Thumbs down UnitedHosting - big complaint and question

Greetings all.

So, after lurking around on these forums for a little while, I thought I'd found the ideal host for a UK ecommerce website I'm building - unitedhosting.co.uk.

Unfortunately, there's one slight problem - they apparently don't want my business. I've called them three times, each time getting a recorded message saying that their operators are busy, and to please leave a message.

So I did, specifically stating that my enquiry is sales related and not for tech support. Did they get back to me? Did they bollocks.

Their loss.

So my question now is this:

What hosts have
    - a stellar reputation round here (very low number of negative comments, i.e. like unitedhosting seems to have)
    - UK based support
    - a listed contact phone number
    - PHP 4 or above
    - MySQL 4 (5 would be nice but not essential) with phpmyadmin
    - ImageMagick
    - htaccess support
    - about 20 GB monthly bandwidth
    - support for installing my own SSL certificate

edit: something funny going on with line breaks in posts here, at least without scripts running..
    Last edited by fubarbundy; 12-20-2006 at 08:50 AM.

I suugest you loolk through offer's section here on WHT. What kinв ща business are you going to run? Have you read their TOS AUP?

Don't let the first impression put you off, talk to them again, they seem to have a "stellar" reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by billardent
    Don't let the first impression put you off, talk to them again, they seem to have a "stellar" reputation.
    Again? How the hell am I meant to do that? :-)

Did you also send those questions via email (pre-sales)
    Some hosts do not offer phone support. Im not familiar with their policy though. I would think a sales question could, would be answered through their phone system since its obviously advertised on their site. I would have also sent those questions via email OR I believe they still have a very active forum.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Their phone hours are between 9AM to 5PM GMT, are you sure you called between that time or after it? Try sending an email or using the contact form on their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by WN-Ali
    Their phone hours are between 9AM to 5PM GMT, are you sure you called between that time or after it?
    That may be the problem then
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Do you have a specific budget for what you are looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Martie
    That may be the problem then
    He said he left a message and they never called back.

If you're still up for giving them a try, I suggest contacting them online. In the time we were hosted with them, we never had to wait more than an hour for a reply.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Clook.net has a pretty good reputation too, but as with the others I have had very very good support from UH when I put a client on their servers.

-Tim

If you emailed us on sales (at) and your email was received then you would get a ticket number - could you provide me with that ticket number so I can see if/why your questions were not answered?

We do answer all emails within minutes (literally) and also our phone is answered between 9am and 5pm GMT, if you leave a message we return the call.

Obviously I would like to address this as a communication breakdown is apparent and I would like to re-assure you that we have earnt the reputation you have read about.

I look forward to hearing from you and have a wonderful holiday period!
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

I did call three times during office hours, and what the content of my query would have been is not relevant as I didn't get to that stage.

Matt, I didn't email you. I did eventually get a call back from one of your sales staff, and she was very helpful after that.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that not receiving a call back was a one time thing. However, you need more people manning your phones in the first place so that potential customers don't have to leave messages, which gives a bad first impression.

I have signed up with you; I hope I have made the right decision on my company's behalf.

edit: there is definitely something wrong with line breaks on this forum when scripting isn't enabled; admins please fix!

Quote Originally Posted by fubarbundy
    I did call three times during office hours, and what the content of my query would have been is not relevant as I didn't get to that stage.

Matt, I didn't email you. I did eventually get a call back from one of your sales staff, and she was very helpful after that.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that not receiving a call back was a one time thing. However, you need more people manning your phones in the first place so that potential customers don't have to leave messages, which gives a bad first impression.

I have signed up with you; I hope I have made the right decision on my company's behalf.

edit: there is definitely something wrong with line breaks on this forum when scripting isn't enabled; admins please fix!

To be totally honest, I would say 9 out of 10 (if not more) pre-sales enquiries come via. email or live chat and not the telephone. While we do not gurantee an immediate answer from a member of our sales team we do always return messages left (although something obviously went wrong in your case). We will certainly look at ways of improving the pre-sales telephone line but are very happy to hear you have given us the benefit of the doubt, we're confident that you won't regret it.

Welcome aboard and Merry Xmas!
    Last edited by UH-Simon; 12-22-2006 at 10:11 AM.
    Simon Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    Shared | Reseller | Managed Dedicated
    www.unitedhosting.co.uk | www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Well handled UH!
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd