Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1

    Problem with client..I want you to decide!

    Okay. While I was sleeping server goes down. Admin noted that it was due to Exim (Mail). He then checked logs for the days before until that time. We see this:

    2006-12-17 04:03:01 1GvsrF-0002lq-Of <= [email protected] U=gangster P=local S=920

    2006-12-17 04:03:01 1GvsrF-0002lp-Oc <= [email protected] U=gangster P=local S=924

    2006-12-17 04:03:01 1GvsrF-0002lu-Pm <= [email protected] U=gangster P=local S=1400

    2006-12-17 04:03:01 1GvsrF-0002lx-Q8 <= [email protected] U=gangster P=local S=1437

    And lots of the same things!
    Then the admin checked it out more and saw that just before that there was a queue of e-mails from that account. So I suspend their account and contact them. Explain what's happend, show them the full log, told them that they also have lots of crons and that crons might be the result of it and following our TOS demanded a Network Disturbance Fine ($25). They start saying things like
    'Prove I sent those'
    'That is not proff'
    'What's the cause' after saying it was most probably crons, facts are you sent them.
    'but I didn't do anything'
    .etc.etc
    Basicly denying it and trying to make me angry and then say oh..what excellent support...

    Then they start saying the log will be published to the public .etc
    Then they demand a backup of cpanel and access to cpanel. I explained we would need the fine first to re-activate your account. Then they start saying again prove it .etc after showing them TOS

    "14. Network disruptions and unfriendly activity: Use of the service for any activity which affects the ability of other people or systems to use our Services or the Internet. This includes "denial of service" (DOS) attacks against another network host or individual user. Interference with or disruption of other network users, services or equipment is prohibited. If your account is the cause of a CPU overloaded, you will be suspended and charged a 25$ fee to re-activate your account. It is the Member's responsibility to ensure that their network is configured in a secure manner. A Subscriber may not, through action or inaction, allow others to use their network for illegal or inappropriate actions. A Subscriber may not permit their network, through action or inaction, to be configured in such a way that gives a third party the capability to use their network in an illegal or inappropriate manner. Unauthorized entry and/or use of another company and/or individual's computer system will result in immediate account termination. We will not tolerate any subscriber attempting to access the accounts of others, or penetrate security measures of other systems, whether or not the intrusion results in corruption or loss of data. "

    After reading that they still deny it .etc.etc
    So I said to them "I am ending this conversation now as this is going no where and will be contacting my lawyer in the morning" I also advise them that if you have such resource intensive sites (10% RAM usage) you should get a dedicated and they started saying that's bs.etc

    So..please say what you think and if I was correct what I done .etc

    www.wattproxy.info


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    137
    Is this client valuable to you?
    If not, then remove his account if he/she does not pay.

    Donít waist your time with this foolishness, you have a business to run.
    You have your evidence you know it came from his account, there is nothing more to be said.

    Cheers!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    654
    Even if the server didn't crash because of him (which it probably did, according to your admin) do you really want him on there with all the cron jobs and out going mail?

    Did you get a look at the mails? What was it spewing?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,854
    Sooner or later, you will get more and more of such customers. First you need to encourage customers to always keep scripts updated etc..

    Secondly, you need to make sure that they understand these things...

    What we do..
    1st offence : Written warning. We emphasize what happens if it happens again and the fines they'll need to pay..

    2nd offence: We charge $2 per email. If they pay, we re-activate the account, if not, we terminate the account....
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

  5. #5
    I agree with the client. If what you showed him/her was what you showed us, you haven't shown anything near a violation of your terms. You've just shown that some number of mails were sent from his address. The ability to send mail is normally part of a hosting plan.

    If you know the contents of the messages are unsolicited bulk e-mail (as you received spam complaints), or have some evidence something malicious is going on, that's different. But you haven't shown anything like that.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    I agree with the client. If what you showed him/her was what you showed us, you haven't shown anything near a violation of your terms. You've just shown that some number of mails were sent from his address. The ability to send mail is normally part of a hosting plan.

    If you know the contents of the messages are unsolicited bulk e-mail (as you received spam complaints), or have some evidence something malicious is going on, that's different. But you haven't shown anything like that.
    That is around 1/100,000,000 I have showed you..I didn't want to spam up WHT...just check out how often that mails are..
    I don't think any host would allow a client to send e-mails every second to themselves which causes exim to 'overload'.

    2006-12-17 04:36:01 1GvtNB-0008Mg-BD <= [email protected] U=gangster P=local S=924
    2006-12-17 04:36:01 1GvtNB-0008MP-7n <= [email protected] U=gangster P=local S=920
    2006-12-17 04:36:01 1GvtNB-0008Mk-Cm <= [email protected] U=gangster P=local S=1400
    2006-12-17 04:36:02 1GvtNB-0008N1-LP <= [email protected] U=gangster P=local S=1437

    Just randomly picking out bits..But it's a funny coincidence..They have 4 crons that run every minute and it's in blocks of 4 you get those messages..

    www.wattproxy.info


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman
    Just randomly picking out bits..But it's a funny coincidence..They have 4 crons that run every minute and it's in blocks of 4 you get those messages..
    Four mails a minute isn't much... definitely not something that would crash a mail server. Is there something I'm missing?
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

  8. #8
    but for some reason the mails vary..most are every second..but then they have a pause of 2 - 3 minutes and it continues ...

    www.wattproxy.info


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Castle Pines, CO
    Posts
    7,189
    It sounds like you don't want to deal with the customer any longer? There are people out there that you just cannot make happy, no matter what you try or do.

    I would not have though told them they would be hearing from an attorney. (Unless in fact you were going to do that.) Most of the times - that is just an empty threat.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    958
    4 mails in blocks of 4 = 16 mail per minute. 960 messages per hour.

    I would suggest following the above replies. Written warning, charge.
    Kdoubt.net - Gameing discussion, arcade, all around good fun

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    It sounds like you don't want to deal with the customer any longer? There are people out there that you just cannot make happy, no matter what you try or do.

    I would not have though told them they would be hearing from an attorney. (Unless in fact you were going to do that.) Most of the times - that is just an empty threat.
    This was after 2 days of arguing and showing evidence and demanding fine I said well, if your still going to accuse of not proving anything I will phone my lawyer up...
    as honestly, i wouldn't expect a client to keep arguing for 2 days..
    and then they started saying I have tried to be patient with you .etc like I haven't

    www.wattproxy.info


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman
    If your account is the cause of a CPU overloaded, you will be suspended and charged a 25$ fee to re-activate your account.
    First, you can't charge him anything because there is no such thing as 25$. It's $25.

    Second, it's etc. not .etc

    You're sure spending a lot of time over $25. They're not going to pay you, and you're not going to contact your lawyer. Get over it, send them their backup, and move on.

  13. #13
    If I were the client, and you proved your case the way you proved it here, I'd consider you the one trying to breach the contract. If this is the company in your signature... your site is down. Gonna meet your uptime guarantee this month?
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    First, you can't charge him anything because there is no such thing as 25$. It's $25.

    Second, it's etc. not .etc

    You're sure spending a lot of time over $25. They're not going to pay you, and you're not going to contact your lawyer. Get over it, send them their backup, and move on.
    Well, I did try getting over with it but the next day they kept saying 'Prove it' as before. After showing them proof they sent x amont of e-mails.
    Also, why wouldn't I contact my lawyer? I pay him for the whole year, unlimited..not unlimited but you know what I mean.

    www.wattproxy.info


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    647
    Hi,

    I had a client like that today funnily enough, just terminated the account, reseller then threatens to kill me, so i terminated that too . Just ignore them, they can't do anything, they're the ones in the wrong

    Dan
    █ Tech-Hosts
    https://www.tech-hosts.co.uk
    █ UK Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS & Dedicated Servers

  16. #16
    Greetings!

    I would go with the idea of warning first. Explain fully the reason for the warning.
    Be clear on the things you don't want them to do. Help them how to prevent it from happening if possible.

    Give them time to implement your request. Then, if the same thing happens again, implement the charge. Be sure it is on your TOS and the client has legally agreed with the TOS.

    If the client does not pay the charge, then terminate the account. You may be kind enough to supply the backup as most host do.

    We wish you well.

    I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

  17. #17
    Another funny thing is the domain in repoman's signature and the email domain he is complaining about are the same.. :-)

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdoubt
    4 mails in blocks of 4 = 16 mail per minute. 960 messages per hour.

    I would suggest following the above replies. Written warning, charge.
    Do you suggest this policy be displayed clearly in a TOS? Or just to offenders when you give them the first warning?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    If the client is being a pain about things, then, yes, remove the client, end of story.
    If the client is sending out 1-3 mails a second, then clearly they're overworking something, and they need to be moved to a dedicated server, not a shared one.

    They can threaten legal action all they want, at the end of the day as long as you have something in your TOS about overuse, then they're SOL.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by notroot
    Another funny thing is the domain in repoman's signature and the email domain he is complaining about are the same.. :-)
    lol..I actually did laugh after reading that..
    that's because it's a user at a host name which is mine because I own the server?!

    www.wattproxy.info


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    271
    Yes. Definitely send a warning (which you already have). Give the client a moment to take some action and remove the above said crons or whatever it is that's causing the problem.

    If he/she doesn't take any action, THEN, terminate the account but don't forget to make a backup of it. ALWAYS provide a backup.

    - Zee
    ░▒▓ STOP!
    ░▒▓
    ░▒▓ DO NOT Host with DoNotHosting!!!
    ░▒▓
    RULES, LIMITS, and MORE rules.

  22. #22

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Top Secret
    Posts
    11,687
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

  24. #24
    Ah Repoman!

    As they say; a story had two sides.

    Since you have taken this public, in fact also discussed this issue with at least two other clients of yours, the last statement in the chat log below is moot.

    The facts are that "no changes" were made from the side of the party who was using Repoman's servers, except for a Paypal button, something hardly related to cron. As such I was the party who tried getting the cron and contents for analysis. While I never threatened legal action, I did say to Repoman I would have loved to get him in court for the reason shown below

    The reality is that I could sneeze out his $25.00. However, I tried being fair, offered to chat direct to him via Skype etc. However, I chose not to be blackmailed.

    Additionally, I looked extremely hard for his TOS. I even made snapshots of the screens. Njada. I eventually found it. I had to do a wget of his website and grep from where it is linked. The issue was that once you leave the first (index) page, you never return to it via the available links. The TOS was only a link on the first page, but not highlighted like his other links.(no underline or blue colur like other links). In fact he admits working on it, as well as other things like Spam Assassin, webpages etc. (The current design is not what was available at the time of this discussion.)

    I this whole matter I bent over backwards trying to be fair. The actual chat logs speak for themselves. Initially he tried bending my son (DS) over a barrel. You judge for yourself.


    2006/12/16 07:36:15 DS -> Repoman : Hi
    2006/12/16 07:36:23 DS -> Repoman : is siko hosting down?
    2006/12/16 07:36:26 DS -> Repoman : atm
    2006/12/16 07:36:31 Repoman -> DS : Yeah..
    2006/12/16 07:36:34 DS -> Repoman : ok
    2006/12/16 07:36:38 Repoman -> DS : Upgrades being done..
    2006/12/16 07:36:45 DS -> Repoman : ok kool
    2006/12/16 07:36:56 DS -> Repoman : if i may ask like what?
    2006/12/16 07:37:24 Repoman -> DS : RAM.
    2006/12/16 07:37:26 DS -> Repoman : ok
    2006/12/16 07:37:32 DS -> Repoman : that good...
    2006/12/16 07:37:40 DS -> Repoman : ok was just asking
    2006/12/16 07:37:42 DS -> Repoman : bye
    2006/12/16 07:37:42 Repoman -> DS : Yup..
    2006/12/16 07:37:46 Repoman -> DS : Bye.

    2006/12/16 08:53:53 DS -> Repoman : if thos is not to much when do you think the upgrades will be done?
    2006/12/16 08:56:37 Repoman -> DS : Like 10-20 min MAX
    2006/12/16 08:56:50 DS -> Repoman : ok thank you..

    2006/12/16 10:05:41 DS -> Repoman : thanx for the sites being up again..
    2006/12/16 10:05:43 DS -> Repoman : but..
    2006/12/16 10:05:46 DS -> Repoman : Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/gangster/public_html/mysql.php on line 2Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    2006/12/16 10:05:54 DS -> Repoman : do i need to change it again?
    2006/12/16 10:06:13 DS -> Repoman : i can login to cpanel with that user and pass though
    2006/12/16 10:06:16 DS -> Repoman : ??
    2006/12/16 10:06:40 Repoman -> DS : Nope..
    2006/12/16 10:06:42 Repoman -> DS : Don't worry..
    2006/12/16 10:06:45 DS -> Repoman : ok
    2006/12/16 10:06:48 Repoman -> DS : Basicly..
    2006/12/16 10:06:53 Repoman -> DS : The server well..
    2006/12/16 10:06:55 Repoman -> DS : It's going mad.
    2006/12/16 10:07:06 DS -> Repoman : lol
    2006/12/16 10:07:09 Repoman -> DS : Sinc mysql causes the most loads we have disabled it for the time being..
    2006/12/16 10:07:21 DS -> Repoman : ok
    2006/12/16 10:07:28 DS -> Repoman : for how long bout?
    2006/12/16 10:07:38 Repoman -> DS : Not sure yet..
    2006/12/16 10:07:46 DS -> Repoman : ok
    2006/12/16 10:07:58 DS -> Repoman : can you let me know maybe??
    2006/12/16 10:08:11 Repoman -> DS : 10 minutes maybe..
    2006/12/16 10:08:14 DS -> Repoman : ok
    2006/12/16 10:08:19 DS -> Repoman : thanx

    2006/12/18 02:29:25 DS -> Repoman : you there?
    2006/12/18 05:18:49 DS -> Repoman : hi
    2006/12/18 05:19:03 DS -> Repoman : are you still working on the sites?
    2006/12/18 07:32:30 Repoman -> DS : Hello.
    2006/12/18 07:32:32 Repoman -> DS : Are you gangster-territories?
    2006/12/18 07:38:13 Repoman -> DS : If you are
    2006/12/18 07:38:15 Repoman -> DS : Your accoutn has been suspended.
    2006/12/18 07:57:42 DS -> Repoman : why
    2006/12/18 08:00:23 Repoman -> DS : You are sending out 5000mails per day.
    2006/12/18 08:00:28 Repoman -> DS : And don't try and deny it.
    2006/12/18 08:00:38 Repoman -> DS : Your running a cron job doing that.
    2006/12/18 08:00:47 DS -> Repoman : :|
    2006/12/18 08:00:50 Repoman -> DS : You are now going to have to pay a network disturbance fee.
    2006/12/18 08:01:30 DS -> Repoman : im running 11 cron jobs
    2006/12/18 08:01:58 DS -> Repoman : can you please prove how i am sending so many emails?
    2006/12/18 08:02:10 DS -> Repoman : ??
    2006/12/18 08:02:26 DS -> Repoman : how much will it be anyways?
    2006/12/18 08:02:29 Repoman -> DS : Hold on a second.
    2006/12/18 08:02:34 Repoman -> DS : $25 if I am correct.
    2006/12/18 08:02:41 Repoman -> DS : Let me double check our TOS.
    2006/12/18 08:02:47 Repoman -> DS : One of the staff may have edited it
    2006/12/18 08:02:57 DS -> Repoman : I DID NOT send that many emails
    2006/12/18 08:03:10 Repoman -> DS : Every Day.
    2006/12/18 08:03:29 DS -> Repoman : can you please show me the logs
    2006/12/18 08:03:45 DS -> Repoman : i will send the monthly hosting fee
    2006/12/18 08:04:06 Repoman -> DS : 14. Network disruptions and unfriendly activity: Use of the service for any activity which affects the ability of other people or systems to use our Services or the Internet. This includes "denial of service" (DOS) attacks against another network host or individual user. Interference with or disruption of other network users, services or equipment is prohibited. If your account is the cause of a CPU overloaded, you will be suspended and charged a 25$ fee to re-activate your account.
    2006/12/18 08:04:06 Repoman -> DS : [22:07] PaPPaN: He has 5 crons which sends emails per minute..So that means 5 mails per minute...1 hour - 300 mails
    2006/12/18 08:04:09 Repoman -> DS : ^ My admin..
    2006/12/18 08:04:14 DS -> Repoman : but please show me where you got this thing that im sending so many mails a day
    2006/12/18 08:06:42 Repoman -> DS : From our logs e-mails are being sent to
    2006/12/18 08:06:43 Repoman -> DS : [email protected]
    2006/12/18 08:08:14 Repoman -> DS : Hold up..
    2006/12/18 08:08:19 Repoman -> DS : You have crons running every minute?
    2006/12/18 08:08:43 Repoman -> DS : Is that e-mail yours or not?
    2006/12/18 08:09:07 DS -> Repoman : Hi - this is a relation of Deathstar speaking now. He has asked my assistance.
    2006/12/18 08:09:20 Repoman -> DS : ?
    2006/12/18 08:09:31 DS -> Repoman : I would like to see what was in the crontab.
    2006/12/18 08:09:55 Repoman -> DS : You have several crons running every minute
    2006/12/18 08:10:01 Repoman -> DS : that send out emails at the same time.
    2006/12/18 08:10:40 DS -> Repoman : Also, since DS did add jobs to cron that will send mail, we are querying this. According to DS there was only a job to delete mails.
    2006/12/18 08:11:20 DS -> Repoman : * did not
    2006/12/18 08:11:27 Repoman -> DS : I am not talking about ingame mails.
    2006/12/18 08:11:37 Repoman -> DS : I am talking about electronic mails going to email adresses.
    2006/12/18 08:11:53 DS -> Repoman : The only job related to mails is one that will truncate a table. In seriousness guys, something fishy is up!
    2006/12/18 08:11:57 Repoman -> DS : In particular [email protected]
    2006/12/18 08:12:37 DS -> Repoman : Checking ....
    2006/12/18 08:12:40 Repoman -> DS : Well. Facts are your cpanel account name (gangster) is sending out 5000 e-mails each and every day of the year to [email protected]
    2006/12/18 08:12:53 Repoman -> DS : Is that your account or not?
    2006/12/18 08:13:17 DS -> Repoman : Yes - that is DS'es. As such we are checking.
    2006/12/18 08:13:48 Repoman -> DS : Most probably they are going to spam.
    2006/12/18 08:15:08 DS -> Repoman : Ok - there is *something* going on.
    2006/12/18 08:15:18 DS -> Repoman : DS is getting this.
    2006/12/18 08:15:30 DS -> Repoman : % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    2006/12/18 08:15:43 DS -> Repoman : 161 times to be exact.
    2006/12/18 08:16:56 DS -> Repoman : Any idea what thsi can be?
    2006/12/18 08:16:56 DS -> Repoman : {--} has been added to the conversation.
    2006/12/18 08:18:51 Repoman -> DS : ?
    2006/12/18 08:19:33 Repoman -> DS : Why are you trying to send me a picture of a Koi Pond?
    2006/12/18 08:19:48 DS -> Repoman : Incidentally, I am a member of various NGO's, numerous part of the ****. If he were to cause any net disturbance, you would not have a problem (smiley:wink)
    2006/12/18 08:20:39 DS -> Repoman : Koi pond? Urgh - I set the bg to something I can read - sorry !
    2006/12/18 08:21:31 Repoman -> DS : Want some proof?
    2006/12/18 08:21:43 Repoman -> DS : 2006-12-17 04:03:01 1GvsrF-0002lq-Of <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=920 2006-12-17 04:03:01 1GvsrF-0002lp-Oc <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=924 2006-12-17 04:03:01 1GvsrF-0002lu-Pm <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=1400 2006-12-17 04:03:01 1GvsrF-0002lx-Q8 <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=1437
    2006/12/18 08:21:55 Repoman -> DS : 2006-12-17 04:08:01 1Gvsw5-000398-K9 <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=920 2006-12-17 04:08:01 1Gvsw5-00039N-Pg <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=924
    2006/12/18 08:22:07 Repoman -> DS : 2006-12-17 04:08:01 1Gvsw5-000398-K9 <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=920 2006-12-17 04:08:01 1Gvsw5-00039N-Pg <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=924
    2006/12/18 08:22:19 Repoman -> DS : Just some parts of the log.
    2006/12/18 08:22:27 DS -> Repoman : Uhmm - I said DS received the following 161 times:
    2006/12/18 08:22:30 DS -> Repoman : % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    2006/12/18 08:22:38 Repoman -> DS : 2006-12-17 04:07:02 1Gvsv7-00035S-G9 => [email protected] R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [64.233.167.114] 2006-12-17 04:07:02 1Gvsv7-00035S-G9 Completed 2006-12-17 04:07:02 1Gvsv7-00035d-LI => [email protected] R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [64.233.167.27] 2006-12-17 04:07:02 1Gvsv7-00035d-LI Completed 2006-12-17 04:07:02 1Gvsv7-00035f-Lz => [email protected] R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [64.233.167.27]
    2006/12/18 08:22:50 Repoman -> DS : That's because not all are being delievered
    2006/12/18 08:23:07 DS -> Repoman : But what *is that*
    2006/12/18 08:23:25 Repoman -> DS : As I mostly probably google have put us on their spam list.
    2006/12/18 08:23:41 Repoman -> DS : and because of the massive queue for mails to be sent the server overloaded.
    2006/12/18 08:23:47 DS -> Repoman : Ok!!!!
    2006/12/18 08:23:55 DS -> Repoman : No listen and listen well:
    2006/12/18 08:24:09 DS -> Repoman : This was not malicious. If it was - proof it!
    2006/12/18 08:24:14 DS -> Repoman : *prove
    2006/12/18 08:24:25 DS -> Repoman : If not - read what I am saying please
    2006/12/18 08:25:27 Repoman -> DS : I am not saying it was malicious.
    2006/12/18 08:25:38 Repoman -> DS : I am saying that you have overloaded the sever which is network disturbance.
    2006/12/18 08:26:01 Repoman -> DS : If you took the time to read our TOS. You would see that we do not tolerate any network disturbance and such people are charged a fine.
    2006/12/18 08:27:01 Repoman -> DS : Now if your still going to try and tell me not to prove it (I have logs). I would happily take this to our lawyer and let him do whatever he needs to if your going to refuse to pay the fine.
    2006/12/18 08:27:09 DS -> Repoman : Okay - now let us start from the beginning:
    2006/12/18 08:27:17 Repoman -> DS : I have a log here.
    2006/12/18 08:27:26 DS -> Repoman : Can I have the crontab file for DS?
    2006/12/18 08:27:50 DS -> Repoman : Also, he has no idea of any task in cron that sends mail.
    2006/12/18 08:28:25 DS -> Repoman : As such we are querying *what* this is:
    2006/12/18 08:28:27 DS -> Repoman : % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    2006/12/18 08:28:30 Repoman -> DS : Well. Look I have logs of the username gangster which belongs to DS.
    2006/12/18 08:28:41 Repoman -> DS : Of sending mail.
    2006/12/18 08:28:54 DS -> Repoman : Am I arguing about that?
    2006/12/18 08:29:36 Repoman -> DS : But your still trying to say something along the lines of we don't do that.
    2006/12/18 08:29:48 Repoman -> DS : Firslty.
    2006/12/18 08:29:50 DS -> Repoman : Incidentally, why do you think sites like zone-h.org exist?
    2006/12/18 08:29:57 Repoman -> DS : May I ask..Has DS fully coded the site himself?
    2006/12/18 08:30:01 DS -> Repoman : Heard about hacking?
    2006/12/18 08:30:20 DS -> Repoman : Not that I am saying that is the case. At this stage all we are saying is:
    2006/12/18 08:30:32 DS -> Repoman : a) we did not add a cron job to send mail
    2006/12/18 08:30:44 DS -> Repoman : b) we accept mail was sent
    2006/12/18 08:30:54 DS -> Repoman : c) we would like to see why it did happen.
    2006/12/18 08:31:19 Repoman -> DS : b) we accept mail was sent well..as a consquence of that you caused network disturbance.
    2006/12/18 08:31:29 Repoman -> DS : c) we would like to see why it did happen.
    2006/12/18 08:31:34 DS -> Repoman : Not everything.
    2006/12/18 08:31:46 Repoman -> DS : I haven't built the site ...
    2006/12/18 08:31:54 Repoman -> DS : So how am I meant to know which part of your code does this.
    2006/12/18 08:31:59 Repoman -> DS : Let me ask you.
    2006/12/18 08:32:05 Repoman -> DS : Did DS build the site from scratch?
    2006/12/18 08:32:14 Repoman -> DS : Code it all himself completly?
    2006/12/18 08:32:23 DS -> Repoman : Do you have a tel nr? I will Skype you.
    2006/12/18 08:34:21 DS -> Repoman : "Code it all himself completly?"No. It was partially bought, partially developed by DS.
    2006/12/18 08:34:47 Repoman -> DS : Exactly.
    2006/12/18 08:34:56 Repoman -> DS : The partially bit of which was brought.
    2006/12/18 08:35:04 Repoman -> DS : he doesn't know it off by heart
    2006/12/18 08:35:31 Repoman -> DS : Somewhere in there there might be an item that makes a cron file send an e-mail to the adress specified in cPanel.
    2006/12/18 08:35:38 DS -> Repoman : Igor; why are you refusing to give the crontab?
    2006/12/18 08:37:01 Repoman -> DS : The problem is it the log file doesn't specify which cron is doing this.
    2006/12/18 08:37:08 Repoman -> DS : So I cannot give you the cron file in particular.
    2006/12/18 08:37:29 DS -> Repoman : The bought portion which has been in place for a while - np before.
    2006/12/18 08:37:50 DS -> Repoman : What platform is this?
    2006/12/18 08:38:01 Repoman -> DS : Linux.
    2006/12/18 08:38:18 DS -> Repoman : If it is DS's name, it should be DS'es cron.
    2006/12/18 08:38:31 Repoman -> DS : yes.
    2006/12/18 08:38:35 Repoman -> DS : But he has more then one.
    2006/12/18 08:39:18 Repoman -> DS : 2006-12-17 21:20:02 1Gw92o-00087T-6o <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=999 2006-12-17 21:20:03 1Gw92o-00087e-HQ <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=924 2006-12-17 21:20:03 1Gw92o-00087h-HT <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=996 2006-12-17 21:20:03 1Gw92o-00087q-QZ <= gangster-AT-nemo.sikohosting.co.uk U=gangster P=local S=1437 v
    2006/12/18 08:39:27 Repoman -> DS : Every other e-mail is DS's.
    2006/12/18 08:40:17 Repoman -> DS : Ask DS if he knows ****** the game that USED to exist?
    2006/12/18 08:40:30 DS -> Repoman : So why not dump all the crons?
    2006/12/18 08:41:10 DS -> Repoman : DS helped develop this.
    2006/12/18 08:41:21 Repoman -> DS : Want a fact
    2006/12/18 08:41:29 Repoman -> DS : The other 5000 emails a day is ****** aswell.
    2006/12/18 08:41:56 Repoman -> DS : ****** and ****** are both the 'abusers' Mainly GT though.
    2006/12/18 08:42:11 Repoman -> DS : So you both are using same code = meaning it's not hacked.
    2006/12/18 08:42:53 DS -> Repoman : Okay. That still does not explain the mails were sent.
    2006/12/18 08:43:21 DS -> Repoman : For heavens sake!!! Same code = same bugs.
    2006/12/18 08:43:40 DS -> Repoman : You know the crap that has been happening of late!
    2006/12/18 08:43:49 DS -> Repoman : In fact I copied you.
    2006/12/18 08:44:04 DS -> Repoman : We traced one perpetrator to Duffryn High.
    2006/12/18 08:44:23 Repoman -> DS : In fact I copied you.
    2006/12/18 08:44:24 Repoman -> DS : ??
    2006/12/18 08:44:24 DS -> Repoman : You were not as verbose then. Then it was cool for your servers to be abused.
    2006/12/18 08:45:20 DS -> Repoman : Egor, if we have to put our cards on the table:
    2006/12/18 08:45:44 DS -> Repoman : DS is my son. I have been in *ix for 27 years. I deal with bank security etc.
    2006/12/18 08:46:04 DS -> Repoman : You are now totally focussed on the result, not the problem.
    2006/12/18 08:46:25 DS -> Repoman : I have investigated so many incidents of hacking, I can not even count.
    2006/12/18 08:46:27 Repoman -> DS : Because you cannot run away from the result.
    2006/12/18 08:46:48 DS -> Repoman : I have helped many people resolve issues. Currently your attitude is not helping.
    2006/12/18 08:47:05 DS -> Repoman : Result ... of what?
    2006/12/18 08:47:20 DS -> Repoman : Can you say that. If not thing about what I am saying.
    2006/12/18 08:47:34 DS -> Repoman : *think
    2006/12/18 08:48:12 DS -> Repoman : Egor, how many years have you been at this?
    2006/12/18 09:12:27 DS -> Repoman : Hi Repoman ...
    2006/12/18 09:12:43 Repoman -> DS : Hello.
    2006/12/18 09:12:54 DS -> Repoman : Sorry, electrical storm here. ISP wen toffline.
    2006/12/18 09:12:59 DS -> Repoman : *wnt
    2006/12/18 09:13:09 DS -> Repoman : *went
    2006/12/18 09:13:20 Repoman -> DS : Ahh..Okay.
    2006/12/18 09:13:59 DS -> Repoman : Egor, what I am trying to establish is *why* so may mails were sent.
    2006/12/18 09:14:19 DS -> Repoman : What does not make sense is that the mails started yesterday.
    2006/12/18 09:14:19 Repoman -> DS : Because of your code.
    2006/12/18 09:14:41 DS -> Repoman : Where in the code. Do you know that for a fact?
    2006/12/18 09:18:29 DS -> Repoman : Hi Repoman ...
    2006/12/18 09:19:01 Repoman -> DS : Look the facts are your account sent them.
    2006/12/18 09:19:17 Repoman -> DS : The only way to fix it is to manually code the crons themselves and not buy them
    2006/12/18 09:19:43 DS -> Repoman : So what you are saying is you do not know this for a fact. Yet you are now crucifying somebody for something you do not know for sure.
    2006/12/18 09:20:41 DS -> Repoman : You are not willing to give me an opprtunity to look at this. Could you please zip up the content and mail it to DS'es box?
    2006/12/18 09:21:22 Repoman -> DS : I know for sure
    2006/12/18 09:21:28 Repoman -> DS : And I have proof from mail logs.
    2006/12/18 09:21:33 Repoman -> DS : This is all I need to know.
    2006/12/18 09:21:39 DS -> Repoman : Ok - where is it?
    2006/12/18 09:21:54 Repoman -> DS : *** URL **~filetran/exim_mainlog
    2006/12/18 09:22:05 Repoman -> DS : *****is also another one doing the same thing.
    2006/12/18 09:22:17 Repoman -> DS : I haven't spoken to the owner yet.
    2006/12/18 09:22:23 DS -> Repoman : I aks again: Could you zip the content and mail it?
    2006/12/18 09:22:43 Repoman -> DS : Zip what content?
    2006/12/18 09:22:44 DS -> Repoman : *ask
    2006/12/18 09:23:10 DS -> Repoman : Of the website. Since I cannot acces it, I cannot check it.
    2006/12/18 09:23:41 Repoman -> DS : Don't you have the files on your hard drive though?
    2006/12/18 09:24:56 DS -> Repoman : Not up to date for the last48 hrs. This problem started since then, while the only change made was a donation button script.
    2006/12/18 09:25:19 DS -> Repoman : Hardly something that could cause this.
    2006/12/18 09:26:15 Repoman -> DS : You see the problem is the downtime before.
    2006/12/18 09:26:27 Repoman -> DS : it was looked into briefly..not like this issue.
    2006/12/18 09:26:49 Repoman -> DS : As before the server was down for short periods of time ...this one was long and as all cases were similar we looked into it.
    2006/12/18 09:27:15 DS -> Repoman : What happened yesterday? Why would thing changes since then?
    2006/12/18 09:28:18 DS -> Repoman : Soeey, I am not following your last message. ??
    2006/12/18 09:28:26 DS -> Repoman : *Sorry
    2006/12/18 09:34:47 Repoman -> DS : Hello?
    2006/12/18 09:35:05 DS -> Repoman : Hi - Line glitch
    2006/12/18 09:35:21 Repoman -> DS : Oh..Right..
    2006/12/18 09:35:27 Repoman -> DS : Okay as I was saying...As DS might have told you this isn't the first time the past 2 months the server has been down..
    2006/12/18 09:35:48 Repoman -> DS : Before when it was down..no client's were lost and it was for short period's of time..
    2006/12/18 09:35:55 Repoman -> DS : They were looked into briefly..
    2006/12/18 09:36:23 Repoman -> DS : What I am trying to say that it COULD of been the cause before..I am saying could as I have no evidence.
    2006/12/18 09:36:29 Repoman -> DS : But this time it was your site 100%
    2006/12/18 09:38:04 DS -> Repoman : Okay - accepted for now. Let us examine the 5 x w's: Who, what, where, when, why.
    2006/12/18 09:38:37 Repoman -> DS : When..early morning
    2006/12/18 09:38:44 Repoman -> DS : where : houston,texas, usa
    2006/12/18 09:38:44 DS -> Repoman : We know what happened and when. It does leave a lot of questions to be answered though. This is what I am trying to do.
    2006/12/18 09:38:48 Repoman -> DS : why: cron jobs.
    2006/12/18 09:39:09 Repoman -> DS : what: gangster username (yoursite) overloaded the server with exim(mail).
    2006/12/18 09:39:11 Repoman -> DS : Who: you.
    2006/12/18 09:39:47 DS -> Repoman : Me? :lol:
    2006/12/18 09:40:00 Repoman -> DS : Sorry...DS>
    2006/12/18 09:40:34 DS -> Repoman : Egor, I am trying extremely hard to stay neutral here.
    2006/12/18 09:41:19 DS -> Repoman : Fact is, previous times DS did not receive any mails.
    2006/12/18 09:41:53 DS -> Repoman : So, the previous time .... ??? SOrry, can not accept responsibility.
    2006/12/18 09:42:25 Repoman -> DS : I wasn't blaming you for it..
    2006/12/18 09:42:35 Repoman -> DS : I was saying it COULD be DB's site..
    2006/12/18 09:42:38 Repoman -> DS : But it might of not.
    2006/12/18 09:43:35 DS -> Repoman : Okay - accepted. Egor, I deal with hosters and registrars on a daily basis. While I do accept you have a difficult job, I would like to really see why this happened.
    2006/12/18 09:43:49 DS -> Repoman : ... and I am *not* going to be biased.
    2006/12/18 09:44:00 DS -> Repoman : *hosters
    2006/12/18 09:44:30 DS -> Repoman : As such I would really love to have access to the code and crontabs. Also anacron if it is used.
    2006/12/18 09:44:55 DS -> Repoman : Bear with me for a sec:
    2006/12/18 09:45:36 DS -> Repoman : What I find strange is that it start yesterday. Yet DS did not make any change except for a donation button.
    2006/12/18 09:45:56 DS -> Repoman : So something is not right.
    2006/12/18 09:46:08 DS -> Repoman : *started
    2006/12/18 09:46:51 Repoman -> DS : Because..
    2006/12/18 09:46:55 Repoman -> DS : If I am not wrong...
    2006/12/18 09:47:25 Repoman -> DS : The e-mail displayed in Cron tabs(the one you enter)..gets an e-mail if a cron fails...
    2006/12/18 09:48:31 DS -> Repoman : Sure. Yet the message DS got shows a bandwith type message
    2006/12/18 09:48:42 Repoman -> DS : ^ Correct me if I am wrong on that one..
    2006/12/18 09:49:11 DS -> Repoman : No - that is what cron does.
    2006/12/18 09:53:33 DS -> Repoman : Repoman - are you there:
    2006/12/18 09:53:42 Repoman -> DS : Yes..
    2006/12/18 09:53:59 DS -> Repoman : Okay - I have part o fthe problem. An error message:
    2006/12/18 09:54:05 DS -> Repoman : % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed100 344 0 344 0 0 1193 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 1193100 344 0 344 0 0 1192 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0- Hide quoted text -<br /><b>Warning</b>: mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in <b>/home/gangster/public_html/crons/mysql.php</b> on line <b>2</b><br />Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    2006/12/18 09:54:15 Repoman -> DS : Yup..
    2006/12/18 09:54:22 Repoman -> DS : Mysql was disabled not long ago..
    2006/12/18 09:54:31 Repoman -> DS : As we wanted to sort an issue out fast..
    2006/12/18 09:54:56 DS -> Repoman : In fact that generated the error.
    2006/12/18 09:55:28 Repoman -> DS : But not all your e-mails are like that.
    2006/12/18 09:55:36 DS -> Repoman : Ok - so this is a chicken & egg situation :?
    2006/12/18 09:55:46 DS -> Repoman : What was first...
    2006/12/18 09:56:13 Repoman -> DS : Egg
    2006/12/18 09:56:34 Repoman -> DS : From the egg that chicken was born
    2006/12/18 09:56:58 DS -> Repoman : Who laid the egg?
    2006/12/18 09:57:20 DS -> Repoman : Sorry - joke: Somebody actually wrote a thesis on that one.
    2006/12/18 09:59:46 DS -> Repoman : Ok - where do we go from here?
    2006/12/18 10:00:04 DS -> Repoman : I would *really* liek to have a look at the crons and code.
    2006/12/18 10:00:17 DS -> Repoman : *liek
    2006/12/18 10:00:21 DS -> Repoman : *like
    2006/12/18 01:42:57 Repoman -> DS : Hello.
    2006/12/18 01:42:57 Repoman -> DS : Anyway..
    2006/12/18 01:43:02 Repoman -> DS : We need that network disturbance fine.
    2006/12/18 02:15:10 DS -> Repoman : Hi Egor. I asked you for some info? The code and crons. Why can you not submit that?
    2006/12/18 02:19:22 DS -> Repoman : Repoman - are you there?
    2006/12/18 09:30:55 Repoman -> DS : Hello,
    2006/12/18 09:37:05 DS -> Repoman : Hi
    2006/12/18 09:38:55 Repoman -> DS : We still need that network disturbance fee of you.
    2006/12/18 09:53:18 DS -> Repoman : Hi Egor
    2006/12/18 09:53:36 DS -> Repoman : We still need that code and crons!
    2006/12/18 09:53:58 Repoman -> DS : What do you want from it?
    2006/12/18 09:54:36 DS -> Repoman : Since it will appear we are not getting past this point, all logs will be published on a website. Let the puiblic judge for themselves, also websmasters. Is this Ok?
    2006/12/18 09:54:52 Repoman -> DS : No.
    2006/12/18 09:54:58 Repoman -> DS : That is private information shared between us.
    2006/12/18 09:55:23 DS -> Repoman : As stated previously, how could something that was not changes by DS suddenly start spewing?
    2006/12/18 09:55:24 Repoman -> DS : If your account is the cause of a CPU overloaded, you will be suspended and charged a 25$ fee to re-activate your account
    2006/12/18 09:56:20 DS -> Repoman : Incidentally, I notice that the domain DS paid for, note, DS, is registered to your name! Do you consider this ethical?
    2006/12/18 09:56:35 Repoman -> DS : We register on behalf of the client.
    2006/12/18 09:56:38 DS -> Repoman : In fact I know it is widely frowned on in the ICANN community!
    2006/12/18 09:56:57 DS -> Repoman : So who does that domain dbelong to?
    2006/12/18 09:57:03 DS -> Repoman : *belong
    2006/12/18 09:57:07 Repoman -> DS : DS.
    2006/12/18 09:57:15 DS -> Repoman : Thank you.
    2006/12/18 09:57:19 Repoman -> DS : There are legal evidence of it belonging to him.
    2006/12/18 09:57:23 Repoman -> DS : On the billing system
    2006/12/18 09:58:25 DS -> Repoman : Okay Egor. Now back to basics: If we can have a look at the code and crons to detrmine where the error came from, we can decide why it would generate errors.
    2006/12/18 09:59:19 DS -> Repoman : Egor, I am not trying to fight with you. I appreciate your position. By the same token I am not going to acept an open account policy for anything that comes DS'es way. You have to appreciate this.
    2006/12/18 09:59:35 DS -> Repoman : Like I said before, I am trying extremely hard to be fair here.
    2006/12/18 09:59:38 Repoman -> DS : To get your files we need to re-activate your account. To re-activate your account we need to get that network disturbance fine.
    2006/12/18 10:00:52 DS -> Repoman : SO once the account is recativated, the "disturbance" continues, and we are back to square one? If something is wrong, it will still be wrong.
    2006/12/18 10:01:11 DS -> Repoman : As such there will be a spew.
    2006/12/18 10:01:31 DS -> Repoman : Is this "disturbance fee" comming from you or the upstream hoster?
    2006/12/18 10:01:34 Repoman -> DS : But when it's re-activated it won't straight away cause disturbance
    2006/12/18 10:01:50 Repoman -> DS : Us.
    2006/12/18 10:02:02 Repoman -> DS : We own our equipment 100%
    2006/12/18 10:02:47 Repoman -> DS : You have around 4 crons running every minute
    2006/12/18 10:03:03 Repoman -> DS : 3 running every 5 minutes.
    2006/12/18 10:03:09 Repoman -> DS : The one's every minute.
    2006/12/18 10:03:27 Repoman -> DS : That's on average every 15 seconds.
    2006/12/18 10:03:43 Repoman -> DS : By the time it is performed the other needs to be performed non-stop.
    2006/12/18 10:03:56 Repoman -> DS : 100% somewhere in that chain there are going to be errors.
    2006/12/18 10:04:25 Repoman -> DS : If you have such resource intensive sites I and many other webhosts would recommend you upgrade to a dedicated solution.
    2006/12/18 10:05:19 DS -> Repoman : SOrry Egor, but that is BS!
    2006/12/18 10:05:38 Repoman -> DS : Okay. Now why are you calling it 'bs'.
    2006/12/18 10:05:40 Repoman -> DS : That is a fact
    2006/12/18 10:06:11 Repoman -> DS : If you have resource intensive sites that cause network disturbance most if not all hosts would recommend you upgrade to a dedicated server.
    2006/12/18 10:06:35 DS -> Repoman : I *am* looking after the servers for various NGO's. These are prone to a much higher mail rate, running numerous MySQL DBs'es, PHP apps, Java apps etc
    2006/12/18 10:06:44 DS -> Repoman : 1 CPU and 1 GB of mem.
    2006/12/18 10:07:02 Repoman -> DS : Right...What cpu GHZ?
    2006/12/18 10:07:05 DS -> Repoman : I had a look on domaintools what is on that IP. Interesting
    2006/12/18 10:07:05 Repoman -> DS : How many sites?
    2006/12/18 10:07:26 Repoman -> DS : And are they running 4 crons every minute?
    2006/12/18 10:07:32 DS -> Repoman : Equivalent to what you are doing, round about 20.
    2006/12/18 10:07:43 Repoman -> DS : ?
    2006/12/18 10:07:50 DS -> Repoman : Most use SSL encryption to boot.
    2006/12/18 10:09:59 DS -> Repoman : Incidentally, why did the wheels only come off recently when no changes were made. Egor, *something* changed. DS did not changes it.
    2006/12/18 10:10:25 DS -> Repoman : Still you deny us the right to have a look for ourself. I question that.
    2006/12/18 10:10:34 DS -> Repoman : As such, please do me a favour.
    2006/12/18 10:10:36 Repoman -> DS : Look at what?
    2006/12/18 10:10:43 Repoman -> DS : I can give you screenshots of crons.
    2006/12/18 10:11:27 Repoman -> DS : I am denying you the right to cpanel access because you haven't paid the fine.
    2006/12/18 10:11:36 Repoman -> DS : If the police stop you and take away your car
    2006/12/18 10:11:40 DS -> Repoman : You have my email address when I sent the abuse mail re the Duffryn incident. When you are ready to talk sense, mail me on that.
    2006/12/18 10:12:18 DS -> Repoman : This is another record of an unsuccessful attempt at being reasonable with you.
    2006/12/18 10:12:28 Repoman -> DS : And they demand the fine is going to paid..your not going to say ..I need to have a look at my car..especially inside.
    2006/12/18 10:12:44 Repoman -> DS : I have told you what YOU have to do.
    2006/12/18 10:12:50 Repoman -> DS : Number of things done = 0.
    2006/12/18 10:12:58 Repoman -> DS : You have demand me some proof.
    2006/12/18 10:13:02 Repoman -> DS : I gave e-mail logs.
    2006/12/18 10:13:12 Repoman -> DS : I can provide your cron screenshots right now.
    2006/12/18 10:14:43 Repoman -> DS : Now if your still going to say we have been unreasonable. I am ending this conversation now and contacting my lawyer in the morning and going to let him sort it all out.
    2006/12/18 10:14:50 DS -> Repoman : Egor, I do not know where you come from. You are accusing DS of something that has to be proved to be his doing. You demand your "fine" etc. It does not work that way Egor.
    2006/12/18 10:15:03 Repoman -> DS : I have given proof
    2006/12/18 10:15:06 Repoman -> DS : E-mail logs.
    2006/12/18 10:15:18 Repoman -> DS : after that you still demand proof?
    2006/12/18 10:15:21 Repoman -> DS : What other proof is ther?
    2006/12/18 10:15:22 Repoman -> DS : There*
    2006/12/18 10:15:26 Repoman -> DS : Fact's are...
    2006/12/18 10:15:38 DS -> Repoman : In the western world people have rights. Think about that. Talk to your attornies friends (the good ones) etc. They will tell you the same.
    2006/12/18 10:15:38 Repoman -> DS : Your overloaded server, caused network distruption and there is a fine to that.
    2006/12/18 10:16:08 Repoman -> DS : Yes. We have rights to.
    2006/12/18 10:16:08 DS -> Repoman : Prove that DS did overload the server!!! Prove that he did that!!!
    2006/12/18 10:16:20 Repoman -> DS : He did by sending e-mail
    2006/12/18 10:16:22 Repoman -> DS : E-mails*
    2006/12/18 10:16:59 DS -> Repoman : If you can not understand that5 - you have no business being in this business and you are putting all your clients at risk of your obviously lacking judhgement.!!!
    2006/12/18 10:16:59 Repoman -> DS : I have proof to that.
    2006/12/18 10:17:18 DS -> Repoman : All you have show is result, not ground cause!
    2006/12/18 10:17:27 Repoman -> DS : Oh..
    2006/12/18 10:17:33 DS -> Repoman : If you do not understand that, tough! For you!
    2006/12/18 10:17:48 Repoman -> DS : So when police say you were speeding in this case I am police and speeding was overloading.
    2006/12/18 10:17:52 Repoman -> DS : result fine.
    2006/12/18 10:17:58 Repoman -> DS : cause = sending to many emails.
    2006/12/18 10:18:03 DS -> Repoman : First. "He sent emails"
    2006/12/18 10:18:37 Repoman -> DS : E-Mails that overloaded the server.
    2006/12/18 10:18:45 DS -> Repoman : So you are saying DS sat at the kbd sening himself mails the whole time, 4 / minutes till there was 5000!
    2006/12/18 10:18:52 DS -> Repoman : Is that correct?
    2006/12/18 10:19:23 Repoman -> DS : I don't know what he done but fact's are there is a log to prove that he did.
    2006/12/18 10:19:39 Repoman -> DS : Now if you are still going to argue about that fact end of conversation. Period.
    2006/12/18 10:20:10 DS -> Repoman : "I don't know what he done" - Thank you!!!
    2006/12/18 10:20:26 DS -> Repoman : .."fact's are there is a log"... sure
    2006/12/18 10:20:34 Repoman -> DS : What do you mean sure..
    2006/12/18 10:20:38 Repoman -> DS : I already showed you it.
    2006/12/18 10:20:51 DS -> Repoman : .."prove that he did" - You have not proven that.
    2006/12/18 10:20:58 Repoman -> DS : Yes I have ...
    2006/12/18 10:21:02 DS -> Repoman : You showed result!
    2006/12/18 10:21:02 Repoman -> DS : With a log.
    2006/12/18 10:21:12 Repoman -> DS : **** URL ****filetran/exim_mainlog
    2006/12/18 10:21:17 Repoman -> DS : ^ oh yeah ..What's that ...
    2006/12/18 10:21:28 Repoman -> DS : That's evidence..evidence of him sending mails.
    2006/12/18 10:21:41 Repoman -> DS : You cannot face the facts that your son has done something wrong.
    2006/12/18 10:21:55 Repoman -> DS : Goodbye. You might get a letter or phone call tommorrow not sure which.
    2006/12/18 10:22:23 DS -> Repoman : Egor, I wish you were in one of the courts where I have been. You obviously lack basic understanding and skills that are essential to what you are doing.
    2006/12/18 10:23:00 DS -> Repoman : This log *WILL* be published. Let the ppublic decide.
    2006/12/18 10:23:08 DS -> Repoman : *public
    2006/12/18 10:23:31 DS -> Repoman : It is in the best interest of all netizens to observe this.
    2006/12/18 10:23:47 Repoman -> DS : You will then be sued not only for not reading our tos and doing what's necessary, but also for sharing private information.


    Items asterix'ed **** out are where I share a personal opinion on the issue at hand not relevant to anybody else or to protect innocent parties.
    The names DS and Repoman have been changed from original to the relevant names here.

    In the mail logs, the mail logs being the only ones to be released for two days, there are in fact four sites exceeding the limit. Since any attempt to really look into the matter was hampered, I am not sure if this was in fact the same "mysterious" issue. Yet, I have found traces of various issues before and during this period, not related to DS. Google is your friend.

    It comes back to the golden rules of debugging: What has changed.

    This story does have a happy ending though. The website in question is now running happily on another shared hosting plan with the exact same code etc and zero issues.

  25. #25
    lol, funny how you delete parts..

    www.wattproxy.info


  26. #26
    Which parts? The **** ? Or the names of the other parties? We could invite them here. However, I do respect their privacy.

    If you have a look, the breaks are the day splits.

    However, is there are other parts you say that is taken out, please DO post them.

    I have a log for the 19th I see, but you are welcome to post it. Here once again I request you to mail me when you are reasonable. But I guess that will not be appropriate for you.

    You will also note this already substantially differs from the yarn you have spun here.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    967
    I'm guessing it's a cPanel server? Every time a cron job is run an email is sent to the address on the cron setup screen. Most other control panels have this same feature I believe.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    3,795
    Quite a bit of links, including the TOS link don't work on the siko site. Aside from "Developer" being spelled wrong, not sure why you felt safe going with this company for a host ders.
    AYKsolutions.com - High Bandwidth Specialists - 100TB/1Gbps/10Gbps Unmetered/CDN/DDOS Protected
    Over 20 Global Locations - Asia, Mexico, Brazil, India, Australia, US, CA, EU - Bare Metal and Virtual Cloud. All Managed.
    View our current Specials.
    We are Professional. Painless. Polite.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    West Michigan, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    Looks like the client's script got hacked and started sending out emails. As a host, I would have talked to the client and given him logs/proof and access to his account to fix the problem. I certainly wouldn't debug the thing for him, but I would have given him a chance to fix it. I'd watch the account very closely for a few days and if I noticed any other issues, I'd suspend it permenantly.

    In all my years of hosting (almost 10 years now), I have *never* had a client with malicious intent contact me afterwards. Spammers, hackers, etc. do their damage and just move on when you suspend them. This doesn't seem malicious at all.

    I'm not sure what the point of the "disturbance fee" is. Twenty five dollars certainly isn't going to pay for admin time to clean up the mess and certainly isn't going to teach anyone a lesson (it was an accident, apparently). It just seems...erm...a bit vindictive. I guess I don't understand why the host didn't want to work with the client to resolve this and keep him as a customer...unless I'm missing something that's obvious to the host, but not to me.

    --Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    307
    Half the links don`t work on your website Siko Hosting!

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,167
    This whole thing just made me chuckle

    "2006/12/18 08:02:26 DS -> Repoman : how much will it be anyways?
    2006/12/18 08:02:29 Repoman -> DS : Hold on a second.
    2006/12/18 08:02:34 Repoman -> DS : $25 if I am correct.
    2006/12/18 08:02:41 Repoman -> DS : Let me double check our TOS.
    2006/12/18 08:02:47 Repoman -> DS : One of the staff may have edited it
    2006/12/18 08:02:57 DS -> Repoman : I DID NOT send that many emails"

    Yeah, I bet one of your "staff" edited the, uh, non linked terms of service. Oh, and you don't have any staff. You don't have a lawyer and if you're making a fuss about $25 then you really need to ask for an allowance raise. I'm amazed mommy lets you have computer time if you're this cranky.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    98
    From what I'm seeing is something on the server was disabled for a while. Could that not have caused the cron jobs to fail and send many error emails to the gmail account, putting more strain on the server and crashing it?
    The most effective way to host your site

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    1,849
    Not doubting your point here or anything but I'd advise against posting everything so publically. Potential clients will start doubting your professionalism (irrespective of whether they're spammers or not).

    Simple words of advice: Terminate the account, move on with your life. Why is one account worth so much effort?
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by ReyoxHosting
    Not doubting your point here or anything but I'd advise against posting everything so publically. Potential clients will start doubting your professionalism (irrespective of whether they're spammers or not).

    Simple words of advice: Terminate the account, move on with your life. Why is one account worth so much effort?
    Agreed. A client is not worth the added stress.

    You can do your best to offer them the best services, but if they are disrespectful enough to not be thankful and just try turning it around on you, then just move on. You can find other customers and I'm sure you have others.

    No point in wasting time. As said above though, it's fine to explain the situation on here, but posting the situation might not be the way to go.

    Anyways good luck!

  35. #35
    Me personally, i don't host for the lowest common denominator. I like my a-typical clients that demand service and work with them to make it better. When you go over and beyond what you think your lowest common denominator is people will respect you and pay you for it.

    I live people that send out email, setup cron jobs, try to grow there business by utilizing my services and i look forward to working with them and providing knowledge/expertise in doing in the best way.

    I would never shutoff a client for something like this nore would i ever generalize my service so much in my ToS that people fear being successfull.

    There are ways to pragmatically solve this such as better management of exim, better processing/filtering of email and being a bit more pro-active in thinking about your scenerio before acting on it.

    Thats my 2 cents

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •