Thread: Multiple DNS

Multiple DNS

Im kinda lost on having more than 1 DNS for a domain. When I go into my godaddy account for each domain I can set up more than one DNS per domain. So what would be the point of having more than 1 DNS?

for example say I have domain.com and I have 3 dedicated servers right, would I put:

dns.server1.com
    dns.server2.com

And this means if server1 goes down it will ping to server2?

Redundancy is a good thing to have in this industry
    Caro.net :: Engineered Hosting
    Engineered Hosting solutions including Cloud, Dedicated, Colocation, and Managed Services.

Quote Originally Posted by ibuddy
    Im kinda lost on having more than 1 DNS for a domain. When I go into my godaddy account for each domain I can set up more than one DNS per domain. So what would be the point of having more than 1 DNS?

for example say I have domain.com and I have 3 dedicated servers right, would I put:

dns.server1.com
    dns.server2.com

And this means if server1 goes down it will ping to server2?
    Well, normally two name servers are given to a single domain name, this is order that if to assure uptime if any of them are down.

ok so what I should do is when I upload, upload to both servers than right? Just in case they go down? Create an account domain.com on server1.com and server2.com and when I want to update say the index.php file I would upload that to both servers?

All websites use 2 DNS servers (commonly ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com where ns1 points to server1 and ns2 points to server2). Both nameservers should contain the same information (i.e. say look at server 1 for my domain). What you are talking about now is load balancing a website through multiple servers, a little different than having 2 name servers....

If you want to load balance a site add multiple A entries for the site, one for each server.... then you will need to mirror the content on both sites (either by uploading it to both, or creating a script that will copy the content on a given interval). Keep in mind you will probably only want to have 1 MySQL server so you don't have to replicate that data as well, this can be on a 3rd server if you wish....

Under this example, there should not be two separate web servers. There will be a single webserver and two DNS servers. The roll of a DNS server is to translate your domain in to the IP address of your server. If you only have a single DNS server and it goes down, there is nothing left to make the connection between your domain and your server.

Ideally you should have two separate physical servers for redundant DNS. Assign the hostname ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com to each server respectively. Both DNS servers should host the same configuration so that both point yourdomain.com to your single webserver.
    Caro.net :: Engineered Hosting
    Engineered Hosting solutions including Cloud, Dedicated, Colocation, and Managed Services.

right on that makes sense, appreciate the responses they were educational.

Forgive me for reviving a three month old thread, but I was being a good newbie and searching the forum first instead of asking something that's been asked before...

So, if I want to be sure my users never get a down site...

1) I set up two different servers at two different companies and put the exact same content on both...

2) I go to my domain name company and point ns1 and ns2 to server 1 and point ns3 and ns4 to server 2.

I have a few questions:

Will the requests always try ns1 and ns2 before spilling over to ns3 and ns4?

Or will the requests get divided evenly between the two servers?

What if one server is just sluggish (from a problem or high load) and not all the way down? I'm assuming that, since the DNS resolves, it will still try the bad server?
    Karen
    Coolmath.com

One more question:

Does this "mirroring" have any negative effect on search engine listings or page ranK?
    Karen
    Coolmath.com

you setup with your domain name company to point to name servers (ns1.yourhost.com, ns2.yourhost.com, etc.) then these name servers make a link between www.yourdomain.com and your website/server. if you want to use two different servers to serve the content you would set this up on the name server level not with your domain name provider. search "dns round robin"
    Last edited by kani; 03-08-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks for the info, kani -- will do the search.
    Karen
    Coolmath.com