Thread: Building Trust

Building Trust

Ok, I know, this is very unusual for me to be starting a new thread. But anyways...

My question is simple. To other successful hosts out there, how did you build trust in your business initially to get through the critical startup phase? We're facing a brick wall here, and I just can't understand why. All of our existing clients (that I've personally spoken to anyway) love our service, and wouldn't switch for the world. Any insight from experienced, successful hosts would be awesome!
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

There really isin't an accurate answer for this question - I wouldn't say there is. It mainly depends on the way that you represent yourself, and manage your clients (I'm sure just about everyone here could agree with me on that). Make sure you treat to prospective clients with just as much respect as you do your current clients, and represent your company as a group of professionals (create a nice web presence).

This is definetly going to be an interesting topic *subscribes* .

I mean the first step would be a great site design, that welcomes your current clients as well as prospective clients.

The next would be great support, encourage prospective clients to ask questions, because the more re-assurement you give them that you're the right host, the more likely they are to come back, and bring friends. Maybe add a "got a question?" button and direct it to a contact page where they can easily reach you.

Then I guess it's the waiting game, that's where we are right now. Almost all of our new clients are referrals from other current clients, and we are starting to offer incentives, such as a certain %'age off a customers bill for every friend they refer (basically and affiliate program).

Quote Originally Posted by Techpresence
    This is definetly going to be an interesting topic *subscribes* .
    I'll second that! Ok, my 2 cents, Dan, first of all, if you treat your current and prospective clients the same way you treat everyone here it's only a matter of time before you get past that brick wall. Your very active and always trying to help others out and give suggestions and I'm sure your the same way with your business! Business can be a pain at times and yeh, brick walls pop up all the time with all of us. Sometimes it seems like your so busy you don't sleep for a month, other times you feel like throwing in the towel. Get your current clients to tell their associates about you, network your back side off, weekly or monthly press releases, chambers, etc.,etc. you know what you have to do, hang in there and do it! Best of luck!!
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!

Everytime an existing customer tells you how great you are, send them to a 'hosting review site' and politely ask if they'd mind leaving a comment. Link to that from your website, as it serves as an independant customer testimonial page. It holds more weight than simply adding some testimonials to your own website.

Next, offer incentives to your clients to refer others to you. Affiliate programs can seem impersonal and almost like you're offering the customer a new service...not like they're doing you a favor and you appreciate it. Send out a newsletter and say that you're trying to boost new signups and you'd like their help. Offer a free month (or whatever) if they'd refer a friend to you. I've always found this method to work so much better, in general, than offering an affiliate program.

Offer an affiliate program as well. There's always a few business savvy customers out there that would love to take advantage of an affiliate program. Give them that option too.

Most of all, don't be shy about asking existing customers for help. When customers email me and tell me how happy they are, I will thank them profusely and generally end it by making a little 'joke' and say "Tell a friend! *grin* "

In the almost 10 years that we've been in business, I've almost always had a zero ad budget. We get so many signups from word-of-mouth from other customers, that we grow at a rate that I'm comfortable with. Over the years I've just made sure that my customers know how much I appreciate their referrals. It seems to work!

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I would agree that working on site design could help quit a bit. Who are you trying to market to? What makes you different than all the other hosting companies out there? Ask yourself those questions and then tell your visitors on your home page. Search engines can't read pictures or graphics so try to add more text that describes why your visitor should host with your company.

Hey, guys, thanks for the comments and suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

MSN. Yeah, if you know there msn sometimes message them is everything fine with your hosting? Any problems or questions etc. < which is what we did, plus comment on site design and help them sort out a few php errors if possible. Well, it worked for most of our client's anyway

www.wattproxy.info

That is indeed a good idea. Thanks for that!

Hi!
    I think I've been around the block enough times to be able to comment on this.

Trust...I think it should be said many customers sign up on blind trust. I trust you will be there when I need you...I *think* you can be trusted with a real credit card..etc..etc.

I think, due to abuses of this, many start out with the opposite in mind. Ok...I don't trust you. Prove to me you won't disappear mid-month with my money.
    Prove to me you really do have a staff that is 24/7. Prove to me that you deserve my business.

It's funny...many people think the time in business is a big factor..as far as...if you have been in business for 7 years...vs...someone who is just a year old..will be less likely to take my money and run. My personal experience has been jsut the opposite..however..not for the long term.

I have got great deals..and great service..from smaller..newer..hosts. However...it all came crashing down in month #2...when they saw they were not going to be able to pay the bills..and even have enough left to grab a burger and fries.

It happens..I would never pay for more than a month at a time..never...unless you are a 1and1..and are so cheap quarterly payments are no big deal. i would have no problem with quarterly payments for $5/month hosting..or along those lines.

I think the critical factor is trust has to be earned. How you earn it differs with different people..although I'm convinced helping for free here helps. Handling pre-sales emails in a friendly, timely manner helps. Displaying uptime stats does nothing for me...personally...because I happen to know much of that is fake.

I am more impressed with complete stats pages..not jsut a bunch of numbers bragging about uptime. Is Mysql up? When was the server last rebooted? This is important...because I want to see reboots. I think it would be interesting to see not only when was it last rebooted...but why. I've never seen that.

Server 4 was rebooted on 12/7/2006 because of a kernel upgrade and a memory upgrade.

I've never seen a server status page showing how many accounts are on the server...clearly...this is something many hosts would rather not display.

Here's another idea: When have you seen a support status page...that displayed average ticket response times...last ticket filed..and when it was replied to?
    These are things that would help me...if I was in the market for hosting..to build trust.

>>I spend quite a bit of time in the "outages" section of this board. The most important thing to look for is how the host (if) responds to this. Was it helpful?
    Kind? Do they seem like they care? Or not?

I've given this quite a bit of thought...and thought I would share.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Bryon, thank you so much for the long response. Great information in there, and you definitely made many good points. Thank you, again, for taking the time to reply.

You can even try referral system or some kind of affiliate system.

Greets

Hi!
    You are very welcome. <kick in geezer voice> I've been around for a long time I have! Why I can remember when computers had 4K memory! Cassette tape drives...<end geezer voice>

I am very thankful I dodged the bullet on the tape drive thing...my first pc had a disk drive. It's kinda of interesting..when you think about it:

First..it was a geek/novelty thing

IBM changed all that...and it's never been the same since...and most would say that's a good thing.

You know..I joke about the hosting vortex(tm)..but it is kind of addictive..much like some boards (cough!) Aye! Once it truly has ye...there be no escapin it!

It's been a good while since I posted this..and it's worthy of posting again. Each of us has a certain number of talents..gifts..and skills that we have acquired.

I think the real job is being able to find "leverage" to find problems that we can solve with these talents..gifts..skills..and hopefully find people that are willing to pay us a fair price to use them. Some of us have had so many horrid experiences pursuing a so-called "career" with a/several large corporation(s)...we have to find something that will work on our own. Sometimes we can have..say...piece 1,2,3,4,6,7 of the puzzle..but for it to work..we must have piece 5 and 8..or it will never work.

Most people would be quick to say lack of proper finances kill many would-be hosts. Maybe...but the biggest killer I've seen is this: Who are your customers?
    if you don't know that...you are in big trouble. There is no way you can even survive in this business simply doing what somebody else does.

How many hosts do you know right now...who do nothing different? Offer nothing special? What can *you* bring to the party that is different? Better? Cheaper? Faster? And remember...if you can't tell people about it...uhhh...it's lost as well.

Just because it's different...does not mean people are willing to pay extra for it...either. Witness the different choices of control panels...some very different than others...yet...if they've had Cpanel..most people are going to want Cpanel..are they not? Some do..some don't..but most will want it. They may complain..but..bottom line..what are the figures? 20 to 1? 30? 40? Maybe even higher?

My father was very lucky. He was a darn good salesman...and did what his brother did..sell barber and beauty supplies. He was a very careful with the finances...and worked like a beaver to build a business from scratch. He passed away when I was not that old..but...the entire market was changing..even then.

His business could not have survived many years past his death due to one thing:
    A brand-new store front Walmart-like competitor was about to take over. Gone from the equation were the things he built his business on: Fast service..personal attention..and now..the only ting that mattered was price. Therefore...he could not compete.

As I have said many times...it is impossible for us to succeed as hosts without being hosting customers for a period of time beforehand.

There is no "secret" formula to this..each of us must find our own formula..work it..and hopefully succeed. If we don't..dust ourselves off..and go at it again.

As I have posted before..I think it is critical for us to think of daily activities in the context of a specific role. Example:

8-9AM I am going to work on marketing things..advertising.

I think it is easier to do so by giving yourself "jobs"...literally..as say:

1) Marketing manager
    2) Business manager
    3) accountant
    4) salesperson
    5) tech support worker
    6) tech support manager
    7) website designer

on so on. Set goals for each role...and make sure things get done.

>>>Ok..ok..add 8) teacher
    >>>to the list.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Hi!
    Since this has turned out to be *quite* a thread...I'll add a few more things and let be.

There is something else..learn from the mistakes of others. During one of our down times..I went searching. Here's what I found:

http://www.dotjournal.com/web-hostin...berwings-story

There is a heck of lot in those few articles. I recommend them to be added to your "download and print" list. Even more telling...is the interview with the founder of Cyberwings. Of course..what he doesn't tell you is telling in itself:

Unsubstainable business model

Cyberwings was not only overselling..but doing the ole "get them to pay for a year so we can keep the program on the air *this* month" deal...it seems.
    Unlimited space indeed. There are many others...of course.

Aother big flameout came to mind:

angelnetworkz

Of course..there are others who are having/have had serious problems. Three come to mind right off the bat:

webhostplus
    site5
    bliksemhosting

and many others...not so public..perhaps not even on this board.

The critical thing is: Don't insist on making all the mistakes yourself. Learn from the mistakes of others.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer