The New York NOC - 30 Day review

Hello to all,

Recently I moved a half dozen servers over to these guys :

http://www.thenynoc.com | The New York NOC

Overall I am extremely pleased. Below is a breakdown of what I think is important from their end, and how well they did on a score of 1 - 10

1.) First Line Sales : [ 10 / 10 ]

I did not get 'bumped' to a higher level tech. The person answering the chat (Andy) was extremely knowledgeable. I got a configuration with some servers, a couple of private switches, odd networking requests and they agreed to provide an OS that wasn't already on their menu.

2.) Setup Time : [ 9 / 10 ]

This is really more a 10/10, but I'm comparing them unfairly to companies that are much larger than they are who have a ton of inventory laying around. Most of my stuff was up within 48 hours, had to wait a few days to get the things they custom ordered for me.

3.) Accuracy : [ 10 / 10 ]

Everything was exactly as I ordered it. All of the hardware was in great shape, everything worked, drives looked good.. no issues whatsoever. After 30 days with some DB intense stuff I found no signs of bad ram or anything else.

Network cabling was also dead on right, nobody ever got it right before.

4.) Support : [ 10 / 10 ]

Above and beyond anything I expected. I've kept their techs busy moving around hardware because my design changed midway through setting up my stuff.. no issues, they did it very quickly. I haven't gotten any 'canned' responses from the support staff, and they read / understand requests well. From the outside, it looks like the people who own the place run the place. I can't be sure.

They also have humans, not robots working the abuse desk. BIG PLUS.

5.) Pricing : [ 10 / 10 ]

Pricing is what I'd expect from some of the larger places, but not 'scary low'. I'm the kind who doesn't want to get something too cheap because I get worried that I'm getting someone elses recycled headaches. They've been about $10 - $15 lower monthly than I expected on all the quotes I've received.

6.) Network : [ 10 / 10 ]

I've had less issues with their network than I did at Savvis. I'm sure part of this is just due to less congestion, and part of it is its a much smaller network to watch. I really don't care why, I'm just glad it is what it is No complaints of odd inaccessability issues, and I haven't had to analyze a traceroute in a month.

7.) Business Model / Practices : [ 10 / 10 ]

This is probably a little biased because I got really sick of dealing with huge companies. I can say that moving back to a smaller provider has solved the problems that I hoped it would. I feel like my business is appreciated again.

Overall : [ 10 / 10 ] .. these guys are a good bet. No place is going to be perfect in every sense of the word. What's important to me is they listen to customer feedback and adjust as they grow to make sure they maintain their focus. I have every reason to believe that's the case here.

So, for any who care or are looking for a provider .. they're a good choice in my opinion. I found them here, so I thought I'd post my experiences after some time passed.

Best to all,
    -Tim

Sounds like they've been great to you. Hope it continues into the future.

Yep sounds like a great provider to me, lets hope it stays that way although so far it sounds like they know what there doing

I do a lot of stuff with Virtualization, clusters, kernel hacking .. I really need the physical layer to be right all of the time. They're the first ones who just 'got it right' and asked the right questions.

They also took a genuine interest in the kinds of stuff I do, I got the impression that they like to have a full grasp of what's going on within their network. That was another really positive indicator.

As you said, hope it continues I'm pretty sure it will , if they were going to screw up .. with my configs and needs, I'm sure they would have by now.

Best to all -
    Tim

Hey Tim can you pm me an IP on their network please. (Their website is using hostgator @ The Planet, and the traceroute on their site doesn't work)

Quote Originally Posted by BPrintz
    Hey Tim can you pm me an IP on their network please. (Their website is using hostgator @ The Planet, and the traceroute on their site doesn't work)
    Will do. They put their support stuff outside of the network so its available in the case of an outage (a good idea, actually).

Shooting it to you via PM now.

Deffinately a good idea, just makes it tough to take a peak at the network when an IP isn't given and the traceroute on site doesn't work. Thanks for the PM, their prices look very competitive, and decent traces / ping times from the north and south.... might have to give them a try

Edit: From the traces looks like they are going through convergentns.net they also use the same pics off that site for their datacenter, though it looks like they have different bandwidth providers....
    Last edited by BPrintz; 12-20-2006 at 06:44 AM.

bprintz, they are located within the convergent datacenter but use their own racks, etc. I am a colo client of theirs. If you want one of my ips with them, just let me know.

A is my grade for them as well.

Thanks for that great review Tim! It's been a pleasure working with you thus far As far as tracing to Convergent...we are located within the Convergent Data Center. We maintain our own equipment, etc.

If you have any questions, you are always welcome to contact us
    Senior Network Architect
    Managed Network Services for Hosting Providers
    www.ipexperts.net
    | https://anycastvpn.net

Hello,

I've previously had machines with thenynoc and i echo your good experience

Quote Originally Posted by BPrintz
    Deffinately a good idea, just makes it tough to take a peak at the network when an IP isn't given and the traceroute on site doesn't work. Thanks for the PM, their prices look very competitive, and decent traces / ping times from the north and south.... might have to give them a try

Edit: From the traces looks like they are going through convergentns.net they also use the same pics off that site for their datacenter, though it looks like they have different bandwidth providers....
    What you are also seeing is me cheaping out and going with only Cogent bandwidth. Most of those boxes host no-one, and exist just for R&D purposes (a ton of testing with Xen)

I believe they also offer GlobalCrossing (and others?) .. not entirely sure.. but if you contact them do ask about different blends of BW.

Best,
    -Tim

it is great to see good reviews

This post did not come up in a simple search of:
    WebHostingTalk Forums : Main Forums : Dedicated Server Forum, using Keyword "nynoc", but I am very pleased to have been pointed to this topic and to see the good reviews of thenynoc.com.

I am in the process of trying to obtain information on them in another topic, but most of my questions are answered here with the exception of a review of their Global Crossing network.

Good reviews.

Merry Christmas,

JD

I've had pretty good luck with Cogent lately .. although I had heard some nightmares about it in the past (and experienced some myself).. but I'm beginning to think they got some of the major issues worked out.

I have about 15 guests monitored from a few different facilities with a few different carriers, I have yet to see even much of a hiccup on any of my Cogent connected boxes. Many of my customers are outside of the US with Cogent connected ISP's .. so its worked out really well. Hybodus is very sensitive and I get less hiccups than I saw at Layered Tech (Savvis).

What's funny is, I thought it would be the other way around

Global Crossing, from what folks who use it tell me .. is great, I'm also eager to compare it. I've gotten enough good feedback to be pretty sure its a safe bet.

Best,
    --Tim

It can't be that they have 10 / 10 having prices up to 80% higher than other DCs!

Quote Originally Posted by riquelme
    It can't be that they have 10 / 10 having prices up to 80% higher than other DCs!
    Care to provide an example? Their pricing seems fine to me.

80% higher than what dc? Pricing is reasonable.