Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* New host needed, some questions Smf Specific

I run a well medium sized SMF forum that requires a few specific things.

I need exif support and aspell / Pspell

I also have a gallery ( Coppermine Photo Gallery ) but most gallerys are the same so I need GD 2 and or ImageMagick support

Also need to know many emails are allowed per hour or 24 hours.

Stats for the site, 25-40 Gigs used a month ( a lot of graphics )
    500-600 users a day, 2500 guests, 400-600K page views a month
    Plus I need to be able to add a few other sites to the plan, so I need somewhere around 80-100 gig a month of real bandwidth

Do you have any links to sites that are using smf so I can see how they run ?

That forum is going to be too large for the majority of shared hosters.

Those are daily and monthly stats.

You have to be looking at a high end VPS or a low end dedicated box if you want real performance. Shared hosts won't provide what you need, because you'll be using a lot of CPU.

I am on a shared host now with no issues ?

Quote Originally Posted by kenholio
    why the need for a new host then?

They are shutting down, so again its time to move on.
    I am not looking for a cheap host, just a good one.
    I am guessing 10-20ish a month will get me what I need.

A VPS will be the best option for your needs. Its hard to find a decent shared plan with 100 GB bandwidth per month. You can easily find a good VPS solution for about $40/mo if you search the offers forum.
    Web Hosting by Brontobytes

[quoteThey are shutting down, so again its time to move on.
    I am not looking for a cheap host, just a good one.
    I am guessing 10-20ish a month will get me what I need.[/quote]

Hi Kenholio, unfortunately, the only way you will be able to accomplish this in a shared environment is with a budget around $100 and you will need to be with a provider that sells packages for application hosting and is priced accordingly.

The reason you were able to do this in a shared environment by the sounds of it is that they didnt have many clients and you had ALOT of that server to yourself (much more then you would have in any other shared environment).

In order to accomodate a site of this size, the server can only have so many sites and utilizing x number of resources.

If you try hosting this in a shared environment for $10-$20, here is what will happen:

a) if they are a larger host, they will immediately suspend you for CPU violations
    b) if they are a new host, they will probably suspend you down the road a little once they get new clients
    c) the new host may not get alot of clients and you will be ok til they go out of business

Really, this sort of requirement should be on a large VPS or a dedicated server - there are costs associated with hosting forums of this size and you simply cannot get around that if you want sustainable, reliable service.

Having said all of that, you will certainly find a host that will take you on for your budget, and as long as you accept that you will need to move frequently/semi-frequently as companies grow or go out of business, this may be a viable option for you.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Really, with just a couple hundred users online during the last 2 hours and 600 posts a day will required a a large VPS or a dedicated server ?

The problem is that once you get 500 - 600 people online per day, you start using a lot of the Server CPU, due to lots of mySQL usage.

I wouldn't say you need a large VPS or a dedicated server but you will definitely need either some sort of VPS or a good Hoster that doesn't overload their Servers. And a good Hoster is going to charge you more than $20 a month, in order to give you good Service.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

I am not worried that it is going to cost me $20+ a month
    25-50 users online at a time should not be that big a deal ?
    I thought, but I am looking ahead for the whole part of next yer.

If you're only getting that many at the moment, you probably will get away on shared for a bit longer, but maybe its best to get on a VPS now, maybe a smaller one, then get it upgraded when you need it

25-50 users online at a time should not be that big a deal ?
    If you're the only one on the server then not, but if you constantly have 50 users online, hogging the server resources (when looking at your current bandwidth) you're about to outgrow shared hosting in months. If you have 50 users online at once, there must be a way the forum could sustain itself so you can upgrade your webhosting. Your visitors would love it

Thats why I am asking, I want to be sure I am covered in 2007

If you go with a good Hoster you should fine for right now and sometime in the future, long as you are below 300 people online all the time and/or <100 GB of Data transfer per month. Once you exceed those quotas it's time to get a VPS / Dedicated.

Try

http://hive.com.my/

They offer $70 / Year

10gb space, 100gb bandwidth and alot more

Kenholio: Try requesting hosting at www.simplemachines.org/community -- The team there will lead you to the right hosts who will be able to support your SMF forum.

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela
    but if you constantly have 50 users online, hogging the server resources
    Actually, 50 cocurrent users on a non overselling host is really nothing and you wont get shutdown for using excessive resources or affect other users on the same server.

If you have 50 users online at once, there must be a way the forum could sustain itself so you can upgrade your webhosting. Your visitors would love it
    What are talking about?

Mini

I meant that it could pay for itself by placing some ads on the forum, and upgrading your hostingpackage usually results in faster serverspeeds (if you choose right) so your visitors will love that.

I have talked about it in SMF, most do not think 50-100 users online at a time equals a dedicted server or VPS.
    Just looking for options today and into a year later.

I have talked about it in SMF, most do not think 50-100 users online at a time equals a dedicted server or VPS.
    Just looking for options today and into a year later.
    Hello kenholio,

most people here indicated that you can do it in a shared environment, but, it will cost you alot more then $10. You have asked for 100 GB of "real bandwidth" for hosting applications. The cost for this in a shared environment is approximately $1/GB. If you host in an oversold environment where bandwidth is cheaper, chances are you will hit CPU limitations long before utilizing 100 GB of transfer.

Hope this helps...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob
    If you go with a good Hoster you should fine for right now and sometime in the future, long as you are below 300 people online all the time and/or <100 GB of Data transfer per month. Once you exceed those quotas it's time to get a VPS / Dedicated.
    I agree with you, however, I don't think that a VPS would be help in anyway in the future, at that point the next step is a dedicated server for sure.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

For those with moderately busy messageboards who are looking for a good host, I would strongly recommend Hostgator's semi-dedicated plan (which is what I'm currently using for mine and couldn't be happier). The performance will be much better than a VPS (been there, tried that).

You'll only have 1 or 2 other customers on the server and your monthly bill will be far less than a dedicated.

Just my 2 cents

TotalZen, you need to provide a Domain name of yours that is hosted with Hostgator. Otherwise, it looks like you are just advertising for them, which is not allowed on this Forum.

Also, it is difficult for any Client to know how many other Clients are on the same Server or what other purposes the Server is used for. It goes without saying that any Server with few accounts will be a fast Server. It also goes without saying that eventually that Server will fill up. Service may then be quite different than before.

Those are daily and monthly stats.
    There are many, quality, shared hosting providers that can satisfy your needs. Most of the PHP libs you need are compiled standard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast