Thread: Who uses Elance

Who uses Elance

Does anyone in here use Elance. What are some of the pros and cons to using this service, and are there better services such as this.

I've used them in the past; in fact was one of their original beta users. Don't really like what it's become. It's very expensive to use, and you take a big gamble by dropping so much cash and risking getting a 0 return. Especially if there are a lot of "experienced" bidders. It can take time to be profitable, but I suppose at the end of the day its a decent way to potentially, and I do stress potentially bring in some new business.

I've looked at Elance and bid on Guru. I can't make any money competing against the low-ballers and off shore bidders. Bids are so low it's not worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno
    I've looked at Elance and bid on Guru. I can't make any money competing against the low-ballers and off shore bidders. Bids are so low it's not worth my time.
    Yes you are correct .

is there any good alternative to this site? We are doing a project and require a good php/ajax programmer, not offshore, without spending an arm and a leg

Quote Originally Posted by AvailNetworks
    is there any good alternative to this site? We are doing a project and require a good php/ajax programmer, not offshore, without spending an arm and a leg
    Here's a site I used before - http://getafreelancer.com/

Though I was a "provider".
    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin56
    Does anyone in here use Elance. What are some of the pros and cons to using this service, and are there better services such as this.
    Do you want to provide a service or get a service?

I've used it to get a service... works great. Make sure you don't pay until the work is completed though (not even partial payment). There are a lot of people who bid, but then can't do the job... if you pay upfront, that money is gone. I'm currently working with two people on elance.

I also use rentacoder.com.... have one project there... on RAC you don't have to worry about much since the money is held until the project is complete... but be sure to put a "poison pill" against coders who can't complete the job. Basically, a poison pill states that the coder will pay all fees if project not completed.

I’ve found some of the best coders in the “middle range” of a bid. Although, going cheap with a newbie can land some great work since the coder simply wants to do some work to get his or her name out there. I’ve also found some great freelancers that cut rates in order to get extra money during downtime.

I’ve used elance since 2002/3 and rentacoder since Apr/May 2006. I’ve recently found better deals on rentacoder since elance is starting to increase rates for coders, and the coders pass the increase directly to those needing services. But that also forces the “lame” coders to go elsewhere and good coders to hang out on elance….

For one big project earlier this year, I paid premium on elance, but got premium work... on RAC earlier this year, I paid crap but got a fairly good deal on a project... it all depends on what you need done and the quality you are willing to accept.
    Last edited by hekwu; 12-21-2006 at 01:37 AM.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

eLance is a bit expensive, but maybe you'll find better writers / designers there.
    I use Rentacoder for many years now, but for coding works. Got some articles there, and no complaints from some of them.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!