Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    we must all of us leave VARHosting NOW as soon as possible Really Control get out of RICK HANDS
      0 Not allowed!

what kind of update is that

UPDATED 8:03 PM PST / December 20, 2006

**Please note, we're still doing some
    server hardening on .26 so the server
    is currently unreachable.
    We are also working on the /home
    mount partition which is having some issues as
    well. Once this issue has been resolved all
    services will come back online. What we're
    working to do is:
    1. Backup the /home partition (currently 500GB in size)

2. In order to backup the home partition onto a
    separate server we're waiting for the datacenter technicians
    to setup a separate box to migrate the data too.
    Once this has been done we will migrate the data
    and perform an FSCK on the /home partition which
    will fix all issues that have been effecting the server
    recently as well as a week or so ago.
    We can't go ahead and FSCK the /home partition
    without backing up the data first since sometimes the
    FSCK can result in direct data loss which we don't want
    to risk.

Please note we're all aware of how this
    down time has effected your sites and are
    working non stop to get services back up and
    functioning.

Once it comes back online some of the high cpu
    loads you guys have been seeing will be fixed,
    as well as the server will be much more reliable.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm911
    what kind of update is that

UPDATED 8:03 PM PST / December 20, 2006

**Please note, we're still doing some
    server hardening on .26 so the server
    is currently unreachable.
    We are also working on the /home
    mount partition which is having some issues as
    well. Once this issue has been resolved all
    services will come back online. What we're
    working to do is:
    1. Backup the /home partition (currently 500GB in size)

We can't go ahead and FSCK the /home partition
    without backing up the data first since sometimes the
    FSCK can result in direct data loss which we don't want
    to risk.

Please note we're all aware of how this
    down time has effected your sites and are
    working non stop to get services back up and
    functioning.

Once it comes back online some of the high cpu
    loads you guys have been seeing will be fixed,
    as well as the server will be much more reliable.
    It's an inconvenience. It happens with servers. Hardware is very unpredictable at most. Sometimes even "new" hardware can fail or be just dead. That's why companys have Dead On Arrival policies when you buy hardware.

While I can see why everyone's stressing, I can also see that hardware isn't the best (just from having to deal with it day in and day out at my SEPERATE job.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CEngine
    It's an inconvenience. It happens with servers. Hardware is very unpredictable at most. Sometimes even "new" hardware can fail or be just dead. That's why companys have Dead On Arrival policies when you buy hardware.

While I can see why everyone's stressing, I can also see that hardware isn't the best (just from having to deal with it day in and day out at my SEPERATE job.
    So whats the migration to this new hardware for if it isn't reliable? Or are you talking about the old stuff that is moving off of?
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>
      0 Not allowed!

I had a couple of sites on node 107 and cant get a response to any questions asked. Who does one speak to? Is there any point in pursuing it?
    CEngine would appreciate some feedback. I have let things ride hoping they will come right. Would like to know if node 107 is on the radar or whether I should cut my losses.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rainchild
    CEngine would appreciate some feedback. I have let things ride hoping they will come right. Would like to know if node 107 is on the radar or whether I should cut my losses.
    The best I can do is to ask Rick for information pretaining to where node 107 is going, because things change so often over-night due to problems from the previous, that I never get information needed. I will get the information for you and get back to you as soon as I possibly can.

HostFrog, I was refering to the old. (And the fact with the mount of /home not loading correctly on one of the new servers (fixed now))

I was basically saying, hardware is never perfect. Even some delivered straight from the assembly line (hard drives, CPU's, Video Cards) can be Dead On Arrival. So problems do happen. But as for the servers VARHosting clients were on.. I would like to puke, or go blind, with all the problems those had.
      0 Not allowed!

I will get the information for you and get back to you as soon as I possibly can.
    Would appreciate it. Cheers.
      0 Not allowed!

I want my new passwords now. I emailed Rick twice about getting my new passwords and I still haven't heard from the guy yet. Where is he?

And all my sites seems to be down... what's going on?

I'm on node101
      0 Not allowed!

Of course, all that can take well over 24 hours.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lordg
    I want my new passwords now. I emailed Rick twice about getting my new passwords and I still haven't heard from the guy yet. Where is he?

And all my sites seems to be down... what's going on?

I'm on node101
    Well.. You're more than welcome to actually use the support trio. That's what it's there for.

In case you didn't know, Node 101 is now merged with node 900

You'll need your nameservers to be

ns900.jump-server.net > 72.18.146.27
    ns901.jump-server.net > 72.18.146.28

As I'm most possibly sure that would resolve your issue considering the fact you're still using the old node's name.
      0 Not allowed!

I don't understand this fully occured. I thought the servers have migrated last 3-4 weeks ago where I read another longest Var thread. Shouldn't it be done migrated within a week? To all the var, sorry about what happened. I suggest find another host asap, you don't want your sites down. I don't get why you stay with them longer when they had to migrate server and some issues. (Probably stuck with backup needed?).

Jen
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBOLIS
    I don't understand this fully occured. I thought the servers have migrated last 3-4 weeks ago where I read another longest Var thread. Shouldn't it be done migrated within a week? To all the var, sorry about what happened. I suggest find another host asap, you don't want your sites down. I don't get why you stay with them longer when they had to migrate server and some issues. (Probably stuck with backup needed?).

Jen
    If you don't understand, I suggest reading this whole thread, instead of a couple pot-luck posts.

The old hardware was decrepit, near deceased, constantly vomiting from the mouth.

You CANNOT take data, from a failing server, and expect the data to be perfect 100%, it just cannot happen. Almost ALL of VAR's servers were like this. Over a period of time.. When you can only take so many accounts off at a time, you still have to take time to tweak the server for performance. Then we get into specifics with hard drive problems on the NEW node (which can occur, it's easy to understand that when you build pc's and have to go through this day in and day out to know 1 out of 10 or 20 or so may be dead on arrival).. Hardware isn't always perfect.

There's alot that went into it. Also with lack of communication and lack of ability to access the servers between staff (due to not having root passwords, and not having access to Rick like support staff NEED to have in order to do what they need to do and update clients constant questions for status).

It can trickle more and more.. But, hoping it's going to stop trickling, and beginning to dry up.
      0 Not allowed!

I know CEngine, you feel obligated to Rick and even have some level of sympathy towards him and this huge undertaking with VAR hosting - though I will say that as the owner of the company he should be more readily available and trust his level 3 techs with root. I mean - basically when Rick is not around - VAR is running on level 1 and 2 and has been doing so for awhile now.

Rick should have understood the magnitude of issues that would go into rescuing VAR hosting and disappearing during the first several months like this periodically is simply unacceptable. To me - it shows his lack of dedication, interest, and commitment to his clients that have stuck through this thus far.

I give you props for taking the heat and trying to do what you can to keep current clients happy and the forum members answered here at WHT. Honestly - this should be Rick's job but then again - from what I see and have read - I am beginning to think Rick doesn't fee like he has an actual job.

I don't mean this to sound harsh - but I am going off what I have read here and irresponsibility shown on his part. In his defense - it was a huge undertaking and I hope he will come back to clear somethings up.

I am not one to dog a company but I would have to say that VAR clients should throw the towel in and move on. If during a crisis moment like this - the owner can not be found - then the company is not stable enough to trust your information with. For the clients that do have access to their sites, I would begin backing them up and looking to move on. This all could happen to you soon.

0 Not allowed!

Figure CEngine is a reliable barometer of where things are going. This is going to be an interesting one to follow.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rainchild
    Figure CEngine is a reliable barometer of where things are going. This is going to be an interesting one to follow.
    Sorry, but is that suppose to be a good thing or a bad thing?
      0 Not allowed!

If you go quiet we will know the ship has gone down. Until then, no matter how bleak, its still a salvage operation and one hopes that someone who knows what they are doing will take over from Rick.
      0 Not allowed!

i called them and canacel my account with them
    all of us must do that with them with no mercy Really they are very bad company
      0 Not allowed!

Wow, sounds like a big mess for VARhosting and their clients.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Storm911
    i called them and canacel my account with them
    all of us must do that with them with no mercy Really they are very bad company
    Canceled 10 days ago... even as they lost some of my domains i didn't wait longer... as i can see now nothing is changed to better...
      0 Not allowed!

down again for at least 2 days now.
    cancelling, I've had enough. I've heard no response to my tickets or emails. Now I just have to find someone new to move to.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jmweb
    Wow, sounds like a big mess for VARhosting and their clients.
    Just goes to show how reliant on humans the hosting business is. There's network, hardware and software technologies, but there's also a huge human componant, and if this breaks down, so does the business. One person can make or break a hosting company, and it's usually the owner of the business.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Just goes to show how reliant on humans the hosting business is. There's network, hardware and software technologies, but there's also a huge human componant, and if this breaks down, so does the business. One person can make or break a hosting company, and it's usually the owner of the business.
    Especially in hosting since theres a lot of 1 man shows.

Do you know where the original VARhosting sold thread is? It'd be an interesting read to see what finally coined Roj's future.
      0 Not allowed!

If you go quiet we will know the ship has gone down. Until then, no matter how bleak, its still a salvage operation and one hopes that someone who knows what they are doing will take over from Rick.
    Have had a look for that original "Sold" thread but there is a lot to wade through. What other services do Roj and Rick offer to an unsuspecting and gullible public?
      0 Not allowed!

did any body check their website

i think that there is no update the .26 server is still down from 12-20-2006 till today 12-31-2006

i think that they must say it direct and say we are hot we web hosting provider any more
      0 Not allowed!

The sad story of a big webhosting company

I had some of my domains hosted in their servers some months before. I am not with them anymore.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast