Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sticky posts really 6 months wait?

Looking over the sticky post to purchase a few right in a row, seems that the wait is 6 months. This can't be correct?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    Looking over the sticky post to purchase a few right in a row, seems that the wait is 6 months. This can't be correct?
    Yep, it is correct. I was talking to iNet about it the other day. Not only that, but the prices also went up.
    Ryan Smith

Hi,

What do you mean by purchasing few in a row? There's a limit to purchasing stickies as in there are only one week's sticky available for purchase each week, that is few months ahead of time of course for the purchase. I do not think you can purchase few in advance, unless they have changed this policy?

Cheers
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Wow, thats terrible. It wouldnt be any help if you were running a current promotion then!

After thinking about this for a minute I wonder why they dont implement a seperate forum for paid ads (threads) then they could certainly have more posted at once.
    Last edited by Martie; 12-21-2006 at 11:00 PM.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

That is crazy. What did the pricing bounce up to now?

That is crazy.
    Umm, no, that's the laws of supply and demand working there. They have a limited number of sticky slots available, and rather than create rows and rows of stickies (which would be useless) they increase pricing if the demand is stronger than supply.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Well certainly the reason why someone would want to purchase a sticky post would be to stand out and remain at the top of the forum. What would be the purpose if they were selling multiple stickies??? I completely understand that, but 6 months...I think its just more of a disappointment rather than anything else Bob.

That is crazy. What did the pricing bounce up to now?
    A few months ago (for the dedicated server forum) I was quoted at $100/ week. I wanted to buy a sticky for that a few days ago, and since they were sold out, it was a very long wait. And they quoted me at $800/ week on Monday morning.

Which forum, there are forums that go for 10$/week
    Jordan Jacobs | VP, Products|SingleHop| JJ @SingleHop.com
    Managed Dedicated Servers | Bare-Metal Servers | Cloud Services

Well certainly the reason why someone would want to purchase a sticky post would be to stand out and remain at the top of the forum. What would be the purpose if they were selling multiple stickies???
    I think they go 3 stickies deep in most catagories.
    I completely understand that, but 6 months...I think its just more of a disappointment rather than anything else Bob.
    Yeah, such is life in the hard world of supply and demand advertising.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob

Yeah, such is life in the hard world of supply and demand advertising.
    Yup I hear that. Well I just contacted sales@inetinteractive.com to get this setup for June, man that sounds bad haha.

Quote Originally Posted by SSX/BRUZEN
    A few months ago (for the dedicated server forum) I was quoted at $100/ week.
    Just how many months is a few? I believe the dedi offers has been much higher than that for quite a long time.

Maybe iNet should hold back a sticky each week and auction it off a month/week before it is due to get stuck. That way people that just want a sticky sometime in the future can still just pick one, but the companies with a upcoming promotion that would like the extra exposure can bid on it.
    Steve

I do think certain companies are purchasing multiple weeks at a time. A quick look down in the offers forum over the last six weeks would give you some inclination as to who that is. Maybe limiting companies to one ad per X number of weeks would give iNet a wider ad base (people get tired of "unavailable" messages pretty quick).

Reseller / Shared had a vacant spot for the last week of December when I checked on Tuesday.

It's hard to tell if the pricing has gone up for wht advertising. I checked at least six ad modules for WHT advertising and every one of them brought back a message of:

Due to inventory limitations on the selected web site, some products have been removed from the self-service portal. Please contact sales@inetinteractive.com for current pricing and availability.
    Almost every time I see that, when related to advertising, it is a polite way of saying that the "set" prices are no longer available and the price is now floating (Think: Rackspace pricing)

It would be nice if some pricing was posted, so people don't waste their time waiting for a rep to get back to them (usually around 4 days).

It does, however, validate iNet's statement (a little) that the right banner was brought in due to high demand.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

It's odd. Just last April-June I was able to gobble up several weeks worth of stickies, for that current time. Several times I was able to grab that week's sticky the Sunday before.

A few months ago (for the dedicated server forum) I was quoted at $100/ week. I wanted to buy a sticky for that a few days ago, and since they were sold out, it was a very long wait. And they quoted me at $800/ week on Monday morning.
    Are you sure it was $100? The last time I purchased one it was $600, and that was in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    After thinking about this for a minute I wonder why they dont implement a seperate forum for paid ads (threads) then they could certainly have more posted at once.
    Thats a good idea mate!!!!

Whadda ya think Dennis??

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Separating the paid ads out too much, and increasing the number of them might just devalue them too much. If you can afford it, a sticky at the top of a current forum with one other person is going to get many more hits than one out in a separate forum with lots of paid threads.

Of course maybe WHT could go down the Sitepoint route and make all threads in the advertising forum cost money... That would certainly filter out a lot of posts.
    Steve

I do not think you can purchase few in advance
    You can. I've done this the past few years around this time of year, buying a block of a month or so in certain forums. You just have to know when to pick them up.

Unfortunately, stickies get sold out faster than anything, hence they need to adjust the PRICING on those that get sold out fast to compensate. More stickies wouldn't make any sense, and a forum for "paid ads" wouldn't either, as it would devalue the current stickies.
    Of course maybe WHT could go down the Sitepoint route and make all threads in the advertising forum cost money...
    One can only wish. We've had that certain discussion before, actually. I'd be all for it if the price was reasonable (maybe adding free ad posting only as a "premium member" benefit). This would both add VALUE to the Premium membership AND get rid of the junk
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex-Steve
    Of course maybe WHT could go down the Sitepoint route and make all threads in the advertising forum cost money... That would certainly filter out a lot of posts.

Yes, a format like that would be great here, I think. Sitepoint seems to be doing a great job with theirs.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

I find it amusing that iNet allows there to be a six month wait rather than just adjust pricing in order to reduce demand.

Quote Originally Posted by IRCCo Jeff
    I find it amusing that iNet allows there to be a six month wait rather than just adjust pricing in order to reduce demand.
    They could adjust the pricing, but that would smash the competition. Only a few companies could probably afford to pay the price that would be required for a little sticky for one week, and so the stickies would be dominated (more so than they are now) but just a few companies.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    They could adjust the pricing, but that would smash the competition. Only a few companies could probably afford to pay the price that would be required for a little sticky for one week, and so the stickies would be dominated (more so than they are now) but just a few companies.

Alex
    You mean it isn't just about the money?
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by inogenius
    It's odd. Just last April-June I was able to gobble up several weeks worth of stickies, for that current time. Several times I was able to grab that week's sticky the Sunday before.

Are you sure it was $100? The last time I purchased one it was $600, and that was in 2005.
    I paid $100 for one recently as well.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

Since I no longer do shared hosting, I'll let one of my secrets slip out. Take the 800 you would have spent on a sticky for one week and load up some banner ads from posts in the advertising offers forums. If you have something worth buying you should generate some interest from those banner ads.

wow... i didn't know u could buy sticky threads... i thought it was because they were most popular
    Your reading skill has increased by one point!
    computers are cool now OK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast