Webhosting for music/pictures?

Hello all,

New guy here. I'm looking for an easy and affordable webhost for sharing my music and pictures. I don't need a dedicated server, I'm fine with shared hosting.

I will host mp3's and maybe wav files of my own music, plus sharing pictures with friends. I might like to have a flash intro, though I know people hate it. It wouldn't be too complicated, just playing a very short mp3 in the background and maybe some small animation features.

I've been reading reviews of site5, hostgator, dreamhost, bluehost, 1and1, and godaddy...and there's seem to be just as many bad reviews as good...though only one site has a "Xhostsucks" site!

Anyway, I also checked out A Small Orange. They seem cool, but their webspace in my budget seems very small (400MB space). Site5 looked interesting, but their pricing scale scared me ($50/month, or $120/year???).

Anyway, I don't need massive space, maybe around a Gig or two, and not even massive bandwidth, but I'd like to keep the costs under $100/year.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi! Welcome to WHT!

Are you going to host copyrighted MP3s?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Dear Cheeso,

As you said you did do you research already, so your off to a great start.

Im going to list the hosts in order of best to good. Each host has their own troubles, so most hosts are basically the same, we all have hickups.

1. Site5 and HostGator - they both seam to have a good track record as far as I have read within here and other forums.

2. DreamHost and BlueHost - They appear to have great servers and support. Though I did notice a hickup recently with BlueHost, nothing major.

3. Godaddy - I used to use them before I went into the web hosting business myself, they are great for uptime and speed, but their web hosting control panel is a nightmare, to this day I still dont know how to add a sub-domain.

4. 1and1.com - I had them a while back. Their servers are fast and very reliable, however their support is the worst possible. Almost better off with no support at all. There is an ongoing complaint with them currently with another individual on WHT. Appears their accounting department is about as worthless as their support. I wouldnt suggest them to anyone!

I would also suggest you checkout www.webhostingstuff.com and see if you can find more reviews on each of the hosts, plus you can see their average uptime.

Hope that helps,

Lane

go with vps/dedicated

DreamHost can be very good for a site like that.
    They recently added a tool/feature to do flash movie like Youtube.

Also, by using a promo codes found everywhere, you can get 97$ discount.
    Combined with 97 days money back garantee, you don't risk so much.

Although there are some valid complaints against DreamHost, many of bashing are coming from smaller hosts desperately trying to scare people away from their competitors.

Real users of DreamHost can see very easily that these people are telling things they don't know.
    Actually, it helps us to narrow down the list of potential hosting solutions ... by eliminating them.
    If they can say bad things like that, without hard evidences, they can do that to us, users, too.

It dippends on how much space and bandwidth you are looking for, cheap prices and high space/bandwidth is not always stable and reliable.
    Signature coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by corallinkz
    go with vps/dedicated
    As i do believe this will be out of your stated price range, i do believe you should consider it if you plan to have numerous people trying to listen to a movie or song at the same time. Also, somthing you need if you plan to run heavy cpu scrips.

Maybe somthing to keep in mind for later date when you need to upgrade.

Lane

I'll be hosting my own copyrighted mp3's, not anyone else's, not file sharing.

Also, I won't be streaming any audio, only hosting files for download. So, I don't need really high bandwidth for that

Also, I'm on Windows, and I'm afraid I don't know anything about Linux or Unix...there seems to be better deals for those users.

why do you need windows? is your website in php / html if so you can use linux/unix if your web is with asp.net then yes you must use windows hosting.
    Signature coming Soon!

My webpage will be in html. But I've never used Linux myself, I wouldn't know where to begin...does it even have a gui or is it all code?

You don't need to know about linux to publish your site, usually, the process is the same with both OS (you'll need to upload the files through FTP or Using Frontpage Extensions).
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

As Jedito said you have no problems you can use linux Hosting since you will upload your website via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) with a Program such as CuteFTP for faster uploading or use IE (Internet Explorer)
    Signature coming Soon!

With php/html, your site will be best served on linux or unix. Find a quality host that offers cpanel and the process will be an easy one. Alot of hosts even have nice, easy to follow tutorials for cpanel and other control panels.
    InfTek Hosting
    Shared and Dedicated Kerio MailServer Solutions
    http://www.inftekhosting.com

For image and music hosting, you will be ok with Dreamhost. I have a big arcade there with 2700 games and it works fine. I have the exact same site with Lunarpages. Both are good. LP is better for sql usage, but Dreamhost offers unlimited domains hosting.
    You may try the velocity if you want.

As for Windows or Linux hosting, you will just FTP the files there, so there isn't a big difference. You won't deal with the operating system.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

Does anyone have experience with iWeb?

Not yet, but planning to get one, soon.

I would recommend Site5 or Dreamhost for your purposes and you don't need Windows hosting for what you're doing with html files and multimedia files.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeso
    Does anyone have experience with iWeb?
    Try http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php you will find alot of reviews on iWeb I am sure.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>