GoDaddy, StarGate, DirectNIC, Dotster

Hi all,

I need to get my expired domain back (namesecure has been so "kind" enough to have erased my babe's record because I wasn't fast enough to renew it due to school and exams!). I am currently looking at the above domain registrars and I need some feedback. Can I have some information in response to domain managament and speed? (how fast will it be ready? I have read on another thread some domain registrar make it real quick!)

Thanks for your time!

StarGate!

Great Price/Great Service....

You can control all aspects of your domains.. (Including all register information)
    The name server changes and setup of new domains usually takes effect in less than 24 hours!
    (On a rare occasion it may take just over 24 hours.. but they are the fastest I have ever seen!)

DO NOT GO TO GODADDY!...
    Although I think their support is above some others..
    They have some bad business practices!
    Auto renewing domains (no way to enable or disable feature)
    The only way to stop them from renewing your domain is to "Cancel" your domain (but in doing this you Loose* your domain right then, not when your year is up!)

Just one thing I can not stand about Godaddy!
    I used to have ALOT of domains at Godaddy.. but most of them have found their way to StarGate!: ) They all will be there soon enough.........

So to make a long story short...
    I vote StarGate!
    Nothing Special: True Archive , just my lil archive for fun... maybe turn into something more?

Dotster is the only one that I've used in your list, and will be the one that I continue to use.

In the over 2 years of using them, I've never had to send in a support request. I have over 30 domains registered with them and haven't had a single problem. Their online member area is really easy to use and it *works*. Their prices aren't too bad, either.
    "Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com

I also like stargate.com. no probs, great prices.

I have a couple of domains over at DirectNic. I am completely satisfied with their service, and would highly recommend them.

I use Stargate (97% of my domains) about 2% GoDaddy and the rest among RegisterFly and 000domains and eNom.

We use Stargate.com, Doster.com, Easily.co.uk and Namecheap.com - all great service from all 4 registrars

How about GKG? I think they're also good!
    Regards,
    Ben

DirectNIC really rocks. Namecheap may be just as good. I use both and couldn't be happier.

What's so good about DirectNIC (vs. Stargate/Namecheap)? I have some domains at DirectNIC and I don't see any advantages. The price, on the other hand, is the highest out of all the registrars I'm with.

About stargate.com, is it $13.95 per domain or $8.85 per domain BUT buying multiple domains AT ONCE?
    I am the centre of my own universe

Originally posted by Evenstar
    About stargate.com, is it $13.95 per domain or $8.85 per domain BUT buying multiple domains AT ONCE?
    If you register two or more domains, they are $8.95 each.

I use Godaddy and Namecheap...I would go for Namecheap. I've been using them a lot more lately. Their domain name management features are very easy to use, and any changes you make show up in the whois instantly, or at least it seems that way most of the time.

Powerpipe, just as good, but cheaper

I had an issue with Dotster ignoring my request to transfer a domain over to powerpipe. Their support kept hounding Dotster until they finally did change it to the powerpipe registar. Took 3 days of emails between powerpipe and Dotster and powerpipe still was kind enough to thank me for choosing them. That's the kind of service I like...

And if you want extremely good support, 000domains has my vote.

Top 5

The five I think worthy of consideration are the following (including their resellers, particularly in the case of OpenSrs and Enom.

My 3 favorites

OpenSrs (only through resellers)-very classy, very smooth, have never experienced any problems and have have personally registered 20-30 names there over the years.

Enom (decent prices only through resellers)-have a few dozen with them. Never any problems, complete range of outstanding services.

Dotster (direct or resellers). I have hundreds registered through them and have never had a single problem.

The next 2

GoDaddy (direct). Many happy customers, just changed their transfer policies. I don't use them or resell for them only because I don't like the fact that they constantly solicit my customers for services competing with me.

Stargate (direct or reseller). I have a few dozen through them, but don't like the fact that their whois is down so frequently and updates are sometimes slow and inconsistent. Also, they get you in with a low price on multiple domains, but you renew at the higher price.

I have used dotster and they don't have any support what so ever. I also used godaddy and they do have very good support. Thats the only place where I register my domain names. I was looking at namecheap.com but I still would have to go with godaddy.com because I know they are legit! Nunames.nu are the cheapest for .nu names. If anybody knows anywhere to get them cheaper please contact me in a pm or post on the board.

Originally posted by kreativ
    What's so good about DirectNIC (vs. Stargate/Namecheap)? I have some domains at DirectNIC and I don't see any advantages. The price, on the other hand, is the highest out of all the registrars I'm with.
    I can't speak for Stargate/Namecheap, but I like Directnic.com alot because:

- Very easy & quick to make global changes. For example: If you have 100 domain names with Directnic, and your contact phone number changes, you just have to enter it once, and you can have it changed for all the domains. A long time ago when I was with register.com and netsol, I had to manually make the change with each domain name.

- Free URL redirection.

- Free website w/2 gigs of transfer/month (but you have to pay extra if you don't want the banner ad).

- Free unlimited email forwarding aliases. I use this feature quite a bit, and they have been very reliable.

- Overall, very reliable service, and I've never had any technical problems. All functions like transfering registrars, changing DNS servers, etc were quick, and efficient.

Again, I've only used Directnic, Register.com, and Netsol, so I can't speak on Stargate/Namecheap.

http://www.directnic.com