Is Yahoo's web hosting the best?

Hi all, am very new to web hosting n well was wondering is Yahoo's hosting the best of the lot or there r better ones? also wats the diference between yahoo merchant account and web hosting? find the merchant account more expensive. one more thing is i look at lots of web hosting prices ranging from as low as $5/mth so why is it that some say its very expensive to setup a website? Thanks in advance n sori if the questions sounds dumb but i truly dun know the answers.

Hi million2b!

If you use the search function here, you might discover not much positive topics and comments about Yahoo hosting. They appear to be too big to be friendly. I suggest to look a bit more. Please note I have NOT have hands-on experience with Yahoo! hosting, I only reflect other people's opinions here!

Also the merchant account are more expensive because it will give you merchant capabilities so you can accept creditcards and such payments on your website.
    hi there!

What did you mean when was saying "the best"? I think that there are not the best hosting company. Some people choose hoster according to their budget. Some people choose hosting according to their spec etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SambaDeBrazil
    What did you mean when was saying "the best"? I think that there are not the best hosting company. Some people choose hoster according to their budget. Some people choose hosting according to their spec etc.
    For me well am looking more towards a low budget and well specs i really dun know wat exactly am supposed to look out for. intend to have just a few pages links n pictures on my web page. N from what i see Yahoo 'seemed' popular so i thought they stand at the best. A fren recommended Start logic and Bluehost. Any comments on them? Thanks.

Just make search there with "Bluehost" aand you will get threads with feedback about them.

I guess for hosting starters you should look into webhosting directories such as HostReview.com & WebHostDir.com they've a list of alot of good webhosting firms.

After you find the one suitable for you simply search for feedback about it in different webhosting-related forums.

Do you really need all the features that those hosts have listed? You can search about almost any host on this forum using http://webhostingtalk.com/search.php that will help you to get an approximate idea of how their services is.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by million2b
    Hi all, am very new to web hosting n well was wondering is Yahoo's hosting the best of the lot or there r better ones? also wats the diference between yahoo merchant account and web hosting? find the merchant account more expensive. one more thing is i look at lots of web hosting prices ranging from as low as $5/mth so why is it that some say its very expensive to setup a website? Thanks in advance n sori if the questions sounds dumb but i truly dun know the answers.
    I give you props for asking those questions and not going into things blindly.

In a nutshell - buyer beware. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by eGawish
    I guess for hosting starters you should look into webhosting directories such as HostReview.com & WebHostDir.com they've a list of alot of good webhosting firms.

After you find the one suitable for you simply search for feedback about it in different webhosting-related forums.
    Do you realy think that that sites provide realy independence reviews. Some of them belong to webhosting companies.

I used Yahoo!'s GeoCities hosting service for about two years in 2000 - 2002 time period. At first, it was Ok, but the service got worse and worse as time went on, eventually causing me to leave. There are definitely many hosts out there who do a much better job than Yahoo!.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Yahoo! Hosting is amazing when it comes to reliability. Your website is replicated to several locations, not just one, including your MySQL databases. At one point busy day my website was easily servering around 100 visitors per second for several hours.

They suck at some things though. Form Mail is one of them. If your PHP/Perl form mail is sending to addresses other than your domain, they will limit you to 250 messages per day. But if to your domain, there is no limit. This is probably to prevent spam. If you want to implement a contact us feature you will have no trouble. But if you want to implement a "Tell a Friend" feature then you are in for a trouble!

And no MySQL InnoDB databases.

For free web hosting service , I think Yahoo! is the best. But for the paid ones , I don't think so. There's so many award winning web hosting around.

million2b, my advice is: spend an afternoon reading the forums here, and sunddenly you will no longer be new to webhosting
    There is so much info here, real unbiased reviews, that you'll be able to see and decide for yourself.

I use webhosting services for 9 years now (paid for 7), and even so I come here anytime I need an additional webhost.

Bye!
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

Yahoo support is not known to be the best.
    Hosting is cheap, but there are lot of other things where it will cost lot of money. For eg: custom programming, web design etc. Running a website can be costly/cheap depending on howmuch work you can do yourself.
    Hosting Coupons: MediaTemple Recurring Discount, HostNine Offers and more..

Yahoo Web Hosting

I think saying that one web host is the best without question is bold statement to make.

With Yahoo you definitely get a trusted brand, their hosting platform is based off of their extremely secure backend that runs all of their other services. I personally would prefer this to a low cost provider running cpanel.

Also they cost a little more, which keeps the quality of the individuals/businesses you are sharing servers with very high. (if any of you have ever been sharing a server with some questionable characters you know what I'm talking about)

I wouldn't say without a doubt they are best though, there really are alot of high quality web hosting options available out there and it really depends on your needs.

Yahoo might be perfect for a small business, but terrible if you are looking for some specific feature that they don't offer.
    Hostway: The Hosting Company
    Web Hosting | Hosted Exchange

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl
    In a nutshell - buyer beware. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
    OT: If I pay peanuts I expect elephants. If I wanted monkeys, I'd pay bananas, dagnabbit!