Got us stumped...

Okay...any DNS gurus able to pinpoint the problem here. It's got me stumped...

Earlier, abc.com was delegated to:

ns1.mydomain.com (the actual mydomain.com service)
    ns2.mydomain.com
    ns3.mydomain.com
    ns4.mydomain.com
    ns1.ourdns.com (our actual nameservers)
    ns2.ourdns.com

We had alot of issues with this one resolving when it first came online. But it finally resolved, so that was fine. Now, we have had to move this domain to another server and change its nameservers. But it wont let go of the old IP.

The actual mydomain.com service for the domain has been dropped over 24 hours ago, and the domain has been delegated (at the Registrar) directly to ns1/2.ourdns.com (our nameservers).

However:

[[email protected] /root]# host abc.com
    abc.com has address (new_IP)
    abc.com mail is handled (pri=10) by mail.abc.com

[[email protected] /root]# host www.abc.com
    www.abc.com has address (OLD_IP)
    www.abc.com is a nickname for abc.com
    abc.com has address (new_IP)
    abc.com mail is handled (pri=10) by mail.abc.com

Until www.abc.com picks up the new IP the domain is opening up a completely unrelated website. And I'm happy to admit, that I cannot see what we've overlooked...

TIA

Regards

Gary

If we had the actual domain it would help. Did you check the SOA record on ns1.ourdns.com to make sure it thinks it is authoritative and not looking to ns1.mydomain.com for an answer?

Yes, we're authorative for it. mydomain.com wont answer for it now at all. We're presuming it is just a time issue, and we've got to wait some more for the old records to expire...but it's painful to say the least.

Cheers

Gary

What about the serial #(s)? Did you increment it/them? Are all the nameservers synched (meaning have the same zone info)? One may have conflicting information with another.

It really would help if we had the domain name(s).

Observation: That's a heck of a lot of nameservers.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

We've incremented the serial numbers. So, we'll we'll give it another 24 hours. The domain is veneco.com

Yes, I know it's a lot of domains. The only time we have ever had any problems, is with domains maintained at mydomain.com. Just a stroke of bad luck? Who knows. But we've just moved 200 or so domains and this is the only one that has presented any problems.

Cheers

Gary

From one part of the world it seems they are in sync

ftp# host veneco.com
    veneco.com has address 66.227.24.25
    veneco.com mail is handled (pri=10) by mail.veneco.com

ftp# host www.veneco.com
    www.veneco.com is a nickname for veneco.com

Just tried on another box on the other side of N.A., same story. Patience I guess.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Is the new IP: 64.157.92.95 ??
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    Is the new IP: 64.157.92.95 ??
    No, that's the one we're waiting to shake.

Gary

Query: www.veneco.com
    Registry: whois.namesdirect.com
    Results:

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

Server Name: WWW.VENECO.COM
    IP Address: 64.157.92.95
    Registrar: NAMESDIRECT.COM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.namesdirect.com
    Referral URL: http://www.namesdirect.com
    I accidently typed www infront when I did the whois and that spit out, so might be of some use...
    -Mat Sumpter
    Penton Media

The two examples I gave were on either side of N.A.

I took my forwarders out of named.conf and re-ran it...

%host veneco.com and www.veneco.com - same answer

Based on your earlier reponse to prohacker it looks like its just a matter of time before it percolates down.

ps, for what its worth, I was seeing similar behaviour on a domain I transfered to pairnic.

I think alot of people have had this problem...

I've never had a whois server return an IP though

You might check the domain control panel and make sure that an IP isn't defined for www.veneco.com, I might be sending you on a wild goose chase though
    -Mat Sumpter
    Penton Media

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    I think alot of people have had this problem...

I've never had a whois server return an IP though

You might check the domain control panel and make sure that an IP isn't defined for www.veneco.com, I might be sending you on a wild goose chase though
    The client is pretty adamant that there is no web forwarding for the domain, which I thought might be in place at http://www.namesdirect.com/ndadmin.html (if that service does allow for the "www" to be forwarded to an IP that is).

Anything that was in place at mydomain.com should be expired/expiring soon, so hopefully the standard delegation that is in place (I've checked this within his domain manager) will take effect.

Thanks folks. I was hoping we weren't overlooking something (we've been in a blur of redelegations recently), and a fresh set of eyes will usually pick it up.

Cheers

Gary

Looks like The Prohacker found the problem earlier, when doing a whois on www.veneco.com. There is a nameserver record in the root for www.veneco.com with the old IP address. You need to go to namesdirect and delete or modify the nameserver(s) based on the domain veneco.com to get the root nameservers back in sync with what you are doing.

There are no nameservers on veneco.com listed at namesdirect. Not that I can find, and I just logged back in and double checked.

Gary

Originally posted by Editor
    There are no nameservers on veneco.com listed at namesdirect. Not that I can find, and I just logged back in and double checked.

Gary

Are you sure you looked in the right place? There IS a nameserver in the central registry with the name www.venco.com and the IP address 64.157.92.95.

I have never used namesdirect interface, so I don't know what it looks like, but... since they are affiliated with OpenSRS, it may be similar to theirs.

When I log into OpenSRS to manage a domain, I click on nameserers to get to the page which lists the nameservers I want to be authoritative for that domain, which (in your case) would be ns1/2.downtownhosting.com. This isn't where I want to be though. Scrolling down the screen, I get to a link...

If you want to create or modify a nameserver which is based on veneco.com click here.

clicking on that then gets me to a page where I can create/edit/delete nameservers based on the name veneco.com. It is here that I would enter ns1.veneco.com or ns2.veneco.com if I wanted to RUN nameservers under those hostnames. This is where you should see the entry for www.veneco.com with the current IP of 64.157.92.95

note: there is also a warning on that page to make sure that you have DNS software running on the host/IP you are creating, "if not, you probably don't want to use this feature"

duh

www.veneco.com is a registered hostname.

Code:
    [email protected]:~$ dig @a.gtld-servers.net www.veneco.com 

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net www.veneco.com
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 12537
    ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.veneco.com.                        IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.veneco.com.         172800  IN      A       64.157.92.95

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    veneco.com.             172800  IN      NS      NS1.DOWNTOWNHOSTING.com.
    veneco.com.             172800  IN      NS      NS2.DOWNTOWNHOSTING.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    NS1.DOWNTOWNHOSTING.com. 172800 IN      A       66.227.24.26
    NS2.DOWNTOWNHOSTING.com. 172800 IN      A       66.227.24.27

;; Query time: 20 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.5.6.30#53(a.gtld-servers.net)
    ;; WHEN: Wed Jun 26 14:30:32 2002
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 132
    just get the hostrecord dropped. (kinda a pain but this happens a lot with moron DNS admins who insert host records for nameservers called "www.")

-davidu
    EveryDNS.NET :: FreeDNS and more.

Originally posted by elsmore1
    This is where you should see the entry for www.veneco.com with the current IP of 64.157.92.95
    There are none listed. I have been in there. Which is why I thought it was setup at mydomain.com and hasn't expired yet. This hostname is not setup at namedirect.

Gary

I don't know why namesdirect wouldn't list www.veneco.com as being registered as a host name, You may have to contact them to find out. You might be able to attempt to add (create) it (www.veneco.com) as a new nameserver, and by doing so kind of "jog" their system into picking it up. You shouldn't be successful at actually creating it, as it already exists in the root servers, and at the time of this posting is still returning the old IP address.

In any event, you will have to work with namesdirect.com to get the hostname removed from or modified in the root nameservers, as long as namesdirect is the listed registrar for the parent domain, veneco.com.

I've been receiving Cc's of messages between my client and both namesdirect and mydomain, and some of their answers have been nothing short of ridiculous. namedirect can't help because the client has "moved" his domain (i.e. redelegated it) and mydomain have no record whatsoever of the domain and therefore can't help other than to tell him to sign up and delegate his domain to ns1/2/3/4.mydomain.com before they can work it out.

Incredible.

Gary

Originally posted by Editor
    I've been receiving Cc's of messages between my client and both namesdirect and mydomain, and some of their answers have been nothing short of ridiculous. namedirect can't help because the client has "moved" his domain (i.e. redelegated it) and mydomain have no record whatsoever of the domain and therefore can't help other than to tell him to sign up and delegate his domain to ns1/2/3/4.mydomain.com before they can work it out.

Incredible.

Gary
    Has your client used the term "glue record" in reference to the root nameservers? Sounds like both registrars are mis-understanding the problem, and therefore proposing solutions that won't work. the phrase glue record may ring a bell for one of them...