic
    Thank you, Ameen, with, say 25% room to grow, You would think at Pentium IV @ 3.2 GHz with 1GB of RAM would be sufficient?

Also, what is the Comparable AMD Processor? In my off-server life I have found them to be a great value. Would at 3500+ AMD 64 compare favorably?

Thanks again
    I would go for the 3500+ it out performs the P4 and you can install a 64bit OS on it.
    GigeNET

So a Pentium IV 3.0 GHz or an AMD 3500+ with 1 GB of RAM should be sufficient (minimum) for my requirements -- anyone who differs, or can correct this will be thanked gratefully!

1paket has a dual xeon - unmetered transfer - $199
    Linux/Windows Technician
    JCulpin [at] Gmail.com

A couple of years back I was hosting 40-odd MovableType blogs on an Athlon XP 2500+ with 1GB of memory. That worked very well, and while MovableType creates static pages, it's terribly inefficient at doing so.

At 25k-35k visits per day, you're probably looking at around 2 pages per second at peak times. WordPress can do that easily, even on an older single-cpu machine.

My advice: Don't go for a Celeron; they suck. Make sure you get at least 1GB of memory, but 1GB should be enough. Shop around for an Athlon 3000+ or so; they show up pretty often for around $80 with 1GB of memory and 1000GB of bandwidth. (CPanel/Plesk would be extra.)

A P4 2.4 will probably be okay too, but I found the Athlons ran better overall.

Core 2 Duos make lovely servers, but they haven't hit the bargain bins just yet.

PixyMisa has it right, I think.

Thanks PixyMisa. I really appreciate your comments. Coming from a former MT hoster, it sounds more reassuring

Thanks to you too, Cards, for the vote of confidence

Thank you PixyMisa. And thanks for that vote of confidence too. I am looking at grokthis.net and netsonic.net right now - any opinions?

Netsonic look a bit pricey - $100 with 512MB + $34 to upgrade to 1GB.
    Grokthis charge $49 per month if you want CPanel, which would be an issue if you wanted CPanel.

I haven't used either company, so I don't know what they're like.

The best thing to do would be watch the dedicated offers forum for a while. If you see what looks like a good offer, do a search on the company name here at WHT to check what people think of them. (Though every company has at least one unhappy customer, so don't despair just because one person is saying nasty things about whoever you hoped to go with.)

Ah, here's one I can recommend.

DedicatedNOW offer an Athlon 64 2800+ with 1GB RAM, 120GB disk and 1200GB bandwidth for $85/month, but normally you have to pay a steep setup fee to get that. Right now they're waiving the setup fee and offering a free upgrade to 160GB disk. I think that would be a good box for you, and the sales and tech support staff and DedicatedNOW are always helpful.

Thanks for watching out for me PixyMisa - folks like you make the world go round However, DedicatedNow does not offer/support Debian I will continue to monitor the deals threads on that forum as you suggested. Thanks again!